LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#634194 - 11/09/10 09:43 PM Rivers West Kenai Jacket? Who has it? Reviews?
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Hey guys. After a ton of looking I think I've settled on this jacket.

http://www.riverswest.com/kenai_jacket_solid.html

I need your opinions!

Thanks.

#634197 - 11/09/10 09:56 PM Re: Rivers West Kenai Jacket? Who has it? Reviews? [Re: The Closer]
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
The seams in my rivers west steelheader model jacket have leaked more often than not over the last five years. Mostly the shoulder seams where the straps of waders and bibs rest incedently. Never get cold in the thing for sure. I've warrantied it once and it still leaked within a year of the repair. Should do it again. Maybe a permanent fix for this. Dispite the leaking I'm pretty happy with it.

#634200 - 11/09/10 10:03 PM Re: Rivers West Kenai Jacket? Who has it? Reviews? [Re: The Closer]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

I own that very jacket but it has seen only limited use. I'll get to the reasons why in a second.

RiversWest makes a very waterproof material and after some research of my own, I was sold on that hence, the purchase.

A few things became quickly apparent:

- It has no visor. In any kind of heavy rain, expect a very wet face.

- The magnetized pockets. I'm not a fan. Seemed cool at the time....no velcro or zippers to bind but the buyer's info tag says directly "keep any contents sensitive to magnetism out of and away from the pocket magent clasps. That eliminates wallets(cards w/ magnetic strips) and possibly cell phones. If you like to hang pliers/clippers/forceps from your coat.....clang! They're glued to the magnetic pocket and not always by choice. Became annoying. Lean up against a vehicle.......clang! You get the idea.

- It doesn't breath very well. Perhaps that's a function of it's durable, water-resistant material but if I hike any distance through the brush or along a river(constantly for me) I'm soaking wet from the inside in a short amount of time. Get to the river, cool down and it became cool and clammy. Again, no breathability.

It's a shame really because the coat is constructed well and the material is pretty heavy and durable. The problem is the issues mentioned above are huge to me so it's hard to give the coat a big thumbs up. I check their website periodically to see if they've made any design changes but none to date.

My 2cents

#634206 - 11/09/10 10:36 PM Re: Rivers West Kenai Jacket? Who has it? Reviews? [Re: Eric]
Loomis Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I also have one of there lineup. I do not use it much because it does not breath at all. would be a good coat for sitting in the boat.

#634232 - 11/10/10 12:05 AM Re: Rivers West Kenai Jacket? Who has it? Reviews? [Re: Loomis]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Originally Posted By: Loomis
I also have one of there lineup. I do not use it much because it does not breath at all. would be a good coat for sitting in the boat.

Same case for me. My neoprene cuffs also tore and could no longer seal. The zipper is also toast now too. All this happened within a season or two. I should have sent it back but, at this point, it was years ago. It sits in my closet.

I eventually bought a Simms jacket I like.

Good luck.

#634236 - 11/10/10 12:21 AM Re: Rivers West Kenai Jacket? Who has it? Reviews? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
I've got a RW jacket, not that model though. I won't be buying anymore RW products. Doesn't breath so I sweat to death during early archery season even on the cooler days. During late season I do like it for sitting in blinds as it keep me warm that being said, if its raining I'm usually wet within 2-3 hours. Sitting in the front of a drift boat on cold dry days its nice to have but if it starts raining I'm reaching for the Grundens.
Would be a nice jacket for $75 to $100, I expected more for $170.

#634243 - 11/10/10 12:58 AM Re: Rivers West Kenai Jacket? Who has it? Reviews? [Re: AkKings]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
I have a camo jacket of theirs oriented towards wildfowl hunting, I don't recall the name and don't see it listed anymore but it is bulletproof. Not perfect, but bulletproof.

The velcro gets in the way and I would change the way it seals around the waist, but I have been through 2 rainy winters and have stayed perfectly dry, so I think their basic product line is good.

It is important to pick the right product for the use. Hood or not? Heavy or medium?

Better than my old school Helly Hansen and I don't know about new Simms but huge price difference.

AkKings gives a good end user perspective as well.

#634257 - 11/10/10 01:36 AM Re: Rivers West Kenai Jacket? Who has it? Reviews? [Re: Doctor Rick]
philpac33 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: offut lake/lacey
i have camo pants/jacket and like everyone else, breathability is an issue. i just don't wear it when i'm going to be doing a lot of hiking around. it works well in the rain when the plan is to ride my quad to within a half mile or so to my spot plenty early so i can take a leisurely walk in as to avoid sweating my balls off. i even wore my helly hansen impertech raingear(dark green) instead of the river's west out hunting in some nasty weather a few weeks ago knowing where i was heading was some pretty gnarly up-and-down traversing and was happier or it. my biggest issue with raingear is how noisy it is but when it's pissing and blowing i can afford to make a little more sound.

#634295 - 11/10/10 11:19 AM Re: Rivers West Kenai Jacket? Who has it? Reviews? [Re: philpac33]
gw Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Albany, Or
It's a fine boat jacket, I wouldnt bank fish with it though because you'll sweat your ass off. I've got a couple RW jackets. They keep me dry, but the nap on the outside sucks up alot of water and the jacket itself gets very heavy. Not a huge fan.

#634320 - 11/10/10 12:36 PM Re: Rivers West Kenai Jacket? Who has it? Reviews? [Re: gw]
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Damn... Sounds the jacket was a good idea, but fails in many important areas! Thanks for the info everyone!

#634321 - 11/10/10 12:37 PM Re: Rivers West Kenai Jacket? Who has it? Reviews? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

They have a 10 year warranty!

#634344 - 11/10/10 02:00 PM Re: Rivers West Kenai Jacket? Who has it? Reviews? [Re: The Closer]
Hippie

Originally Posted By: The Closer
They have a 10 year warranty!

Sweet! I'm on it.

Thanks for the info.

#634346 - 11/10/10 02:08 PM Re: Rivers West Kenai Jacket? Who has it? Reviews? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Same as everyone else.

I have a camo one. I got it used for cheap. I am thankful for that.

I wore it out in the boat fishing, and loved it. Very comfortable, warm and well desgined. No leakage anywhere in the jacket.

My problem is that I can't hunt in it, for 90% of my spots. I usually walk or mountain bike a few miles before I get to my hunting location, and with the RW jacket I am a sweaty mess.

I have successfully used it on damp mornings by packing it for the ride in, and then putting it on once I got on stand. For that it was great.

#634374 - 11/10/10 03:10 PM Re: Rivers West Kenai Jacket? Who has it? Reviews? [Re: Rocket Red]
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Does the material soak up water/leak? They claim it to be waterproof in the worst conditions?

I don't think the breathability is an issue. I sweat but layer with drifit (2 longsleeve and a vest) under my jacket usually. I am pretty thin too.

Hmmmmm. Decisions decisions!!

#634378 - 11/10/10 03:14 PM Re: Rivers West Kenai Jacket? Who has it? Reviews? [Re: The Closer]
Hippie

CLOSER: DON'T BUY ONE.

Compared to other jackets you've looked at, these are complete [censored]. No offense to anyone that loves theirs but trust those of us with personal experience that are giving you the straight facts.

I don't sweat excessively and I'm 6' and 165 pounds... well, 170 with a wet RW jacket on. You WILL sweat in that thing. The material WILL soak up water. I doubt it will leak though. I could find you a $20 rubber jacket that will do the same thing. The best thing I can say about my RW jacket is that it is/was warm, windproof, and quiet.

-AP

#634379 - 11/10/10 03:20 PM Re: Rivers West Kenai Jacket? Who has it? Reviews? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Okay!

#635005 - 11/12/10 06:38 PM Re: Rivers West Kenai Jacket? Who has it? Reviews? [Re: The Closer]
The Closer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Tried the similar hunting jacket on at sportco.. Man, I'm glad i didn't buy the kenai! Really baggy and heeeeavy!!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
lugnutt06, Sprking31
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 577 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13419
eyeFISH 12615
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63819 Topics
646038 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |