LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#332056 - 02/08/07 11:01 AM Driftboat down-----Wynoochee (Wednesday--2/07)
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Here's what I know, 2nd hand from another driftboat what help the guy "re-float" his boat.

1. Happened between "cross-over bridge and Black Creek"

2. Just about the "swinging bridge".

3. Older wooden boat, think "Eastside"

4. Dragging anchor and "hit tree in river"

5. down in went!!!!!

Other boat was around the corner, and didn't see it happen but gear came floating down....so knew "something".....went back and helped the guy re-float boat. He was OK but scared!!!

I waited until this morning to post, to see if that other driftboat would say something...........

Heads up.........even at these low flows.......

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#332059 - 02/08/07 11:06 AM Re: Driftboat down-----Wynoochee (Wednesday--2/07) [Re: DrifterWA]
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Why would anyone be "dragging anchor" anyway ???

#332061 - 02/08/07 11:19 AM Re: Driftboat down-----Wynoochee (Wednesday--2/07) [Re: B-RUN STEELY]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Why use your oars to slow your boat down when you can drop and drag your anchor across the salmon/steelhead redds.

I see that shiat all the time.

#332086 - 02/08/07 12:22 PM Re: Driftboat down-----Wynoochee (Wednesday--2/07) [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

If he went down while dragging anchor, I gotta' wonder what kind of water this operator thinks is suitable for that practice. I'm not gonna' judge anchor dragging, as the places I've observed it aren't where the redds are. However, if dragging was the cause, it looks like serious operator error. I hope he learned enough to avoid any repeat.

Too bad about the 'tooner. He might instead consider the value of education in boatmanship and then give it another try.

Maybe folks are confusing having the ability to buy a boat with the ability to pilot it.

#332102 - 02/08/07 12:52 PM Re: Driftboat down-----Wynoochee (Wednesday--2/07) [Re: Salmo g.]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
"Maybe folks are confusing having the ability to buy a boat with the ability to pilot it."

One of the more sage quotes I've seen lately.

Bummer on all the boats going down lately...

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#332376 - 02/09/07 01:14 PM Re: Driftboat down-----Wynoochee (Wednesday--2/07) [Re: Todd]
DriftWood Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma, Wa, USA
Todd has it right. It's a pretty common site these days to see a brand new drift boat and operator getting into sketchy situations.

#332387 - 02/09/07 01:56 PM Re: Driftboat down-----Wynoochee (Wednesday--2/07) [Re: DriftWood]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
How many times have you seen on a forum or heard a newbie saying "I am going to the Wynoochie for my first drift" or someone from one of the forums suggesting that "the Wynoochie is an easy one." I think the Wynoochie is not the easiest river i have rowed, maybe the lower Skagit, the Cowlitz or even the Kalama. Sure some drifts or rivers are easier than others but any moving water deserves respect.
Maybe there is a business opportunity for rowing lessons or maybe there should be a sponsorship program for first-time rowers.
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#332409 - 02/09/07 03:35 PM Re: Driftboat down-----Wynoochee (Wednesday--2/07) [Re: JTD]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
I learned how to row on the Queets when I was a kid. I also learned better safe than sorry. More than once we got out and walked the boat through some places until we got to know them.

#332570 - 02/10/07 12:50 PM Re: Driftboat down-----Wynoochee (Wednesday--2/07) [Re: fish4brains]
Oncorhynchan Offline
Smolt

Loc: Spokane, WA
"A man's got to know his limitations." -Clint Eastwood in "Unforgiven". Or, perhaps better said, a guy's got to learn his limitations. You can pay lip service to "respecting moving water" and all of that, but you won't truly learn the lesson until you have an unpleasant experience. Since my unpleasant experience on the Sol Duc I haven't had any problems. Of course you should take the drifter out on a lake and practice. Of course you should start off with someone in your boat who knows what the heck they are doing. But, not until you are alone on the sticks and scared s**tless will you truly learn the lesson. Seems to me that if you can's slow the boat enough with the sticks and need to drag anchor, you may not have the boat in the best position to catch fish.

#332572 - 02/10/07 12:55 PM Re: Driftboat down-----Wynoochee (Wednesday--2/07) [Re: Oncorhynchan]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
My buddy's anchor rope on his db slips through the cleat sometimes and lets the anchor hang down.

I told him to fix the mofo or I wasn't riding with him any more.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#332574 - 02/10/07 01:31 PM Re: Driftboat down-----Wynoochee (Wednesday--2/07) [Re: Dan S.]
BenWA Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn
I’m new to the DB captain seat this last year and have spent a lot of my learning time on the nooche'.. To tell someone that this is an easy river to go learn on is a stupid statement or suggestion. I've been fishing rivers my whole life, I know how to read water and respect the power of moving water...I know many rivers of this state. There are far better places to learn on... the blue creek to mission on the Cow as an example. I've floated the nooche' (7400) with others and myself many many times.. I would never suggest for a second that someone that has not rowed many times just go head out and give her a try... a person could easily get killed by trying it, as it sounds several have almost done this year.. There are a couple spots in that river you better be in the right position or you going to get a lesson first hand.. Scared Sh_tl_ss, wet, or worse.. Hopefully just scared and lesson learned as I have done. Bottom line respect a rivers power, know your limitations, and be a dork wear a PFD.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
El Capitan O, Gobbler Git'r, modaddy, R.G., Wernergonefishin
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Excitable Bob), 644 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13417
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63819 Topics
646011 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |