LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#67707 - 07/23/02 05:34 PM Night fishing for bass?
sk33ter Offline
Egg

Loc: seattle
Hello All,

Wondering if any of you have experience fishing for bass at night in Washington Lakes.

Tomorrow night is a full moon, and with this warm weather, I was thinking about trying Lk. Washington for some night time fishing.

Guess I'm just hoping to get some top-water action going - I have the hardest time catching fish in that lake during the day...

Any tips or stories are greatly appreciated.

Thanks and tight lines.

Tom
Seattle

#67708 - 07/24/02 02:58 AM Re: Night fishing for bass?
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
i used to night fish north lake in federal way. that was about 10 years ago and i dont know if there is all night access anymore, they may lock the gate at night. a night with a full moon is the best, especially this time of year when its so hot. you will get the best topwater action at night, the bass strike harder and are less shy.

what area of the state are you looking to fish?? maybe if you can narrow it down we could give you better advice on lakes

#67709 - 07/24/02 04:05 PM Re: Night fishing for bass?
Bart Offline
Fry

Loc: Kirkland, WA
We used to do it all the time in Texas, but haven't tried it here yet. But you did get me thinking.

Top water plugs,poppers,chuggers cast tight to the bank. Let set until the ripples disappear, twitch once or twice, let set again. You're trying to generate noise/disturbance. The strikes are hard, noisey and darn near heart stopping.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Now if could just figure out how to rig a runninglight on my pontoon boat.

#67710 - 07/25/02 03:25 AM Re: Night fishing for bass?
justakick Offline
Alevin

Loc: Spokane
Bart from Texas hit it on the nose. Just about the time you think nothing is out there in the dark water...WHAM!!! eek
I picked up a beautiful bucketmouth out at Chapman Lake fishing a popper on a flyrod. It was completely dark, except for the starlight. I couldn't see the strike, but my rod sure reacted fast! He vaulted out of the water three times and I had to land him by flashlight. Bass cruise the shoreline in the evening looking for frogs, injured fish, ducklings, etc. They are ferocious hunters. The noise thing is really the key. Random twitches and pauses are important.
If you want to raise the excitement level a bit, find a lake that has Northern Pike in it and follow the same tactics. You may want to have an extra pair of shorts with you though. laugh
Have fun and let us know how you made out.
wink

#67711 - 07/25/02 09:17 AM Re: Night fishing for bass?
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Bass fanatics -
In the past I have night fish bass a fair amount. A couple observations. Night fish can some what hit or miss. Awesome at times and a bust the next. Average size of those fish caught typically larger than during the day.

Found clear lakes more consistent than stained water. The nights around the full or dark of the moon were the best, though it is easier to fish on the full (less problems). Best times were from an hour after dark until 1 or 2AM and again just before dawn (fish at dusk is also good but consider that to be daytime). Also sometimes a good bite at moon rise. Best lures were spinnerbatis, buzz baits, worms/jigs and surface plugs. Best color was black followed by black. A word of caution about surface plugs - use with care. While surface action is a hoot because the stike nearly always catches you by surprise the tendency is to set the hook HARD! This can result in an unseen plug with all its trebles flying towards you - can result in some really ugly injuries.

At night always fished water that I knew well (less problems), usually had only 1 rod rig (less problems), and found spinnerbaits and buzz baits the most consistent (less problems).

Also found that steady retrieves were better than erratic - easier for the fish to track and correctly zero in on the bait; result was more solid takes.
Tight lines
Smalma

#67712 - 07/25/02 03:43 PM Re: Night fishing for bass?
Spinyray in OKC Offline
Alevin

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK.
I've found that when it's really hot, and I mean 90 or above, the big boys don't get too active until around dusk and then into the night. Best chances during the day are when it's cloudy, and even better right after the sun dips behind the clouds for awhile. But, a consistent evening/nighttime offering is the good 'ol white/grey tiger-striped jitterbug made by Arbogast. (black stripes) It's got a rattle and makes a real ruckus with it's butterfly type wings that are concave torwards the head of the lure. Let it settle, then a short 2 or 3 second retrieve and pause for about 5 seconds or so, then repeat the process. Usually around the second or third progression and WHAM! eek Fish on! After 4 or 5 progressions it's best to reel and try again.
I agree with the previous posters about the bass cruising the shallows at night. Ducklings, birds, frogs can be easy prey...While pond fishing in Stillwater, OK. in the early evening i've seen a 2 to 3 lb bass go airborne 2' into the air to snag a small sparrow on an overhanging branch. he didn't get the bird mad , but it was certainly amazing to watch him try! laugh

#67713 - 07/25/02 11:57 PM Re: Night fishing for bass?
josh870 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Everett, WA, usa
remember dont set the hook till you feel them not at the sound. you will jerk it away from them.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
arroem, Bill G, eddie, MetalheadMatt
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, Denham, steely slammer), 916 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13411
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63813 Topics
645816 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |