THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 26 of 31 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 30 31 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#231855 - 02/25/04 05:50 AM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
SloMoFishDad Offline
Smolt

Loc: Everett, WA
Don't kill wild fish period !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#231856 - 02/27/04 01:16 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
More science! laugh

If this is true, why did the Commission put the 2 year band on WSR?

Science: Quote: "WDFW Biologist Dan Rawding (1998) found that encounter rates of wild winter steelhead in selective fisheries were similar to harvest rates that occurred when anglers were permitted to retain wild steelhead."

Dan is one, if not WDFW number one expert biologist who deals with Wild steelhead in Washington.

One more fact that shows that the Commission did not use all "available science" to make their decision!

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#231857 - 02/27/04 02:09 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
CFM,

Uh, oh...you missed that one...

Quote:
Science: Quote: "WDFW Biologist Dan Rawding (1998) found that encounter rates of wild winter steelhead in selective fisheries were similar to harvest rates that occurred when anglers were permitted to retain wild steelhead."
"Harvest Rate"= amount of fish killed

"Encounter Rate"=amount of fish encountered, i.e., caught.

Using the probably more accurate mortality rate for fish that are released, (3% to 5%), one of every 20 to 33 fish "encountered" are killed. Even using the quite conservative number that WDFW uses to calculate mortality, which is 10%, one of ten fish released is killed.

The mortality associated with the "harvest rate" is 100%, it's the amount of fish bonked.

If a fishery changes from wild fish retention to wild fish release, and the encounter rate doesn't change, then the amount of mortality on wild fish automatically is reduced by 90 to 97%.

Quote:
One more fact that shows that the Commission did not use all "available science" to make their decision!
I'd say reducing mortality by over 90% without reducing the total fish landed by sportfishermen is a pretty good decision from the science end.

I'm sure you assumed, or read it too fast, that "encounter rate" and "harvest rate" mean the same thing, therefore just as many fish were killed in a WSR fishery as in a harvest fishery. Wrong by a very large margin on that account.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#231858 - 02/27/04 08:50 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

There were more posts on this topic earlier today...are they gone now? Where'd they go?

#231859 - 02/27/04 09:30 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

#231861 - 02/28/04 12:04 AM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

#231862 - 02/28/04 05:35 AM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

#231863 - 02/28/04 11:19 AM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Todd

As you know I am a straight shooter. I do not play stupid childish games like a few professionals people tend to do. As you knew, I did post back my apology to you, and told you that I had erred in my reading of that issue, and that I was wrong. Real men accept others men apologies and move on.

But some people just love to look down on others when they error, in wallow in their own joy. That was what you were doing, and it reflects things about a person that are not very becoming to others. Many of times we disagree on issues, but I don't recall ever once playing with you as your were with me. I made my apology to you for making my mistake and I posted it on this boar. Even though the error was a small one, I admitted I was wrong and you just wanted to make sure that every person on this board had the opportunity to read that I had erred.

Are you happey now?

In a man's world, I was always taught to accept another mans apology and move on. Apparently you and I didn't have the same teacher.

I left my apology running on this board for over 4 hours, while you sat there in your own ego trip without replying back. That was more then enough time for you to reply to my apology. Real men are not afraid to do so!

I was wrong Todd, but who was the fool for playing such a stupid childish "game"?

I am done with this issue here, so if you want to make it personal, you have my email number.

Cowlitzfisherman

#231864 - 02/28/04 12:05 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley

#231866 - 02/28/04 12:53 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington

#231867 - 02/28/04 01:17 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Good try Aunty!

If you get off of your high horse and read what I had said, you just might not be looking so foolish laugh

I said
Quote:

Dan is one, if not WDFW number one expert biologist who deals with Wild steelhead in Washington.

One more fact that shows that the Commission did not use all "available science" to make their decision
That statement is a FACT!

Todd came back and posted what his interpretation of what that quote meant. If you had taken the TIME to read my post, I never disagreed with what Todd had said. In fact, I posted my reply back to his post and told him that I had apparently had miss read what that "quoted statement" had meant, and that he was right.

Maybe neither of you understands what a "quotation mark" means! I just showed you an exact statement that was made by WDFW, nothing more, and nothing less!

I then stated "One more fact that shows that the Commission did not use all "available science" to make their decision!"

It was my understanding when the Commission voted on this issue; they did not use this information to support their position. If I am wrong, can you show me in their minutes where this information was used to support their decision?

Quote:
Commissioner R.P. Van Gytenbeek of Seattle initiated the discussion about requiring the release of wild steelhead by calling for a permanent ban on wild steelhead retention. When that motion failed, the commission considered and rejected the idea of a six-year moratorium before scaling it back to two years.

"In this case, I think a half a loaf is better than no loaf at all," Van Gytenbeek said. "A lot of people in this state are concerned about the decline of our wild steelhead stocks and I think a moratorium gets us started down the right path."

Commission Chair Will Roehl of Bellingham did not share that view, noting that the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is currently working on a new comprehensive plan for steelhead management, tailored to specific stocks.

"I can't support banning retention of wild steelhead on rivers where stocks are healthy and returns are strong," Roehl said. "I don't think this broad-brush action is warranted, but that appears to be the will of commission."
If they show in their minutes that they did in fact consider this information, then I would be incorrect in making that statement.

Until proven otherwise, my statement stands to be correct.

Until then, live with it! laugh

Cowlitzfisherman

#231869 - 02/28/04 02:50 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#231870 - 02/28/04 03:46 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
My favorite cfm quote of all time:

"I must have misread it incorrectly."

#231871 - 02/28/04 05:11 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Like I said H2O, there is nothing to fear, but fear itself. Why else would you continue to mock?

Why are you so affaird to hear other people opinions?

Bob has set the rules; if you can't say someting good about someone, then don't say it!

So that all that I can say to you for now. laugh

You know where to find my email, if you want to make it more personal.

Cowlitzfisherman

#231873 - 02/28/04 05:30 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Jerry since you don't like tribe bashing why don't you get them to come to one of your meetings and sit down and convince them to stop netting wild steelhead.? If you honestly believe in saving wild steelhead do you think that releasing sport caught wild steelhead on the few rivers where it is still allowed will solve the problems as you see them? Do you honestly believe that you can put the blinders on when it comes to the tribes? Looks to me like you enjoy the personal bashing back and forth on this single issue topic.

How many times can one side say releasing wild steelhead is a good thing while the other side says it is unnecessary? 600? 700?

#231874 - 02/28/04 05:32 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Glad to see that you have appointed yourself the boards "MOTHER" now laugh

What was that old saying " Never send a woman to do a mans job" laugh laugh

#231875 - 02/28/04 05:39 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
Easy on the "lata's" folks! Some of you seem to have had one too many double talls.

I'm wondering here just what some of you might think about the city of Forks supposed intention to pursue leagal action against the Commissions decision. Do you think they have a legal gripe?

The cities attorney has been sending out letters that go something like what follows:

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
The City ( of Forks has received) comments regarding the passage of Commissioner Van Geytenbeek's proposed moratorium on retaining wild steelhead for two years. The Mayor asked that a quick response go out regarding those comments.

In reading through the various comments we have received on this, it appears that there will remain a level of disagreement on this issue that probably cannot be resolved between e-mails, nor via postings at various message boards maintained by fishing enthusiasts.

The City will continue to pursue the various options permitted to it by law regarding its position on this issue. We hope that the discussion of this issue can continue in such a way as to ensure that the interests of all are included and considered.

Again, thank you for your comments.

Rod

William R. Fleck
City Attorney/Planner
Forks, WA
rodf.forks@centurytel.net
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Any comments about the issue?

#231876 - 02/28/04 05:42 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
cfm-

[img]http://car-nutz.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=90[/img]

plunk-

They are pissing up a rope imo.

#231877 - 02/28/04 05:45 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Grandpa

I think we are supposed to be the ones who "set the example" Didn't you know that if we release all those fish, that the tribes will follow our example?

It's kind of like gun registration; we register ours guns but the bad guys don't! And look how that has solved the crime problem laugh

Where have you been all these years? laugh

Haven't you learned anything? (maybe you learned to much) laugh

We should all do the "right thing"!

Cowlitzfisherman

#231878 - 02/28/04 05:54 PM Re: Wild Steelhead Kill Outlawed in WA for 2 Yrs!
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

"The seven boats in the commercial test fishery on Sunday near Longview caught five chinook (three were hatchery-marked) and 20 steelhead. They will go into the water again on Sunday, and based upon that, the earliest the commercial season could start is March 2."

Hear that Jerry??? 20 steelhead in the nets!!!

Page 26 of 31 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 30 31 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
arroem, Bill G, eddie, MetalheadMatt
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 756 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13411
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63813 Topics
645816 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |