Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#241738 - 04/23/04 02:50 AM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
FlyH20 Offline
Smolt

steelhd101,
I want to appologize for your bad experience at the shop today. And hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future. come on in and ask for me.
Joe Gallagher

#241739 - 04/23/04 02:51 AM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
FlyH20 Offline
Smolt

steelhd101,
I want to appologize for your bad experience at the shop today. And hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future. come on in and ask for me.
Joe Gallagher

#241740 - 04/23/04 03:19 AM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
Blu13 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Hi All

In my opinion it is not just one place. I for one like dealing with Mike at Ted's but can't say I've been real impressed with all of the help he has working. I have witnessed rudeness etc. and a smile " hi how are you doing" goes a long way at any store.

My wife fishes and is well known for catching a TON of Salmon on some of the local rivers. I metioned the post to her tonight when we were driving to the hockey game. She reminded me of her experience last fall at a tackle shop in Burlington or Sedro Wooley (not Holiday). She went fishing on the Skagit and some of the guys she knows up that way had mentioned one of the local stores. She needed new waders and wanted some Humpie spoons etc. She went in, picked out the spoons and started looking at the Waders. None of the help said hi to her, can I help you etc. They did have time to bull**** and screw around in the front of the store, look at her sorting through the waders etc but didn't offer to help. She walked out, leaving the spoons and not spending any $$$. She was hoping it was a store she could frequent and feel comfortable in. She won't be back. She also went to get a 2nd punch card last fall (she filled the 1st one with kings). Different store, again she was not impressed with the help. Felt she was kind of ignored because she was a lady. With 15+ years of customer service for a great company, she knows what good customer service is and in both cases, she didn't get it.

So, I bought her Waders at GI Joe's for XMas along with a Lamiglas Certified Pro. I also bought myself some new boots. I upgraded after the guy working in Sporting Goods saw me looking and asked if I had looked at the Korkers (great boot & CUSTOMER SERVICE). After showing me the boot etc, I was sold. I spent $400 +. Yes, price was a factor. It was not the main factor. If I had loyalty to a Tackle Shop like I have to other businesses in my area, GI Joe's would not of gotten our $$.

I'm making these comments in hope that some owners will realize that customer service is an issue. The market is changing with the NET and companies like GI Joe's moving in. If they don't watch out, more and more people will go elsewhere and our choices will shrink.

In closing I want to give you all 1 example of what good customer service can do. A few years ago Home Depot moved into Bothell. I'm sure a lot of you have been there. McClendon's is less than a mile away. I was worried they would be driven out of business by Home Depot's marketing advantage. The opposite has happened. McClendon's is doing great and all of my neighbors go to McClendon's 1st (like a lot of other people I'm sure). Not because they are cheaper or are bigger. It's because of the great customer service/help. Try walking around the store looking at stuff for 5 minutes and see how many times a worker says "can I help you find anything". If the store my wife went to had done that, GI Joe's would not have gotten all of my $400.

Thanks for letting me vent!

#241741 - 04/23/04 09:03 AM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
Angg Offline
Juvenille at Sea

My first time fishing the Puyallup, I went into that tiny tackle shop on River Road. the owner had no interest in me , but the other guy walked me through the whole store (tiny) and told me what drift fishing was about. He even told me where to go and his buddies name to latch onto. He was cool!

I hate Renton Walmart with a passion. It is mayhem on any given night and there is even regular police action on a regular basis. It is nuts, and I only go there if I feel I can stand the stress. I had to get my license, was going fishing and needed to be legal (good thing as the game warden did check that day!) the man at the sports section took special care to run up my trout items as well as the license. I felt bad as there was someone behind me, but he joined into the fishing talk too.the clerk was a fisherman!!!! Go Walmart for hiring someone who knows something. He's a nice guy, so if you're needing anything in Renton, he will help. If it's that gal, then she'll just flirt with the employees and ignore you and you just need to speak up as she won't do her job unless asked.

#241742 - 04/23/04 09:29 AM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
Service everywhere sucks these days. Perhaps it has something to do with the attitude of the public? People are not polite on the buying side of the counter either. In fact, the public has gotten downright mean and rude. When I go to Costco once in awhile I feel like shooting people....If I had to work in any retail environment again I would shoot myself. So maybe a kind word from buyers would go a long ways too.

#241743 - 04/23/04 09:49 AM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

Loc: Duvall
Have to agree with KK and Grandpa. I have both a positive and negative story about Ted's.

Positive: I stopped by one day to pick up my usual $20 of Dick Nites and talked about steelhead leaders with an employee. He was very helpful and even tied a half dozen for me! He now works at Three Rivers and hopefully he's happier there.

Negative: I was leaving in a few hours for a trip to B.C. and I needed something from Ted's. I had my young son with me and it was just a minute or two before 9 am. The store was closed and Mike had just pulled into the parking lot. As he unlocked the door to go in, we got out of our car and started for the door. He frowned at me and said, "we don't open until 9!" So, we waited one minute then walked in. Why couldn't he say, "good morning, I'll be right with you" or something that would make the consumer happy to shop there?

I have been in sales for 24 years and I wouldn't have one client if I acted that way.

#241744 - 04/23/04 09:49 AM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
JK Offline
Spawner

Loc: KIrkland, Wa, USA
Ted is sorta hot and cold....sometimes they are cool...other times they can be out right ignorant...especially the owner...the worst ive run into was the guy in forks...i think its olympic sporting good...i went in there and spent some money and asked him 2 questions about the area and on the second question he told me he "should charge me a guide fee"...I almost wacked the social mutant. Just an out right ignorant hick that should kiss my butt for spending money in his crappy little store.

#241745 - 04/23/04 09:51 AM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I don’t make it up to Ted’s that often but the times I have been up there, I was impressed with their inventory. I don’t know the people who work there but they were helpful and polite. A lot of people I know that do shop at Ted’s love it. I have never heard any one say anything negative about the place.

I understand customer service is important but at the same time people can have bad days. It seems that some of the employees are already apologizing to you for your experience in Ted’s. I would give them another chance and see what happens.

Sometimes people can be jerks (not referring to you Steelhead 101) and think they can do or say anything just because they are the customer. The customers not always right.

I do enjoy shopping on the internet, but after seeing my favorite shop go, it’s hard to find another one that can replace it.
I believe in keeping the money local more then ever, especially when having to deal with service, I don’t want to talk to some one on the phone from India who has no idea on the product I have other then the forum they are reading off.

#241747 - 04/23/04 12:02 PM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
This is a general statement and not aimed at Ted's:

IMO, when you are running a business, you have to decide what things/services you will and will not do. Once those decisions have been made, you do ALL the things you previously decided you would do with a smile on your face -- NEVER begrudgeingly.

For example, O/E openly admits that selling licenses is more trouble than it is worth - so they don't do it.

#241748 - 04/23/04 12:56 PM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
I like Ted's and still shop there, and I have one comment for ya'll work there who are reading this.

I think I can tap into what people are trying to say here.

One day one might come and buy $3.00 worth of swivels and a single pack of hooks. The next week or month one may come in and buy a $75- $100 rod. The next time one visits they might buy a $300.00 rod and alot of gear to go with it. I think some people are saying they don't feel like they get treated the same from your staff each time they visit, there is no consistency in service quality. Or maybe the quality of service is Dependant on what the customer is looking at buying?
We all know you guys know a ton about fishing, fishing gear, etc. The collective knowledge of the Ted's employees is immense. Your customer base looks up to you guys for the latest and greatest info about the products you carry.
I think some of what people are complaining about here is that they feel like you guys can, without knowing it, make some customers feel like they are stupid or inferior, and not worth your time to help if they are buying an inferior product, or some small change items.

Treat a customer the same if they are buying something that isn't "the best rod" or "the best reel" for that specific application.

I am not personally complaining about the services I have received, but I'm basing these comments from some accounts of a family member I referred there (my mother) and a couple buddies.

#241749 - 04/23/04 01:38 PM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
Nice post Jojo way to have the right additude that will get people coming back to the store. W hope you don't work there because that's not the right additude. Perseption has a huge impact on what people think. The smile and a hi goes along ways to make people feel comfortable and want to buy from you.

Tight lines

Kevin

#241750 - 04/23/04 01:39 PM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
Nice post Jojo way to have the right additude that will get people coming back to the store. W hope you don't work there because that's not the right additude. Perseption has a huge impact on what people think. The smile and a hi goes along ways to make people feel comfortable and want to buy from you.

Tight lines

Kevin

#241751 - 04/23/04 03:06 PM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
And they didn't even offer a hug!
Go to Jerry's, then you'll know what lousy service is.
The staff at Ted's have been ok by my standards. I don't need a clerk to hold my hand when I shop. They've even helped me out when I show up right before they close.

#241752 - 04/23/04 05:49 PM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Years ago I went to a little store out in Duval, Doing some fishing and needed some yarn and hooks for leaders. Five bucks,maybe. Well I get up to the counter and the guy say's "Great now I can retire" So i said, "your right,hold on." took my five bucks back and walked out the door. Now that little place is no longer there.
My Point, I have 4 boats now, countless rods,reels, tackle boxes, yadda,yadda,yadda, Had i gotten good service I would have driven out of my way to go there.
Have run into countless "Richard Heads" out there and have no problem telling them that I will not be back, There are far too many places that will take my money and treat me right. Cabelas for one................

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#241753 - 04/23/04 08:47 PM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
acute angler Offline
Parr

Loc: Everett
Wow, a chance to vent about the premadonnas at Ted's sport center. I've been going there for a long time and Mike is always very informed and very helpful to not only me but also my wife when she is christmas or birthday shopping for me. But there are a couple of arrogant asses that work there that really piss me off. I've been sts fishing since I was in the single digits and these guys want to talk to you like I'm an idiot! They have also been rude to my wife. She knows now that if Mike is not there, walk out. One big guy with short dark hair is the biggest ass of them all! There! I said my peace! Damn, I feel better.

#241754 - 04/23/04 10:11 PM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
lugnutt06 Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia
I have had good customer service from the gentleman that runs Fish Country on Hwy 12 heading toward the Cowlitz. He took the time to help me when I was first learning to fish. I made it a point to always stop and buy something from his business. I got taken for a ride by the rudest fishing guide on the Olympic Pen a few years ago before I learned the real deal (sure, river's in, fishing are running). It was amazing anyone was that rude and disrespectful--- I understand there are days when you get skunked, but being the biggest a hole doesn't help a bad day.

#241755 - 04/23/04 10:57 PM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
I say talk to the owner first, give him a chance to fix it , that is only fair before venting on others. Everyone can have a bad day or make a mistake. I judge them on what they do once it has been brought to their attention. My experience; most stores go out of their way to make it right, especially in a business as a competitive as the tackle business.

#241756 - 04/24/04 09:54 AM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
I am surprised to read this about Ted's. I go into to Ted's at least once a month and cannot say enough good things about Mike and the crew. They have always been the exact opposite. I own and run my own business and know how important customer service is. I know quite a few tackle stores that refuse to carry licenses because they only make $1 per license. They have to have a person doing nothing but selling licenses when it is busy. This takes away from them being able to sell what brings them their income. They make absolutely nothing on these considering the time and effort it takes. It is just a favor they are doing for their customers. If you want to know anything just ask any one of them. They will be more than glad to help you out any way they can. They have a great inventory and can tell you how to use any kind of tackle. I am sorry that your experience wasn't what you liked, but I am sure given another chance you will really like them. They are a very friendly group. Ask them what works and what doesn't. I buy prizes from them for our PSA raffles and they give us a discount and sometimes donate prizes also. I remember one time getting really mad at Jerry's at an employee and did not go back for two years. I thought he was Jerry. Found out later, Jerry was no longer alive and Fabian was the owner. I talked to Fabian at the Sportsman show and found out maybe they weren't such bad guys and started going there again. Maybe it was partly my fault or the guy was maybe having a bad day. We all do. I know in business it happens. I cannot say enough good things about Ted's. In fact I have a hard time getting out of there after starting talking to them. Ask them a question and I bet you will be surprised. They really are a great bunch of guys with a great tackle selection. It is more like the TV Show "Cheers" where it is always the same guys behind the counter. It is a really neat local tackle shop. Mike must know how to treat the guys as they are still there. It’s better than the outdoor type warehouse stores where the kids that are hired weekly can't answer a single fishing question, excluding Outdoor Emporium. Just like Outdoor Emporium, Teds has a staff of sportsfishers that KNOW how to use the gear. Give them another shot, you will be surprised. I do not have one negative word to say about them. In fact, they let me put up our monthly PSA speaker poster on the front door of their store never asking anything in return. Even though I am not buying anything when I go in there, they are still very courteous and talkative. Just my $.02 worth. I feel I need to defend them as they are A number one in my book.
Sincerely
Ron Garner
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

#241757 - 04/24/04 04:41 PM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
Like any store, they can be hot and cold. I've only been into Ted's once or twice. A little out of my way. LOL. Have stopped when visiting friends up north.

I'd actually wouldn't call Sportco "sportco" anymore. The original store and owner have long since sold out. I've been going to Sportco since day one many years ago when they were a small store in a rollup garage. Was fishing/hunting only then, and service was top notch. They are now more of a wholesale store. And the service there is typicle, if not better, then most wholesale stores. I've never had a problem with service, and am always pleased going in there. Problem is, too much store and not enough to cover it at times. Plus they're always expanding, so store reshuffles once you've thought the "dust had settled". There is alot of good service. Sometimes though, you get the service you "imply" you need. When I say that, sometimes those who seem "pissy" or "disinterested" in hearing what you have to say are the ones a salesman will try to avoid. You may not "think" you're acting this way, but it may be the way you're "perceived". But, also you have those who aren't people orientated. Those are the ones who SHOULD NOT be working with the public. Like my job, I know lots of guys who do it just for the $$$. But their customers hate them, and their routes show this (by volume of packages delivered vs. picked up). On the other hand, I can do their route for a month or two, and build it back up quickly.

I for one can't comment on Ted's. But too many variables could've taken place. Plus, hard to get good help as well (not saying that it was bad at Ted's). Guess it really has to be a "been there and seen it" to really judge. What may be "bad service" to you, may be "great service" to someone else. But like I said, didn't actually see/hear what happened first hand, so hard to judge.

Northwest River Fisherman

#241758 - 04/24/04 06:09 PM Re: Teds?? Only in a pinch
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
My $.02 on the subject....

Last night I was called at 7PM at home from a customer. They started yelling and hollaring at me, telling me how I screwed up and forgot part of their order. After they finished, I calmly reminded them that we had gone over this already, and how part of their order wouldn't be in for another week. They quickly apologized.

Moving along, they asked if they could add more to their order, and if possible, get it LAST NIGHT. I live in Enumclaw, the warehouse is in Auburn, and the customer is in Redmond (guess who). Typically, orders aren't delivered for around a week after they are placed. I told them I'd call them from the warehouse to see what we had in 30 minutes.

Well, we had plenty of what they needed (for the most part), and it turned out to be about $1200 more to add to the order.... which really isn't to much in the industry. When I got there at about 11PM, they handed me a case of beer as a token of their appreciation.

After I had helped them take the product up to their lab, they told me that because of this incident, they planned to use us for the next 149 labs they needed to supply.... Which is quite an order, and will definitely keep us busy.

What I mean by all this, was I had to leave my house at 7PM for work and spend the next 5 hours dealing with all this... I didn't get home until MIDNIGHT! This is a 8-5 job, weekdays only.

The guys at this store couldn't even SMILE or say "HAVE A NICE DAY" to their customer?? Their ENTIRE job is RIGHT THERE at the store. It opens and closes at a set time. What do they have to whine about? A buck or two lost on a license? If nothing else, keep the guy happy so he doesn't get on the internet and start raging about how lousy you are!

Respect isn't deserved, it is EARNED.

Curtis

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bassmaster, jensen2592, PaulS, ROBYNS, SHARPSHOOTER
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1045 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63816 Topics
645852 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |