LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#465074 - 11/04/08 09:11 AM What do you guys think?
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
On Page 10, Nov 08 Edition, Northwest Sportsman, is an ariticle "Sportfishing Group Wants to Expand Netting Areas"

Jim Martin's seemingly heretical plan could lead to more recreational fishing on the Columbia and coast, but he needs help

This Group, S.A.F.E. (Selected Area Fisheries Enhancement) headed by Jim Martin, erstwhile head of Oregon Fisheries says Spoties must allow Commercials to fish more
nearer the mouth's of rivers in isolated bays. The Sporties then would be allowed more access to the main channel's fish. He also claims we'd, the Sporties, would have to give up bitching about gillnets. By doing so, he claims, both groups would benefit from the MItchell Act funding. I have just heard about S.A.F.E. from this article.
Here's more info: http://wdfw.wa.gov/com/aug0908_14_safe.pdf

Personally I accept most of this on first reading, but I still reserve the right to bitch about gills nets anytime anywhere.. There are other ways of getting fish out of the water.

Edited by Phoenix77 (11/04/08 09:12 AM)

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#465080 - 11/04/08 09:43 AM Re: What do you guys think? [Re: Phoenix77]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I'm pretty sure that proposal is already DOA.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#465081 - 11/04/08 09:45 AM Re: What do you guys think? [Re: Phoenix77]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Sorry, gill nets aren't selective enough to be the water. Period.

#465103 - 11/04/08 11:37 AM Re: What do you guys think? [Re: ParaLeaks]
laterun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Napavine,Washington
+1

#465105 - 11/04/08 11:46 AM Re: What do you guys think? [Re: laterun]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
I hope your right Todd. DOA would be good for this bill and the entire gill net fishery.

#465106 - 11/04/08 11:47 AM Re: What do you guys think? [Re: laterun]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
Return fish wheels and traps as the primary method of commercial harvest on the Columbia. Sort the fish caught, and release all wild fish. Manage harvest of hatchery fish equitably between commercial and sport.

#465144 - 11/04/08 02:26 PM Re: What do you guys think? [Re: milt roe]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

The LCR non-treaty commercial gillnet fishery is an anachronism whose time is past. It's a liability to society with few or no benefits. Commercially harvested salmon are readily available from treaty tribal fisheries for those who don't catch their own fish. There is no good socio-economic reason to continue the non-treaty gillnet fishery in this time of depleted salmon runs and ESA listed salmon and steelhead. I think I might have mentioned this once before.

Sg

#465148 - 11/04/08 02:53 PM Re: What do you guys think? [Re: Salmo g.]
Fishguy50 Offline
Fry

I would rather an area be closed to all fishing rather than share it with gillnets. Gillnets are the enemy, Let's keep it that way

#465153 - 11/04/08 03:05 PM Re: What do you guys think? [Re: Salmo g.]
Wooly Bully Offline
Spawner

Loc: NE Seattle
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
There is no good socio-economic reason to continue the non-treaty gillnet fishery in this time of depleted salmon runs and ESA listed salmon and steelhead. I think I might have mentioned this once before.

Sg

Without the CR non-tribal gill netting, the tribes woud be the only group not using selective gear. They're not gonna let that happen. Who would they be "in common with"?

#465239 - 11/04/08 07:12 PM Re: What do you guys think? [Re: Wooly Bully]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

WB,

In common with has nothing to do with gear type. It's about the right to fish, regardless of method.

Sg

#465247 - 11/04/08 07:27 PM Re: What do you guys think? [Re: Salmo g.]
Wooly Bully Offline
Spawner

Loc: NE Seattle
It's all in the intrpetation SG. In common with is pretty ambiguous. Are you saying you dont think the tribes are motivated to keep the non-tribal gillnetters around?

#465489 - 11/05/08 12:47 PM Re: What do you guys think? [Re: Wooly Bully]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

WB,

I think the motivation is higher in Puget Sound. There may be some on the Columbia, but I don't think it has much relevance.

Sg

#465549 - 11/05/08 03:23 PM Re: What do you guys think? [Re: Phoenix77]
OntheColumbia Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Columbia Co. Oregon
Originally Posted By: Phoenix77
On Page 10, Nov 08 Edition, Northwest Sportsman, is an ariticle "Sportfishing Group Wants to Expand Netting Areas"

A more accurate and less divisive title would have been -

"Sportfishing Coalition to Remove Commercial Gillnets from Columbia and Restrict them to Existing Terminal Areas"

#465553 - 11/05/08 03:28 PM Re: What do you guys think? [Re: OntheColumbia]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Ban all nets.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#465660 - 11/05/08 11:46 PM Re: What do you guys think? [Re: OntheColumbia]
bcanini Offline
Fry

Loc: Orygun
an even more correct title would be "Sportfishing Coalition to Remove Commercial Gillnets from Columbia and Restrict them to Existing Terminal Areas while enhancing the available fish to the netters by taking smolt production from upriver fisherman and giving them to LCR non-tribal commercial gillnet fisherman"

I really hope this doesn't fly Gary K, they need to be removed totally, not given more.

B

Edited by bcanini (11/05/08 11:46 PM)

#465715 - 11/06/08 08:38 AM Re: What do you guys think? [Re: bcanini]
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

At our board meeting last night, I passed a copy of the article in question around to the members. None of them have heard of this program. They did not seem to think the PSA has indeed endorsed it and stated at the end of the article.

CCA SeaTac Chapter

#465728 - 11/06/08 10:55 AM Re: What do you guys think? [Re: Salmo g.]
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

CCA SeaTac Chapter

#465794 - 11/06/08 02:49 PM Re: What do you guys think? [Re: bcanini]
OntheColumbia Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: bcanini
an even more correct title would be "Sportfishing Coalition to Remove Commercial Gillnets from Columbia and Restrict them to Existing Terminal Areas while enhancing the available fish to the netters by taking smolt production from upriver fisherman and giving them to LCR non-tribal commercial gillnet fisherman"

I really hope this doesn't fly Gary K, they need to be removed totally, not given more.
B

I wouldn't mind that either.

However the REAL, TRUE and HONEST political reality is that nobody in the forseeable future is going to eliminate commercial fishing from the Columbia River.

We can either restrict the commercials to these SAFE areas, which are largely already in place, and politically doable.

Or....

We can continue to be locked in an unending battle with the commercials every year over allocations, and spend most of our energy there, instead of working on other vital issues that are impacting CR salmon even more.

That annual allocation battle will continue IF mainstem gillnets are replaced with 'selective methods'. In fact, with selective methods on the mainstem, the commercials will actually take FAR more hatchery fish --- fish that won't be available for anglers. IF you're pissed at them for taking like 4000 springers, wait until they take three or four time that amount --- that's result 'selective' methods gets us.

And under all scenarios, because of Federal hatchery reform policies, production is and will continue to move downriver.

So the real question is -- do anglers get something in return, like getting the commercial nets off the mainstem? Or just simply lose that production as it's moved downriver and give the gillnets a windfall?

There's wishful thinking and reality.

The proponents of this proposal have been involved with this gillnet issue since the 1992 Steelheaders net-ban initiative in Oregon, and even before that (virtually everyone in our strategy sessions is a CCA member too). There's a very good reason, these veterans of the gillnet wars are proposing this -- we want to WIN. And NOW is the time.

IF anyone has a better plan that's also politically feasible, please bring it -- we'd love to support it.

BTW, have you noticed who won the Washington Governor's race?
Yes, the candidate that Northwest Sportfishing Industry Association endorsed.

#465844 - 11/06/08 05:00 PM Re: What do you guys think? [Re: ]
OntheColumbia Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
This is nothing more than an impact allocation grab.

If only it were that simple.

And, it's not a cure for everything....

But it does get the nets off the below Bonneville mainstem,
- off the sturgeon,
- off the sockeye,
- off the ESA steelhead,
- eliminates the sealions from taking ESA salmon out of mainstem nets,
- eliminates other mainstem bycatch and drop-out

* creates predictable and stable sportfishing seasons that can be planned on, whether you're a retailer purchasing ahead, or a angler trying to plan vacation.

Down here, Auntym, the sportfishing industry from tackle shops to to boat dealers is going broke and needs relief.

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
Get rid of the gillnets. Period.

Like I said earlier -- show us a feasible plan. IF somebody has something better, we'd be the first to sign-on

We've put ours out there for scrutiny.

Not wishful thinking, not a bumper sticker slogan, but an achievable plan.

BTW, has that Legislator up there that heads that key committee - Jacobson (?)- gotten over his infatuation with maintaining gillnetters? A pretty substantial obstacle there.

Edited by GaryK (11/06/08 05:07 PM)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
FrankR, fsraffa, hartwell
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (I'm Still RichG, 1 invisible), 372 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13411
eyeFISH 12612
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63807 Topics
645760 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |