Dave said a wise fisherman wouldn't limit himself to only one bait or lure, so I guess as a flyfisherman, I'm unwise. It's interesting for me to read these experienced opinions. From my years of observation, I really didn't think it matters. It has long seemed to me that an undisturbed steelhead, under water conditions that are neither too high, too low, too warm, or too cold, will strike the first properly presented bait or lure it sees. Are steelhead really so finicky that some park themselves in a tailout, determined to eschew any and all egg presentations because they've got a hunger for jigs or pink worms that day?

When I hook a steelhead on a red fly, I assume it was because I was using a red fly at the time and not because they weren't taking pink or purple that day.

It seems like a change up is most productively served to a steelhead that is already disturbed, and therefore maybe not on the snap. That fish could be in the mode to ignore whatever passes by, . . . and then along comes the chrome doo-hickey with pink spots, and he just has to attack. It seems more intuitive that having a large assortment of bait and lures to choose from increases the odds of luring that otherwise reluctant fish.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.