Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Legal advice would be a good thing to get. Except for that recent law on domestic violence on rez I am pretty sure that Tribal regulations apply only to tribal members.

My non-attorney guess is that if a Tribal Officer has the authority through agreements to cite you for a violation of state law, the citation will go to state court.

If they don't have the authority, or may wish to make things "cleaner", they can call in a local PD/sheriff/WDFW and have them do the citing.

About now would be a good time for some lurking WDFW officer or other Peace Officer to weigh in with facts.

If they don't have jurisdiction I question their authority to hold you until local LE arrives. That was the crux of the Brinnon fiasco; the two tribal cops were well off their rez and took it upon themselves to take two hunters into custody at gunpoint along with a small child and keep the adults handcuffed for hours. Frankly, those tribal cops should have gone to jail on a multitude of charges but neither the County prosecutor nor the State to include WDFW (illegal to interrupt a legal hunt) had what it takes to protect its citizens.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)