LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164604 - 11/08/02 04:12 PM Hoodsport area wind-protected launches?
DaleD Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Washington
Hi guys,

Anybody know of any wind-protected launches for when I fish Hoodsport? I don't mind paying at a marina, if needed.

That Tacoma Public Utilities ramp is, I THINK, not terribly protected from the wind if we get 20mph winds...makes it a bit rough launching and de-launching.

Thanks!

#164605 - 11/08/02 09:09 PM Re: Hoodsport area wind-protected launches?
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
That launch is actually somewhat protected. I launched there this morning. The wind was blowing pretty good at the hatchery, and especially on the other side of the canal, but the launch was calm.

Of course, it all depends on where the wind is coming from.

Regards.

Finegrain
Woodinville

Finegrain
Woodinville

#164606 - 11/08/02 09:12 PM Re: Hoodsport area wind-protected launches?
Fisheromen Offline
Fry

Loc: Portland, OR
I'm interested in the same thing, was there once by myself and got the *!#@#$ beat out of my boat because the waves were so bad.

#164607 - 11/08/02 10:35 PM Re: Hoodsport area wind-protected launches?
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Like Finegrain said, the Tacoma Power launch is somewhat protected, from north and south wind. I was over there today and fished from shore. I was surprised how calm the water was, in the Zone, considering there was a big T-storm rolling through to the south.

#164608 - 11/09/02 01:50 AM Re: Hoodsport area wind-protected launches?
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
Easy,

How did you do? I didn't so good. The other boats around me didn't seem to be doing so good either, but the Flyboys in their rafts seemed to be getting into them.

Do they always put on an aerial show like they did today? Jeez. I thought I might get a fish to jump into the boat and save me the trouble of reeling him in rolleyes .

Regards.

Finegrain
Woodinville

Finegrain
Woodinville

#164609 - 11/09/02 07:53 AM Re: Hoodsport area wind-protected launches?
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

I hooked into a dozen fish from shore in a couple of hours. Yes, the chums are always acrobatic.

#164610 - 11/11/02 11:59 AM Re: Hoodsport area wind-protected launches?
Kev Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell, Wa
Question for you guys, was over in the Hoodsport area checking things out yesterday, stopped at the Tacoma Public Utilities ramp to scope it out for future use, it was packed, must have been 50 rigs with trailers. Continued up the road to the Hoodsport Hatchery war zone and noticed only a handful of boats anchored out in front, where were all the other boats? Chasing schools farther up north? South? Saw lots and lots of nets south of the hatchery extending 50'+ out, be careful not to run to close to shore!

Kev

#164611 - 11/11/02 02:01 PM Re: Hoodsport area wind-protected launches?
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Kev, I have wondered that very same thing. Lots of trailers in the parking lot and not as many boats at the Zone. I don't know where they go, kind of weird. All I can think is that some of those trailers may belong to the netters and they go north or stay south of the Zone to check their nets. So, you don't notice all of the boats at one time. what

#164612 - 11/11/02 02:22 PM Re: Hoodsport area wind-protected launches?
Kev Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell, Wa
That may be the case, there was one boat there heading out with nets in the bow. We saw at least a dozen nets that were set and no boats around. I can see the advantage of fishing from a boat out in front of the hatchery. I'm just interested to see if people are finding big schools farther north, moving down.

#164613 - 11/11/02 09:24 PM Re: Hoodsport area wind-protected launches?
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Sunday, I fished on a beach north of the Zone. I was with six other guys and we occupied the whole beach. It was cool because no one else could fish with us. The schools of chums would come and go. You would fish for a while, then stop, then fish some more as the schools would move around.

#164614 - 11/11/02 10:40 PM Re: Hoodsport area wind-protected launches?
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
There is a boat hoist just north of Hoodsport - never have used it myself and it doesn't show up on the IAC boat launch page, but it's up around a couple corners at one of the resorts between Hoodsport and Lilliwaup. Not even sure that they run it this time of the year, but it looks real busy during shrimp season huh

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bassmaster, jensen2592, PaulS, ROBYNS, SHARPSHOOTER
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Salmo g., DrifterWA), 751 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63816 Topics
645850 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |