locations:
Greg’s Custom Rods,
John’s Sporting Goods,
Ted’s Sports Center,
3 Rivers Marine,
Triangle Beverage & Bait
Mc Daniel’s Do-It Center
Kid’s Derby is “Any species of Fish”
Caught in Lake Stevens on the day of the Derby.
Triangle
Beverage & Bait
ROTTEN CHUM
GUIDE SERVICE

1ST ANNUAL LAKE STEVENS KOKANEE DERBY
SATURDAY MAY 22ND, 2010
PRESENTED BY
SNOHOMISH SPORTSMEN’S CLUB, LAKE STEVENS LIONS CLUB,NSIA NORTH
DERBY RULES
1. Tickets sales will close on Fri. May 21st 2010 at close of business at listed outlets.
2. Only fish caught in Lake Stevens on the day of Derby will be eligible for weigh in.
3. Angler must be present to claim prizes.
4. Weigh –In will be from 10am to 2pm @ the weigh-in station at North Cove Park, adjacent to the downtown boat launch. Awards @ 3pm.
5. All WDFW rules apply. All decisions of the derby officials are final. In the case of a tie, it will be determined by earliest weigh in.
6. Any attempt to artificially enhance the weight of any fish will result in immediate disqualification.
7. Winning Derby fish will be determined by weight to the hundredth of a pound.
8. The Snohomish Sportsmen’s Club, The Lake Stevens Lions Club, the NSIA North, Volunteers, and Sponsors accept no responsibilities for loss, or harm to any boat, vehicle, equipment, contestant, passenger or observer during this event. The Derby ticket purchaser agrees to hold harmless all derby Presenters, Volunteers, Sponsors and or Agents from any or all liability in connection with this derby.
9. The ticket purchaser agrees that any appropriate prize tax shall be the sole responsibility of the prize winner, and that the aforementioned derby organization shall have no liability for any such tax or fees. The prize winner shall also furnish their tax identification number if so requested before the awarding of prizes.
10. For more information please call Greg’s Custom Rods @ 425-3351391 or Snohomish Sportsmen’s Club @ 425-2100833

#595266 - 04/16/10 12:30 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: ReiterRat]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: edmonds
Oh John (Rotten Chum Guide Service) whatcha got going May 22 ?

The neat thing about this deal is ALL the profit goes back to
Fish Enhancement !!! If I understand this correctly...
+10 To ALL envolved...

#595269 - 04/16/10 12:37 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: ReiterRat]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snoho County
Looking forward to it...still got open dates if anybody wants to experience it before the derby...13 takedowns in a couple hours after work a couple of days ago. Here's a few from last year...

425-280-5494

#595270 - 04/16/10 12:39 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Rotten Chum]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

Rog,
Still not sure if I want to fish it with friends or with clients...what the hell are you still doing up?
425-280-5494

#595328 - 04/16/10 12:01 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Rotten Chum]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

Gonna fish it with friends...who else is fishing it?
425-280-5494

#595403 - 04/16/10 08:30 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Rotten Chum]
huntncoug Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Echo Lake
i may be in.

#595426 - 04/16/10 11:49 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: huntncoug]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

It's a real good time n the fish are excellent table fare (Good eats)

Edited by RognSue (04/16/10 11:50 PM)

#595670 - 04/19/10 02:40 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Rotten Chum]
Winterun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tac/Puy
I'll be up your way fishing in the derby. Representing the south end and "Tacoma Compton". Will probably have some American Lake regulars follow me up too.

Should be a good time for everyone involved!

Winterun!

#595792 - 04/20/10 12:31 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Winterun]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

Introduce yourself winterun...always fun to meet a new face...should be a good time.
425-280-5494

#595824 - 04/20/10 11:14 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Rotten Chum]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Team Herzog Vedder will be participating.

#595827 - 04/20/10 11:46 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Dave Vedder]
Winterun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tac/Puy
Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder
Team Herzog Vedder will be participating.

Yikes!!!!!
Dave,
I knew Bill was fishing also, but he didn't tell me he was bringing in a "ringer"!!!

RC (John),
I'll look for you on the water!

Should be a good time folks!

Winterun!

#595886 - 04/20/10 03:33 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Winterun]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

Lots of people have expressed their concern to me about the derby...too many people fishing the lake...too many fish will be taken...these fish are public fish...and the hatchery up north that spits these little pups out has been threatened to be shut down...this derby is a great cause and in my eyes will be beneficial to the future of Kokanee fishing in our state.
425-280-5494

#595946 - 04/20/10 09:09 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Rotten Chum]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
John, Your right about raising the image of kokanee fishing here and this will be beneficial to the future of kokanee here. We need more people to be involved and this should be looked at as an opportunity to raise awareness of an underutilized resource.

These fish are not subject to the whims of commercial fishing, ocean survival and the big water boats that one needs to fish the salt.

I plan to fish it and look forward to a quality event by all the sponsors and people involved, see you there.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#596032 - 04/21/10 08:18 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Rotten Chum -
How is the derby going to help with the potential closure of the Whatcom kokanee hatchery?

The issue there is not a question of the need of those kokanee eggs but a water quality issue that may arise if Chinook are allowed above the Middle Fork diverson dam (which diverts water to Whatcom).

Fishy -
While there a number of kokanee fisheries in this State that are likely under utilized I'm not sure that Stevens is one of those. My observation is that kokanee pressure on Stevens has doubled in recent years (at least during the first 6 weeks of the "season").

Tight lines
Curt

#596040 - 04/21/10 09:17 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Smalma]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Curt,

Perhaps with new interest in Kokanee fishing our hatchery dept will take a renewed approach in taking care of the water quality issue.

I know that some people have been very avid kokanee fisherman (I know that your one) but this is new to many and since the seasons on other waters are left to vagaries that only a psychic could decipher, alternatives on these lakes seem to be the next logical solution. Underutilized when compared to other fisheries.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#596045 - 04/21/10 10:30 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Somethingsmellsf
Curt,

Perhaps with new interest in Kokanee fishing our hatchery dept will take a renewed approach in taking care of the water quality issue.

I know that some people have been very avid kokanee fisherman (I know that your one) but this is new to many and since the seasons on other waters are left to vagaries that only a psychic could decipher, alternatives on these lakes seem to be the next logical solution. Underutilized when compared to other fisheries.

Fishy

I agree fishy...proving enough public interest in Kokanee has potential to motivate the state to fix the water quality problem up there...if not they could potentially move the hatchery elsewhere. I am not and expert and don't claim to be...but if kokanee are not seen as a revenue maker...they will probably get dumped.
425-280-5494

#596049 - 04/21/10 10:58 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Fishy -
Again having increased interest in kokanee is not going to make a difference to the potential problem at the Lake Whatcom hatchery. The issue is that if anadromous fish gain access to the river above the Lake Whatcom water intake there is the very real potential of those fish bring one of several very nasty virus to the system. If salmon gain access to that portion of the basin current (and prudent) disease policies would require that all individuals in the brood stock be tested to insure they are virus free before eggs/fry can be transferred or planted in other watersheds.

Because of the massive number of fish spawned every year at that hatchery complete testing is a virtual physical and economic impossibility. Currently with the long history of the kokanee brood stock being disease fry the State only has to test a 100 or so (don't recall the exact number) of the brood fish every year. Because the Whatcom kokanee are so small they have a low fecundity (only a little over 250 eggs/females). That means that depending on how large the program egg take is between 50,000 to more than 100,000 adult kokanee are spawn every year at Whatcom and each would need to be tested.

If all the fish tested are diseased free then the fish can be planted as they have been in the past. However if there are positive tests they no planting (eggs buried) ala the current steelhead situation Quillayute.

Regarding the popularity of kokanee fishing. I'm not sure than many folks realize how popular kokanee fishing all ready is. The last WDFW angler preference survey in 2002 -

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/papers/2002_survey_resident_anglers/2002_survey_resident_anglers.pdf

found that 30% of the State's anglers had fished for kokanee at least once the previous year. That compares favorably to some other species - for example 42% had fished for salmon, 31% had fished for bass and 24% had fished for winter steelhead.

That same study found that 4% of the anglers considered kokanee their most preferred species to fish for for. Again that compares with the % reported for other species - winter steelhead 6%, bass 10%, sturgeon 3%, panfish 3%.

Again the preference survey was in 2002 and at least locally on Stevens it is my observation is that kokanee interest has increase significantly since then.

BTW - Even though derbies are not my thing and I will not be fishing the derby (good news for those that are -LOL) I do wish those putting the derby on and those that do fish it a successful event and a good time by all.

tight lines
Curt

#596056 - 04/21/10 11:23 AM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Smalma]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Rotten Chum -
As the angler preference above indicates it is all ready been established that there is an interest in kokanee in this State. However as it has being demostrated time and again when it comes to potential salmon recovery interests and hunting and fishing interests potential recovery actions usually win. The good news (at least for the short term) is that currently getting salmon above the Middle Fork Nooksack dam is going to be expensive and funding is not available.

FYI -
The State did a study looking for potential hatchery sites to replace the Whatcom kokanee hatchery. Because of the unique needs for such a facility no suitable replacement for a state wide program site was found. There were several smaller potential sites identified that would provide some eggs for some of the local needs in some areas of the State. Unfortuantely to my knowledge no potential site was found for egg sources for replacement program needs in our immediate area.

Maybe if you or any of the other derby organizers talk with WDFW about kokanee enhance potentials and you learn anything new you can report back to us.

Tight lines
Curt

#596080 - 04/21/10 12:48 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Smalma]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

I think you should fish it...you'll win for sure...
425-280-5494

#596085 - 04/21/10 01:09 PM Re: Lake Stevens Kokanee Derby [Re: Rotten Chum]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

[quote=Rotten Chum]...you'll win for sure...

Or come in 2nd to Team Vedder/Herzog

As mentioned before, if all or even some of the money generated from ticket sales is somehow put toward the enhancement of the fish or the lake it sounds like a good cause and a great excuse to go fishing ...
And since I fish my better half, I need no excuses.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bassmaster, jensen2592, PaulS, ROBYNS, SHARPSHOOTER
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Lifter99, steely slammer), 1123 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63816 Topics
645856 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |