Salmo g wrote:
“Clearly, the ideal “short belly” winter fishing line is a hank of monofilament with as many lead shot as necessary to put your fly in the strike zone and hold it there. Unfortunately, there isn’t much fly casting “grace” involved in that style.”

Unfortunately there is grace in casting those “Skagit Line” (with 136 grains Ed Ward style sink-tips), with less body movement the ease of casting these line system makes all different in the world when winter condition are around, and you do run into the same condition in the summer in the PNW.

At the Sandy River Spey Clave Ed showed his style of casting on a light two-handed rod to make a point, that you can use light rods with this style of line and casting technique.

SA came out with a series of “Spey Short Head” lines design by Al, and there is another company coming out with a local GUYS design of “Skagit Line”.

I can’t remember how many “Skagit Lines” I made at Skagit Anglers (in Mt. Vernon, WA.) nor do I remember how many I’ve made since but a lot of those people come from all over, from Norway, Canada, East coast .

While it time to cast a “Skagit Line” maybe you would change your mind?

One of the top “Skagit” casters in the area Ed Ward is totally amazing. He has showed any one who asks him about his lines and casting of those lines with heavy and light weight flies. I started making these lines years ago and it has changed my style of FLY FISHING. I even take it into summer run fishing. Ed system is easy 3X the rod length not more than 3.5X rod length (belly size). The ease of casting will amaze you from trout spey rods too heavy spey rods. It just makes it easy to cast all day long, day after day.

Picking the right tool for the job. My money is on “Skagit Line System”

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]