THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#397032 - 12/16/07 04:40 PM chehalis mud (resurrected)
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Keep it on topic, boys....

In case anyone is still wondering about the source of the silt, this be it... scarred timberlands bleeding BAD in to the south fork of the Chehalis.

Edited by fishNphysician (12/16/07 04:42 PM)

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#397034 - 12/16/07 04:45 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

For more pics,

click here

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#397042 - 12/16/07 04:56 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: eyeFISH]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
We will be dealing with that mess for a while.

#397049 - 12/16/07 05:21 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Dave D]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Fishing in the Harbor is gonna be pretty sketchy in a few years...

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#397050 - 12/16/07 05:23 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Dave D]
Rapid Robert Offline
Spawner

Loc: Selah Wa.
This is the color larryb was talking about.

#397052 - 12/16/07 05:28 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Dave D]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Saw this photo and article in the Seattle Times today. Says Weyerhauser hired a geologist to survey the unit before cutting and gave it his thumbs up......this on a slope of 50+ degrees in places with fine soils. I'd hate to see what it would take for him to give a thumbs down.

Of course, the state OK'ed it based on the geologist's report \:\(

Ya know......we can't avoid logging. Tree products encompass every aspect of our lives but there's got to be a better way or some middle ground on cutting slopes of this magnitude. Problem is most of our forestland is sloped albeit not always this steep.

This really sucks for the Chehalis Basin (and the people of the upper valley who live there). I believe the waterway in your photo is Stillman Cr, a trib of the S. fork Chehalis(according to the Times article). Without a doubt this is a major player in the lower Chehalis still being horribly off-color. Maybe an inch of vis.

I think it will be a long, slow, painful recovery. That hillside could bleed sediments for years.

#397067 - 12/16/07 06:37 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Eric]
JR32 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: shelton wa
Maybe this will help logging practices change in our region. It is possible to harvest timber without de-noding large tracts of land.

#397069 - 12/16/07 06:58 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: JR32]
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Yes but it is more expensive hence the reason they just clear cut.

#397072 - 12/16/07 07:10 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Dave D]
Jason Y Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Poulsbo
Did you read the quote at the end of the article,

Angry Weyerhaeuser employee. Rod Rector whose home was flooded attacked state rules that require standing trees to be left alongside streams and some logs left in them. The slides and floods then carried some of the wood downstream.

http://www.madrivermanufacturing.com/swstore1.htm

Jigs, injection molded worms made in the USA

#397105 - 12/16/07 08:40 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Jason Y]
Tillanook Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oregon
The unit in the first picture was logged using a yarder, and due to the lack of lift to get the trees off of the ground when hauling them in the area where that biggest slide started took a hell of a beating. It probally had a lot to do the slide starting. Looks like Weyerhouser took a hell of a beating from this storm. Their tree farm on the north Oregon coast has huge losses as you've seen from other pics. Maybe they'll make some changes. Maybe the state of WA should sue for poor logging practices. Larger buffers along the creeks and rivers could have decreased the amount damage caused from the slides. imo.

#397114 - 12/16/07 09:01 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: eyeFISH]
Fish-Culture Offline
Returning Adult

The "Forest and Fish Plan"..... Yep, its working.

For the "tree growing company". Now pan to the feel good TV commercial with the fake biologists and clipboards.

What a crying shame.

#397116 - 12/16/07 09:13 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Fish-Culture]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
By the looks of the stream upriver from that big slide, they did a great job examing other sites upstream as well \:\(

From the picture above, What's wrong with logging only the top 2/3's of that site and leaving a whole 1/3 at the bottom to help mitigate and diffuse slides of that magnitude?

My hope is that incidents like this will act as a catalyst towards the changing of logging practices. Larger buffers zones and independent Geologist studies on these sites need to occur.

#397129 - 12/16/07 09:44 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Sky-Guy]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
OMG I cant believe it!!!!

What part of this subject has been hashed over do you not understand??????

#397168 - 12/17/07 12:11 AM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Timber]
TC1 Offline
Alevin

Loc: Puyallup, WA
I can't wait to see this end up in court. The geologist should be held responsible. I wouldn't be suprised if that slope would have failed under lesser conditions. To bad he will likely get to argue that this was an event outside the design criteria outlined by the City of Chehalis or Lewis County. The State may have a different view of this being the discharge is a major waterway. This will likely set precedence in this area for a long time.

What a mess.

#397171 - 12/17/07 12:30 AM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: TC1]
Pugnacious Offline
Spawner

Loc: It's funny to me!
Just like everything man has managed to screw up, we are going to be dealing with the after effects of this one for a long time. This is going to destroy runs that have been in the river sytems surrounding the Chehalis and the Chehalis itself for years and years to come. Too bad people can't see this and realize that we need to make a dramatic change in the way we do business. Or we are going to get a serious slap in the face from mother nature herself. Those are some pretty disheartening pics.

Edited by Pug (12/17/07 12:31 AM)

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

Boise State- National title, here we come!

#397172 - 12/17/07 12:31 AM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: TC1]
fuzzygrub Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: the pacific northwet
i'd guess the fact that it effected the chehalis would make it federal/navigable water thing but that is a nonissue as the fed has their own way of dealing with minor to them or their contributers problems that effect us common folk
the red color of that decaying basaltic flow from about 40 million years ago is a bit of a strange site though with so much of this part of the state being alluvial type deposits

#397177 - 12/17/07 01:03 AM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Tillanook]
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
Wow,
That is terrible, I am a former logger and there are other ways to keep harvesting without ruining streams, fish and wildlife habitat and of course without ruining peoples lives. I wish I still had a self loader, I would be up there hauling loads away everyday for cash baby !!!!
Hopefully they will get in there and replant with some native grasses and weeds to hold the soil until the new trees they will plant can hold the ground, but until then look for everytime it rains the chehalis to blowout real easy, this just sucks along with all the reds that most likely got silted in and suffocated, big changes I am sure to our harbor regs.

Peace
Fly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#397185 - 12/17/07 01:47 AM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: superfly]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

I guess there won't be many allocation battles going on for the Chehalis Basin, Joe... there won't be any fish to argue over. Can you say Tier ZERO?

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#397196 - 12/17/07 07:58 AM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: eyeFISH]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
For one that clearcut is bigger then it should have been and to close to water..
Look to the top left of the picture..See the slides where timber is present..
With the weather we had that froze the ground and dumped snow then the temps jumped 20 degrees thawed everything and the ground that storm set us up for some desasters with clearcuts or not...

#397215 - 12/17/07 11:16 AM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Timber]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Not to minimize the severity of those slides, but it's probably fortunate that they're on a South Fork trib and not the mainstem Chehalis. There's not a lot of mainstem spawning downstream of the South Fork at least until Oakville. The river gradient is too flat, and a lot of sediment will settle out there - contributing to future flooding problems. The preponderance of Chehalis mainstem spawning is in the main fork upstream of Rainbow Falls and even Pe Ell. Of course, if Stillman Creek was a decent coho spawning and rearing trib, it ain't no more.

If that slope was going to be harvested, it should have been selective cut with no dragging allowed for yarding. But those kind of restrictions likely would have made it unprofitable to cut at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bassmaster, jensen2592, PaulS, ROBYNS, SHARPSHOOTER
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (DrifterWA, Excitable Bob, steely slammer), 759 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63817 Topics
645861 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |