I'm going to give up "Father's Famous Brine" recipe. Tried, true, and confirmed by just about everyone that it results in the best smoked salmon they've ever had. (He probably got it out of book and has been protecting it like it's a family secret for 30 some years now...) Anyway, here it is:

3 quarts Water
1 cup rock salt
2 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 tablespoon black pepper
6 bay leaves
1 1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
2 teaspoon ginger
2 large fresh cloves of garlic (minced or pressed)

Bring to a boil and let cool completely at room temperature. You are not only allowing the brine to cool but also allowing all flavors to disolve and leach into the brine. Place salmon in brine after it is cool for 6-10 hrs, depending on type and thickness of meat.

Remove salmon from brine, rinse completely and allow to air dry. This part is important believe it or not. When the meat air dries a shiny varnish will develop on it. This is the sugar from the brine crystalizing to seal the meat. Think of it like a glazed donut.

Place in the smoker changing the wood chips approximately 4 times during cooking. Cooking time will vary depending on smoker, temp, thickness of filet, etc. Usually it's 6-8 hrs. I change the chips every 1 1/2 hours stopping after 4 changes.

It all sounds a bit like Martha Stewart, but trust me this recipe is awesome.

-Jim