Salmo:

I'm going to get the cabelas rod replaced, but it is going to take weeks to get it fixed while as I type this the Chum run is just starting to get good and steelies are just around the corner. I also realise that I handled the situation wrong; it's not good for the rod to try to unhook a 15 pound Chum in waist deep water when it is hooked in the back dorsal fin and it is not compleatly tired out yet. My mistake.

So I bought a St. Croix 9'6" 8# from Sportco for $105. I did this so that I would have a rod to fish with for the rest of the season (and from now on) and also for the life time warrenty. The cabelas rod had a one year warrenty, which I will use so either my dad can use it or so I have a backup rod, probably both.

I will say this though. After testing the new St. Croix on some Chum yesterday, I already found that it has a little more backbone, it casts/loads up better and it has better line control.

Again thanks for everyones imput.