LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#412588 - 02/08/08 11:10 PM Have you ever?
bobber&jig Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: KITSAP COUNTY
Have you ever caught the same fish twice? I watched early to rise do it on the satsop last year, a wild winter run hen, twice in about 1 hour. It had the same banged up dorsal!!!

#412592 - 02/08/08 11:16 PM Re: Have you ever? [Re: bobber&jig]
Knucklebustersonly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: WA
Yes..

#412594 - 02/08/08 11:24 PM Re: Have you ever? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I caught the same 12# summer run twice...in two casts... broke off the leader to release it the first time, and it bit again...I have a pic somewhere of the damn thing with two globs of eggs in its mouth, one on each side.

I've done it several other times with steelhead and salmon, but that was the only time on back to back casts!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#412595 - 02/08/08 11:26 PM Re: Have you ever? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: edmonds
Many times, fly fishing at lake lenice in e.wa....we used a hole punch to notch half moons in the tails and it was surprising how many times you could catch the same 15-21" inch rainbow in the same day or thru out a season....

#412600 - 02/08/08 11:32 PM Re: Have you ever? [Re: RognSue]
laterun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Napavine,Washington
Saw my partner do it with a summerun on the Cowlitz by Vader. He set the hook and had the fish on for 30-40 seconds. Pulled his line in and the leader was gone. Next cast,fish-on. Landed it with two leaders in it's mouth. He had missed the loop when he tied on the first time. Boy was he pissed when I let it go. He has passed on now but I still chuckle at some of the stuff we pulled on each other.A good fishing partner is just about the hardest type of friend to find.

#412601 - 02/08/08 11:32 PM Re: Have you ever? [Re: RognSue]
Mystical Legends Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines NOT Seattle
Yep, both Salmon and Steelhead. I did the same as Todd with a Coho. Caught it the 1st time on bait cut the line let it go retied,re baited next cast same fish. Bonked it! Once I caught the same hen Steelhead 3 times tryin to get the big buck she was with. Never could get him to bite. I think it's pretty common?

#412606 - 02/08/08 11:37 PM Re: Have you ever? [Re: Mystical Legends]
bobber&jig Offline
Juvenile at Sea

These are great stories, I hope there are more!

#412608 - 02/08/08 11:40 PM Re: Have you ever? [Re: bobber&jig]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
yes. with many species

j7 2012

#412618 - 02/09/08 12:14 AM Re: Have you ever? [Re: j 7]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Biters are biters.

Non-biters ain't.

Suffice it to say, non-biters suck.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#412619 - 02/09/08 12:15 AM Re: Have you ever? [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

OK I just re-read that last post.... I think I left it wide open for a SOL-ism.

Any takers?

Or should I say biters?

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#412621 - 02/09/08 12:20 AM Re: Have you ever? [Re: eyeFISH]
bobber&jig Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Im good with biters!!! We are talking fish right?

#412623 - 02/09/08 12:21 AM Re: Have you ever? [Re: eyeFISH]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
My buddy hooked a nice 15# fish in the Cedar back in the early 80's, played it out and I had it locked between my legs and the boulders, at least I thought I had it locked up. It did a flip and between my legs it went and back out in the river free. After getting bitched out, I stood up and cast behind the same rock (while he was tying on a new leader) and hooked that same fish, we knew it because it was just as big and came in like a stick and we found his hook in its lip. Of course I claimed it as mine!

#412632 - 02/09/08 12:40 AM Re: Have you ever? [Re: GBL]
DJ wonderkid Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle/port Angeles Washingto...
Well I got one for you I was floating down the Hump with one of my body's last year in October and we were back bounceing for Kings then his rod went down and he's like I'm snagged and when you know what about five seconds later my line gose tight and takes off and about three seconds later his supposedly snagged line woke up and it turned out we both have the same twenty pounder. I had it in the right side of the day and he had it in the left in the fish comes up shows off and then handshakes twice and throws both hooks.

Ironic thing is we were just mentioning such instances just minutes before it all happened in the guide was saying how he's never seen a fall Chinook do that. But I guess you can say he's seen it happen now,lol

#412641 - 02/09/08 12:53 AM Re: Have you ever? [Re: DJ wonderkid]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
My brother and I were trolling Lake Cushman back in the late 60's. Both our rods go off at the same time. As we are reeling in we notice our lines coming together back behind the boat. My dad netted a nice size Kokanee with a Triple Teaser hanging our both sides of its mouth.

#412642 - 02/09/08 12:56 AM Re: Have you ever? [Re: DJ wonderkid]
Red Neckerson Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: WA
I caught the same winter run native hen three days in a row, everytime in a different hole. WIERD. Everyday, she was a heck of a fighter. I also caught her fishing bait during brat season.

#412654 - 02/09/08 01:19 AM Re: Have you ever? [Re: Red Neckerson]
Symbiosis Offline
Smolt

Loc: Olympia
funny..... first thing that came to my mind was my son (maybe 5 or 6 at the time) & a buddy's daughter sittin in the back of the boat in the marina at Neah (while we went up for lunch) one warm afternoon soaking leftover herring heads & catching something like 13 ratfish (which was actually probably only 3 different fish.) Swore they caught one of 'em with some distinct mark 6 or 7 times - just getting an absolute kick out of it- caught it one last time when we got back just to prove it to us. Certainly not unusual but had to be hands down one of their best fishing memories.

#412723 - 02/09/08 02:16 PM Re: Have you ever? [Re: Symbiosis]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Many times have caught the same fish.

At least three times I have for sure caught the same steelhead on consective casts (once the fish was marked with a tag and twice the fish was identify by its sex, length, and missing scale patch).

One tagged steelhead was caught 8 times over about a month

took part in a bull trout tagging study where I multiple char were caught multiple times. A couple of the more interesting fish was one where there was 4 years between the time I first caught and when I caught it a second time.

Another bull trout I caught the second time on November 2 and caught it again on November 2 a year later behind exactly the same bloulder on the Skagit. It was miles from it was originally tagged and downstream of its probably spawning tributary

In 1983 on the Sauk during the CnR season I hooked and lost the same huge steelhead 3 times over a 1o day period. I'm sure that it was the same fish (several inches longer than anything I have ever caught). It was hooked in the same spot every time, on the same color corkie and broken off on the same brush pile - darn!

Have a ton of such tales

Tight lines
Curt

#412729 - 02/09/08 02:28 PM Re: Have you ever? [Re: Smalma]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
Several years ago I caught the same native cutthroat five times from a small stream over a series of evenings fishing the same pool. Its jaw showed the marks from the barbless hook from previous releases. This was over a period of a couple of weeks.

#412743 - 02/09/08 03:13 PM Re: Have you ever? [Re: Sebastes]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
I 've done it More than once on steelhead. Hooked and lost one small 4 +/- lber three times. I know it was the same fish because he jumped all three times. The first one he had someone elses gear hanging out of his mouth. He broke me off on the second attempt and when he jumped and threw me off the third you could see both leaders hanging out of his mouth. Pretty sure I swung and missed on him at least a couple of more times too.
My brother has the top story, though. Hooked a silver up in alaska that fought hard all the way to the boat. It pops off the line at the last second and starts to float away just out of reach. Suddenly it catches it breath, shoots towards the boat and hits the tiny peice of bait left on the hooks. One pull and it rolls over and is netted.

#412986 - 02/10/08 02:21 AM Re: Have you ever? [Re: Krijack]
Pugnacious Offline
Spawner

Loc: It's funny to me!
More than I care to count.

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

Boise State- National title, here we come!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
FrankR, fsraffa, hartwell
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 360 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13411
eyeFISH 12612
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63807 Topics
645760 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |