Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#325056 - 12/21/05 11:12 PM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
fishinJedi Offline
Parr

Loc: In the rain, sleet & snow
Never had the joy of enticing a strike with a pink worm...I will keep tryin tho'...can't wait!

steeliefreak-Can I sit on Ms Santa's lap for a picture?

#325057 - 12/22/05 12:06 AM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
ondarvr, thats amazing, do you think the steelies consider the PW a threat/pest like they do a plug and not a food source?? If so, that whould explain the killing strike they make on them. I for one vote tbone's cartoon tits a non-threat so they can stay!.....C/22

#325058 - 12/22/05 12:40 AM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
run_a_bait Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle
i've caught more fish then i can remember on pink worms and never had the hook anywhere but the corner of the mouth. and i run 2 #4's one in the front and one in the middle.

#325059 - 12/22/05 01:39 AM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
Iron Head Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: tacoma, Washington, US
Don't worry about it, it's always on the mouth; the best flossing technique unknown to most fisherman.

Hey guys, this is a joke OK so don't be slamming me. I've never hit a fish with a rubber worm yet. Then again I don't use it religiously.

#325060 - 12/22/05 08:29 AM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Pink worms are a very cool technique, the only thing I hate is threading a dozen or two of them for a trip.

I tried fishing them behind a Hot N Tot diver like you guys described. I can't keep the worm off the bottom while doing that. I tried using a Tadpolly for a diver, the action on the worm was great, no takers however and the worm still drug bottom.

Six inch pink worm cut down to about 4 incher with a 1/0 hook.

Anyone else find they don't float all that great behind a diver?

#325061 - 12/22/05 10:14 AM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kona, Hawaii
You guys need to stop buying bubblegum gummi worms from the Roland Martin section of your favorite tackle store.

Grab yourself an 8 or 9 wt flyrod with a sinktip line, and tie one of these little suckas on...let it sink and swing it slowly across your drift...it is one of the deadliest pink worms known to man \:D they will not just nip at it!

[img]http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=3707&stc=1&d=1135017063[/img]

created and tied by the awesome KerryS...........here's to ya bud

#325062 - 12/22/05 10:32 AM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
havnfun Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacomca,wa,pierce
what tips do u guys use to help keep the PW from slipping down the line after awhile of fishing? would a drop of super glue help hold it in place?

#325063 - 12/22/05 10:34 AM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
as far as slipping down the line, you just have to deal with it. One of the frustrating parts about the worm

#325064 - 12/22/05 10:39 AM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
chrome/22 Offline

DaveD, pretty sure you can find some floating PW's.... other than that could put a drift bobber at the top of ol PW. That should give it some lift off the bottom??

#325065 - 12/22/05 11:16 AM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Quote:
Originally posted by ondarvr:
I use an underwater video camera frequently when fishing in fresh and saltwater, just like Charlie White said years ago, you would be amazed at how many fish take your hook in their mouths and you never know it.
What???? You have VIDEO and you're holding out on us?????

Come on! I gotta see it! Ok, your big fish was bad enough, but now you've got video footage of fish picking up baits? NOW I'm jealous! ;\)

#325066 - 12/22/05 11:22 AM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
chrome,

I think what dave is referring to is how the worm "scrunches up" as it invariably slides down the leader on itself. I've found that adding a drift bobber only tends to accelerate this tendency. Parkers use of a bullet nose corky is the best solution but I haven't found anything that eliminates it. I've also tried different different hook and leader set ups to avoid this but gave up and stopped worring about it. In some cases, it didn't seem to matter much anyway. I've seen some canadians that have an interesting way of rigging them. Here the leader was threaded the opposite way from the head of the worm, up and out 3/4 length of the worm with the tail dangling loose and the hook at the head. This way even as the worm slid down towards the hook, the tail continued to provide some action. They seemed to do pretty well too. However, I've found that this scrunching, while not enough to make much of a difference when drift or float fishing, is a major pain when fishing them behind a diver. Once that worm balls up and loses it's action behind the diver the fish don't seem interested anymore. I had high hopes for the technique but gave up. Just too much hassle.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#325067 - 12/22/05 11:38 AM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
Quote:
I think what dave is referring to is how the worm "scrunches up" as it invariably slides down the leader on itself.
Worm waddage is the appropriote terminology. ;\)

#325068 - 12/22/05 11:39 AM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
I never thread them on, I use 2 #4 hooks, one hooked in the very tip of the worm and the other one near the tail. I adjust them so it doesn't spin, this way there is no sliding down, retying or threading when the worm gets torn, just hook on another one. If it's a long worm, you can run the rear hook in and back out in the middle of worm to keep the line near the body. I don't normally use a corkie or winged cheater above it, it just depends on conditions though.
In the mid sixties I used store bought prerigged worms, black and brown were the only colors I could find then. They had a spinner (prop type) on the front and three hooks in the body. The rear hook was never far enough back to hook the short strikers, so I always rigged it with one more hook in the very end, I caught most of my fish on the rear hook. I was a kid and the experts at the time told me they didn't work on steelhead and were new for bass fishing and thats the only thing they were for, so I stopped using them.

#325069 - 12/22/05 12:05 PM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
chrome/22 Offline

ondarvr, whould your 2 hook set-up work (as in keeping the PW straight) off a diver?? Or..Mooch, I just had a brainstorm...how about super glueing parkers bullet head bobber to the tip of the PW and then pinning the bobber in place on the line with the old toothpick-jam??....

#325070 - 12/22/05 12:51 PM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
Yes, it works off the diver too, you can tune it to spin or not spin.

#325071 - 12/22/05 01:26 PM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
chrome,

I've used the 2 hook set up too. I've have no doubt that your suggestion would work fine also. But it's all still more hassle than it's worth for me these days, But don't let me discourage you from pursuing your PW dreams. I guess I'm just heading more toward the K.I.S.S. method these days.

Hey, I wonder if these things would work off a plunking rig? Hmmmm.

\:D
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#325072 - 12/22/05 01:31 PM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave D:
I can't keep the worm off the bottom while doing that. I tried using a Tadpolly for a diver, the action on the worm was great, no takers however and the worm still drug bottom.
Dave,

I have used pink worms a number of times for plugging, and use a smaller spin-n-glo or a pearl pink corky above a bead. Keeps the worm working near straight behind the diver.

As for the worm spinning, I also use a quality swivel mid-way down the leader between the diver-plug and worm. I don't want to restrict the action of that worm in the current...but want it floating and wiggling around just like a natural worm would. The small corky gives enough bouyancy to keep it off the bottom and let it work.

I also make sure that I work them slower than a plug..really getting some "hang time" as it works through the slot, or down the bar.

My 2 cents worth...

Mike

#325073 - 12/22/05 04:29 PM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
chrome/22 Offline

Mike almost got 2 clear Brads Divers @ sportco this AM to run the PW's with ya. But figured the Plug Master whould all ready have them in his bag o gear.......C/22

#325074 - 12/22/05 11:33 PM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
Curt45lc Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everson, WA
Today I caught a 8lb chrome hatchery hen on a bobber and light pink, 4 in zipper pink worm. I used a size 1 gama hanging out the tail of the worm, place it right in her tounge, YEE HA!

Curtis

#325075 - 12/22/05 11:41 PM Re: Ethics of the Pink worm
chrome/22 Offline

Well, get that old buck off your avitar and lets see the pretty hen!!...C/22

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bassmaster, jensen2592, PaulS, ROBYNS, SHARPSHOOTER
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Salmo g., DrifterWA), 751 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63816 Topics
645850 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |