Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165411 - 11/15/02 03:08 PM Early Nate?
Sinktip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
I have it on good authority that a chrome bright 5# hen steelhead was brought to hand this morning on the Snohomish system. She was reportedly carrying a full compliment of both sea lice and a fully formed adipose.

My question to the board. Is she an early winter nate, a late summer return or a hatchery fished that wasn't fin clipped (she had a perfect dorsal and nose)?

Curious as to what you all think.

sinktip

#165412 - 11/15/02 03:21 PM Re: Early Nate?
bank walker Offline
Spawner

My guess is that its an early winter fish. There have been a couple winters caught up at reiter, so there's definetly been a few pods of fresh fish move in since the last rains. I have caught several summer hens in the last few weeks and they are stil in pretty good shape, but nothing like a chrome winter. Fresh summer runs are long gone... Hopefully the little nate is a remnant of the early wild winter fish! These fish should be protected just as much as the feb/mar/apr fish.

Cant wait for winter steel laugh
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#165413 - 11/15/02 03:47 PM Re: Early Nate?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Without a doubt an early winter nate. Only rare by todays standards. A decade or two ago it would have been no big deal to catch a wild winter fish this early but because we have wiped out nearly all the early wild component winter steelhead in all of our rivers they have been forgoten. Some orginizations would like you to believe they never existed.

We still have a few left out on the OP rivers some systems have more than others. Some of these fish spawn as early as the first week of December from what I have seen. But according to the powers that be Wild winter steelhead dont start spawning Untill Feb.

It is my theory that the powers that be dont want to acknoledge these fish exist or existed. Reason being there stocks are either near extinction or in a very sad state and could have a drastic affect on the current management of our rivers meaning sport fishing oportunity and comercial harvest.

To put it simply these fish have been saccrificed.

#165414 - 11/15/02 10:59 PM Re: Early Nate?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Not as familiar with those streams as I am with ones a little closer to home, but I'd sure like to hope it was an early nate. I'm sure they had a certain portion of the run that came early just as the Forks-areas streams did ...

we still have a few left, every year we get a couple. In fact we had a nice teener hen yesterday that fit the same bill ... no clip, perfect fins. I'm too lazy tonight to go out and get my camera to post a pic (the dorsal doesn't look good in the pic angle, but I checked it closely) ... but I'll have one in the next day or so smile

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#165415 - 11/16/02 02:21 AM Re: Early Nate?
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Given the size, my guess is that it is hatchery heritage, spawned in the stream. The Sno has lots of fish that look just like the brats, but have obviously not grown up in a hatchery, having adiposes and clean dorsal fins. I have always thought that those are progeny of some of the hatchery returns which have spawned in the stream.

#165416 - 11/16/02 03:02 AM Re: Early Nate?
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
SH-
Do remember that there is a wide variety of genetic diversity among native steelhead which creates, in most cases, many different ages classes within a river system.

The fact that this was a small fish could have nothing to do with it having 'brat' genes but just being a one-salt fish.

Many river systems carry a decent population of 1-salt fish and I've heard stories about the Skagit being full of these buggers early in the season...many years ago ofcourse.

...hopefully, this fish was indeed 100% native as our early returning natives are few and far between anymore! frown mad These fish need as much protection as we can get them...too bad the WDFW has not realized this and made it mandatory C&R on wild steelhead in December and January.

beer

#165417 - 11/16/02 09:13 AM Re: Early Nate?
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I have gotten two out of a little stream on the canal.I have fished for them for a few years now.I drift eggs throught the silvers and chums and usually get cuttys but every now and then a surprise.These fish are smaller though a big one would be five pounds.As a matter fact I am headed there when i am done here.

#165418 - 11/16/02 12:27 PM Re: Early Nate?
Fishstik Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: S.W. Washinton
my wife put the first winter fish in the boat on 11/15...we where catching silvers and i never gave the fish a second look until i put it in the box, it was 12.4lbs of mint clipped fish(hen).. full skeins of eggs and all,, cought it on a flash n glo in frog water beathead go figure??( also it was caught in the upper river?)thats 3 weeks early for me

#165419 - 11/16/02 02:51 PM Re: Early Nate?
KingFisher85 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Amboy Wa
Its a early winter run.
Just my 2 cents
How to fix a gun-- Take it apart--Put it back together--Hide extra parts~~~

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bassmaster, jensen2592, PaulS, ROBYNS, SHARPSHOOTER
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1045 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63816 Topics
645852 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |