LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159329 - 09/09/02 12:38 AM Sturgeon on the Puyallup?
fromcuthroattosteelies Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
Tried my luck on the Nestle Quik river yesterday and some guy told me how his son caught a sturgeon down below Fred Meyer the day before. I tried not to laugh but another guy backed up his claim that there are quite a few large ones that make their way up every now and then. Weird.......

#159330 - 09/09/02 12:54 AM Re: Sturgeon on the Puyallup?
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
That is a new one on me.....

#159331 - 09/09/02 04:20 AM Re: Sturgeon on the Puyallup?
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
I've been fishing the Puy since I was about 7 (25 years). Dad much longer. Fished the old Hiho hole (aka by fred meyers) for years until they shut gates down. Never heard nor seen a sturgeon. Not saying it's not possible. But never heard of it. Maybe they were newbies and caught a big bullhead and thought it was a sturgeon??? Weirder things have happened. Had a guy fishing in December show me this very LATE silver he caught. I had to inform him it was a big native steelhead. LOL. Some guys have no clue.

Northwest River Fisherman

#159332 - 09/09/02 05:06 AM Re: Sturgeon on the Puyallup?
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
Stranger things have been caught in the PEW. Anyone remember [headlines] when a plunker caught a bucket with a head half cemented in it? That must have been 12 years or so... It was at the mouth of Clark's Creek.

Downriggin'

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#159333 - 09/09/02 04:36 PM Re: Sturgeon on the Puyallup?
BillyBob Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kapowsin, Wa
I once hooked into a pair of blue jeans in the Puyallup. They put up a pretty good fight in the current. Fortunately, there were no body parts in them. As far as Sturgeon go, it is conceiveable that one would wander up the river. Wasn't there one in Lake Washington a few years back?

#159334 - 09/09/02 08:46 PM Re: Sturgeon on the Puyallup?
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
OK, time to spill the beans. Yes there are sturgeon on the puyallup. My buddy in the fisheries down there during test fisheries has landed several. One trip they got five, from 30 inches to OH MY GOD! KEEP IT OUT OF THE BOAT! Somewhere around ten foot or so. The next week got 6, all small. All fish turned loose except one, 55 inches. It weas bleeding from the gills. I keep waiting for the poor plunker who gets the shock of their life when that ten footer inhales the bait. laugh Most of these fish come and go. Last year there was a dead one in Clarks Creek. BTW, I caught my first sturgeon on the White river in 1991. It was about 4 inches long. I thought it was a bullhead at first then looked closer and saw the markings. So maybe there is a spawning stock there.

#159335 - 09/10/02 03:22 AM Re: Sturgeon on the Puyallup?
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
I wouldn't be suprised if there's a small population of sturgeon in most WA rivers.

#159336 - 09/10/02 10:27 AM Re: Sturgeon on the Puyallup?
fishtale Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kng
They are in all the tribs.of the Puyallup the White(Stuck).Carbon and even South Prairie Creek.My uncle showed me how to fish on the Puyallup in the mid to late 60's. We fished all of these places and I saw a 6ft sturgeon in South Prairie Creek I got scared and screemed for my uncle.When he saw what it was all he could do was roll on the ground laughing at me!!! I thought it was a SHARK!!!! eek

#159337 - 09/10/02 10:32 AM Re: Sturgeon on the Puyallup?
eggroller Offline
Parr

Loc: FT Lewis, WA
Saw one caught out of the nasty in the summer of 98 or 99, about 4 ft. right above the mounts road bridge, if they arent broodstock...they are probably just wandering around. I personally don't know much about them.

#159338 - 09/10/02 09:07 PM Re: Sturgeon on the Puyallup?
elmtree69 Offline
Fry

Loc: tacoma
Yeah, just like big jim said, a couple of years ago a 4 foot sturgen was found dead in the low waters of the clarks creek, just below the fish hatchery.
There was only about 5-6 inches of water flowing from the hatchery because it was this time of year, low water level's.

Speaking of low water levels on the Puyallup.
Went by there yesterday, the water was nearly gone, and the fisher's where waiting for the time to change and wait for the kings to roll in.
The water level was even low on the white when i past by in sumner.

eek eek laugh

#159339 - 09/11/02 08:24 PM Re: Sturgeon on the Puyallup?
grumpyr Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Orygun
I was fishing the point on the PU in 1975 when a guy hooked the carcass of old Kyle Mountainchief. He'd fallen in the Stuck up by the Riverside Tavern about 3 days prior. Pretty bad show.
Grumpyr frown frown

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bassmaster, jensen2592, PaulS, ROBYNS, SHARPSHOOTER
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Salmo g., DrifterWA), 751 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63816 Topics
645850 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |