LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168786 - 12/14/02 02:47 PM What's your motivation?
Paranoid Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Snohomish
While driving from Olympia to Seattle at 6am. this morning on an inch of standing water, driving rain, gusty winds and near zero visibility I noticed several sleds and driftboats heading south (to the Cowlitz I presume). I know that the Cowlitz, Kalama and the Lewis are all hit and miss at this time and I do know how miserable it is to fish in these adverse conditions. What is the motivation? I know it is the weekend, but still, is it worth having to battle high winds and torrential rains? Do they know something I don't? Hummm...I wonder.

#168787 - 12/14/02 03:10 PM Re: What's your motivation?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
So what's worse......fishing in howling wind with the rain coming at you sideways, having only a marginal chance at hooking a fish....OR....staying home putting up lights, or even worse, Christmas shopping?

Where's my rod? laugh

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#168788 - 12/14/02 03:26 PM Re: What's your motivation?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I fished Cook Creek today. It got me out of shopping! Slow day, snagged two by accident, had two good bites. They are in there very thick.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#168789 - 12/14/02 03:43 PM Re: What's your motivation?
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
Maybe those guys you saw risking their lives to go fish the Cowlitz were married!!! That seems like pretty good motivation to me.

#168790 - 12/14/02 04:42 PM Re: What's your motivation?
Paranoid Offline
Returning Adult

Hadn't thought about it that way. Come to think of it ...I'm suddenly free tomorrow and with a big front due in on monday mabey I'll try Cook Creek, but only if the river comes up to a reasonable 10-12,000 cmf and it blows 30mph+. Thanks for the enlightenment. Happy Holidays to you all...

#168791 - 12/14/02 04:45 PM Re: What's your motivation?
mudslinger Offline
Smolt

Loc: GOLD BAR,WA
my wife wonders the same thing.all i know is with all the time and money spent once you feel the hit,set the hook and that big chromer starts ripping line from your reel fighting for all it's worth your heart starts pounding and you forget about everything else just the battle at hand.so i would have to say yes it is worth it cuz there isn't nothing else like it,i got the fever bad.chrome for everyone good luck. beer

#168792 - 12/14/02 06:29 PM Re: What's your motivation?
Ryan Ositis Offline
Smolt

Loc: Shoreline, WA
I do it to suppliment my meager food supply. That's why I keep spending money on rods, reels, waders, lures, and other supplies. smile

No, I'm just kidding. I actually do it because the voices in my head tell me to.

#168793 - 12/14/02 07:20 PM Re: What's your motivation?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Paranoid,

since you are talking about the Cowlitz here, I have to give a opinion!

You are so much like so many others that are still not hearing "the wind" on the Cowlitz!

The Cowlitz, as you once so rightfully knew it to be, will never (or at lease for the next 35 years of your life) be "the same" again.

Yes, because of the weather, and the dams are still below their "flood curves" does that mean that the Cowlitz is "the place to go?"

"Fishable waters" is a great term that very much needs to be defined on this board! Everybody is still "thinking"; whenever my other favorite secret river is out, I will be able to go fish the Cowlitz! Well if you want a boat ride that may be the truth!

Well, times are changing (no they have already changed) and most of you fishermen still don't even know it yet!

Just look at the current "counts" of the winter run steelhead that have arrived at the Barrier Dam so far this season!

The lower Cowlitz River already has "tons of new water" and where are all those new fish that many of you have told us were just waiting for the "rains" at?

Have I been wrong so far???? laugh laugh laugh laugh

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#168794 - 12/14/02 07:34 PM Re: What's your motivation?
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
Wind? What wind? Had a great morning out on the salt until about 1045. Then we got smacked with 40 knots of wind. Lucky I had my fish just as the gusts started and the launch was 1/4 mile away.

When I was a hardcore Steelie junky, it didn't matter what kind of weather as long as it wasn't windy- hard to cast a fly in that mess. It was just being out of the house that was good enough for me.

Downriggin'

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#168795 - 12/14/02 07:45 PM Re: What's your motivation?
fishbreath Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham,WA
Personally, I would not say Cook Creek is the best place to fish. I just got back from a two-day trip. Thought about canceling for weather reasons but as it turned out the creek was very fishable and the color good. For some reason I thought it was going to be a better fishery. What it is is a Blue Creek fishery without as much traffic but certain spots are elbow to elbow. In addition, I do not know where the heck “Dogfish” was fishing but there was not a whole bunch of fish to be found unless you were looking for ugly Coho and then there was plenty. Also, found it interesting that the Steelhead that were there were hiding along side the Coho. I even saw one large Steelhead that was doing a courtship dance with a Coho all day rubbing sides with it? In fact, this fish we hooked four times yesterday. Three times it took the bait and once we foul hooked him! Positive it was the same fish since it was pretty colored and had a wound on its belly.

#168796 - 12/14/02 08:21 PM Re: What's your motivation?
Paranoid Offline
Returning Adult

I do understand. When my home rivers are out I sometimes briefly consider the Cowlitz, but only under certain conditions. 1) Day of the week or holidays-for obvious reasons. 2) River level. 3) Current reports 4) Current weather forcast. The question is as follows: Do I spend an hour or so preparing my gear and boat, shell out $50+ on fuel, bait etc., drive for an hour+one way, endure a winter storm, expect nightmarish lines at the launch, risk altercations with some of the rudest fishers imaginable, and spend another couple of hours driving home and stowing my gear just for the possiblity (not probability on a day like today) of hooking into a 8lb hatchery brat or two. It is not worth it to me. I fish because it is therapeutic for me. I need to get away and unwind, enjoy the company of a buddy or two, and mabey catch a fish, sometimes two. I NEVER go just because "I'm off today". I think that when most prepare for such a trip they ready their gear, their boats, and prepare their "Cowlitz attitudes" (especially around Blue Creek) and are transformed into inconsiderate, rude people I don't wish to subject myself, my friends, or my family to. I know that there are a few exceptions and I thank both of you. It seems very sad to to me. With all things considered, again I ask you......What is your motivation? Is it simply "I must catch a fish?" Enlighten me please!

#168797 - 12/14/02 08:59 PM Re: What's your motivation?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
No motivation for me today ... trips since Thursday and thru Sunday right now are cancelled.

Could have snuck out and done a little fishing on my own today, sounded like a fair number did just that with pretty limited success. Frankly, the way it was blowing today, it just wasn't safe to out along these rivers lined with trees with 50+ mph winds blowing through. You'd think some of these fellas that have worked in the woods for years would know better, but I guess that's steelie fever for you.

No fish worth dying for, yet smile

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#168798 - 12/14/02 11:09 PM Re: What's your motivation?
dangerous dave Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Orchard, WA
It's a Fishin thing! If you have to ask, you probably won't understand anyway!!!!!
Fish all moriing in the Narrow Derby.....1 fish...
Was it worth it?
Oh Yeah! Fish-On! :p

#168799 - 12/14/02 11:17 PM Re: What's your motivation?
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
i do it for the headshake! laugh

TTT

#168800 - 12/14/02 11:38 PM Re: What's your motivation?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Fish Breath,

The guide we were with took us down below the hatchery, almost to the mouth, then we headed up to the hatchery. From the 50 yard section of the river I fished just below the hatchery I saw easily 100 fish, and another few hundred move up in the hour I was there. They were mostly dark. The guide called the day at 10:30 and didn't charge. I tried to give him money for gas, at least, but he said we would fish another day when the conditions were better. Lots of dark fish. 300+ fish swimming into my legs and around me within an hour seems like a few. We also saw the steelies mixed in with the coho.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
dardevle, Pautzke, Wader
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 888 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13417
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63819 Topics
646012 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |