THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#755806 - 04/25/12 01:32 PM Dumb New Samish River Regs.........
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
SAMISH RIVER (Skagit/Whatcom Co.)
from mouth to Farm-to-Market Rd.
Bridge

ALL SPECIES - Aug. 1-Nov. 30: night closure, only one single-point hook allowed, and bait or lure must be suspended below a float.

What the *%*$*$ is this? I can't even fish a spinner, spoon, or buzz bomb? This is dumb, dumb, dumb. I can't believe I have to use a float. WDFW is so bizarre.......

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#755807 - 04/25/12 01:33 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

I honestly think this is a new low for WDFW. They won't consider fly only regs, bait bans, mandatory wild steelhead release.........but they will force me to use a bobber. Gee thanks.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#755810 - 04/25/12 01:45 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Pretty strange regs, I must agree.

#755813 - 04/25/12 01:54 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
Time to perfect the art of bobber flossin.

Could be fun to fish there again if the water and fish aren't all stired up. 500 guy snaggin fish with jigs that swear the Kings are diggen em up out of the mud has turned the place into a zoo. I would love to go back if it was like the old days again. Kings under a bobber are awsome but there will be a ton of wasted fish up at the hatchery without 95 % of the fish being flossed out of the river. Hey maybe lower Skagit sockeye will hit jigs on the bottom.

#755821 - 04/25/12 02:10 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Achewter]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Plus, they are forcing me to use a bobber to catch hatchery kings of a non-native strain on river that had few of them historically, that are going back to a hatchery that does not have a problem reaching its egg take goals.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#755823 - 04/25/12 02:17 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Iwant2fish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Whatcom County
I think it is great. banana

#755827 - 04/25/12 02:25 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Iwant2fish]
steelhead59 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Olympia, WA
You can actually fish a spinner under a float . Seen a guy doing this year for winters on the coast. It was a slow morning for fishing, this guy showed up with a center pin reel, float and spinner and he put on a clinic. Rat bastard caught like 6 fish in a hour or less.

#755832 - 04/25/12 02:45 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: steelhead59]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
At least it doesn't say you have to have the hook "inside the mouth" like some areas. crazy

#755839 - 04/25/12 02:59 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: ParaLeaks]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

I agree with the regulation due to bad fishing practices/behavior in the past.
The river is still open considering a possible closure if I remember right.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#755841 - 04/25/12 03:06 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: steelhead59]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: steelhead59
You can actually fish a spinner under a float . Seen a guy doing this year for winters on the coast. It was a slow morning for fishing, this guy showed up with a center pin reel, float and spinner and he put on a clinic. Rat bastard caught like 6 fish in a hour or less.

They do that up on the Vedder in BC, go way to fish slower water and not lose spinners.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#755842 - 04/25/12 03:08 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Jerry Garcia]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
I don't fish the river but, Jason, I think you are one of the few people that doesn't like this rule. Everyone I know that fishes that river LOVES this.

#755854 - 04/25/12 03:56 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
bhudda Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: S River central
haha...Spoon under a float,ala' Dan Little:) worx!!!

#755859 - 04/25/12 04:34 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: bhudda]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Well my preferred method doesn't involve a float but I typically limited out in less than a half hour, sometimes in minutes, and all the fish are in the mouth. There is no way to fish this method with a float. There goes hundreds of pounds of meat that I like to eat.

Guess how many I snagged in the back last season? Zero. That is the honest to God truth.

I also went to this area at high tide and threw Vibrax and Buzz Bombs to jumping salmon at times with some success. This is now illegal.

Aaron, your friends clearly like to fish floats. Those guys will like this reg and that goes without saying.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#755860 - 04/25/12 04:36 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Also, if anyone thinks this reg will make is easier for them to fish afloat they are dead wrong. Now every devolved inbreed down there is going to be float fishing too. This will negatively effect the float guys I guarantee it.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#755869 - 04/25/12 05:27 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

Is this method a big secret or are you afraid the "inbreeds" will catch on?

Does it involve a special color of yarn or beads?

smile
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#755870 - 04/25/12 05:45 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: JTD]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

The number 1 rule is DON'T SET THE HOOK. Wait until your line is swimming away. Your fish will be in the mouth every time.

The problem is you have an unnaturally high density of fish in a ditch. You can snag them with any method including float fishing. The problem is not only intentional snagging, you will accidentally snag fish constantly unless you have a lot of patience and wait for your line to swim away.

Edited by Jason B (04/25/12 05:47 PM)

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#755872 - 04/25/12 05:50 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: JTD]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Jason B:

Seems to me that YOU need to get actively involved in setting river regulations in your area.

If you don't like a regulation, then work hard to get it changed...

Easy to "gripe", tougher to affect change!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#755877 - 04/25/12 06:09 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: ]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Originally Posted By: salmosalar
Is this a defacto no flyfishing river?

I had the same thought. I think it is.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#755880 - 04/25/12 06:22 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: ]
Blu13 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I've been fishing the Samish for years, in one of the more populated areas.

Some observations;
-I didn't believe the Jig thing when it started. Checked other peoples hooked fish myself. Surprised how many were hooked IN the mouth. Had 1/2+ hr discussion with WDFW biologist about it. He had NO answer other than they were picking it up as to why fish were being hooked IN the mouth. Asked me how low on the river we were.

-I have NEVER witnessed anyone getting a ticket, warning etc for snagging. Talked to 1 guy who got a ticket for non-movement.

-Asked the Game Warden why he wasn't down checking us more (he was in the parking lot). He said he knows we do a good job at policing ourselves. He indicated that wasn't the case in other places.

-I foul hooked far more fish and have witnessed far more fish being foul hooked using eggs, corkies etc.

-Biggest problem I have seen is the increase over the last 5 years or so of people who have NO clue. They show up with Mooching rods, 50lb test etc and have no clue what a bite is. Pretend they don't understand the rules. Some don't know them and could care less.

-I have fished eggs under a float . Hooked a couple. I think the dirty water from all the people above being in the river hampers this method. And yes, I do hook other fish using a float & eggs.

-I have no doubt this will cut back on the people and it will also cause problems. The state got over 8,500 fish back to the hatchery last year.

-The Wardens better have extra tickets for this one.

#755881 - 04/25/12 06:30 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Blu13]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
float fishing for kings is super fun. If you got what they want, they'll hit it. I'd rather catch a fish that bites willingly any day. I've never seen this fishery other than one time I stopped to have a look under the old hwy 99 bridge and found old toothless Cletus snagging kings in the back with a swim bait. I'd imagine the fish may bite pretty well on some eggs under a float without having to dodge flossing gear all the way up the river.

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bassmaster, jensen2592, PaulS, ROBYNS, SHARPSHOOTER
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (20 Gage), 1075 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63816 Topics
645856 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |