Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#529609 - 08/17/09 08:52 PM Sharks in Puget Sound
charr Offline
Spawner

Loc: Yuppie Ville
It's taken a couple of days for me to post this with the fear everyone would think I'm nuts.
Saturday evening, My son, a good friend of mine and myself were trolling at West Point. My rod started to get bit so I popped it off the down rigger and turned it over to my son. I thought for sure it might be a Dog fish. The fish comes to the surface about 30 yards behind the boat and I still couldn't quite tell what it was. All of a sudden, the rod takes a hard jerk down and comes back up with the origional about of pressure from this small fish attached. Then we see a shark fin and tail on the top of the water behind the fish. I would guess the distance from the dorsal to the tail was around 36". I've seen my fair share of Dog Fish in my days, but this did not appear to be one. So we get this fish up to the boat and it's a True Cod with a bite taken out of its' back. I wish I had a camera with me so you could see the bite mark. It went clean through the spine and was about 4" across at the widest point. It wasn't chewed up, just a clean, single bite.
I know there's 6 Gill Sharks in the Sound, but I thought they were most active late at night. Any thoughts on what type of shark this could have been?

#529618 - 08/17/09 09:21 PM Re: Sharks in Puget Sound [Re: charr]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
A large dogfish
We "casught several such fish this past week that had taken smolts that was hooked on spoons. The smolt's head was still on the hook (along with the dogfish) but the rest was gone with a single clean bite. Have seen this in the past.

Tight lines
Curt

#529624 - 08/17/09 09:39 PM Re: Sharks in Puget Sound [Re: Smalma]
charr Offline
Spawner

Loc: Yuppie Ville
Thanks Smalma. That was the biggest friggin Dogfish I've ever seen. I couldn't believe one could take a bite that clean?

#529653 - 08/17/09 10:34 PM Re: Sharks in Puget Sound [Re: charr]
fishenfool Offline
Spawner

Loc: DASHPOINT
You catch 40 plus inchers in Willapa Bay often, I remember one year some guy was asking me to give him my big dogs, he eats them he said.

#529656 - 08/17/09 10:38 PM Re: Sharks in Puget Sound [Re: fishenfool]
gilly Offline
Hazmat

Loc: on the river
A few years ago we had dog fish eating our kings on the way up to the boat. Mostly the smaller fish, but we had one about 10 lbs that looked like it was attacked by a cookie cutter. The fish was gutted and mangled by the time it came to the net.

matt

#529699 - 08/18/09 12:28 AM Re: Sharks in Puget Sound [Re: gilly]
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
There are quite a few larger ones on the west side of Possession. Between 3' and 4' occasionally. Several years ago we hooked a big one there. I happened to look down while my buddy was releasing it. There was another huge one following our 12 pound DR ball about 6" away, I think studying it to see if it could eat it?

They are not really smart, just hungry. A big blue shark followed us out in the ocean quite a few years ago. It was funny as a small log of about 6" arouind and 3 feet long got between us. It was butting it with its head and then biting it. It did this several times before giving up. I had the camera on the seat for a while to get some good shots of it. When I ran up to get the camera for some shots, My wife put it away, so I missed it. My guess is it was trying to figure out if it could eat it.
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

#529716 - 08/18/09 01:20 AM Re: Sharks in Puget Sound [Re: Fishinnut]
team cracker Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Washington
About ten years ago I aw a shark off Patos Island that was 6-7 ft long, way, way thicker than a dogfish it's pectoral fins probably had a 3 ft spread, I was told by the guy I was with that it was a salmon shark. We got a good look it swam right underneath the boat, maybe that's what it was?

#529737 - 08/18/09 03:35 AM Re: Sharks in Puget Sound [Re: team cracker]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
Could've been a six gill shark. They get up to 200 lbs or so.

#529757 - 08/18/09 11:02 AM Re: Sharks in Puget Sound [Re: Irie]
Jeff D Offline
Spawner

Loc: S. Whidbey
I've seen BIG dog fish on the beaches - like 5+ feet long.

Last weekend a guy cleaned a salmon and threw the carcass (head/tail/spine all intact) into the bay and sure's hell, a dog fish attacked it, thrashing around the shallows like it was a fresh fish that might get away.

#529764 - 08/18/09 11:16 AM Re: Sharks in Puget Sound [Re: Jeff D]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
Dorsal to the tail +/- 36 ". Looking at some photos, dorsal to the tip of the tail is a little bit more than half the length of a dogfish. That would make your fish around 5-6 feet long. According to a NMFS publication, maximum size for a spiny dogfish is around 5.25 feet. So I guess it is possible that you saw a huge dogfish. But you said it didn't look like a dogfish - In what way?

#529769 - 08/18/09 11:18 AM Re: Sharks in Puget Sound [Re: Jeff D]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

There's also what we called sand sharks. We used to catch them when we were kids. About 3 to 4 feet long and gray but the following article doesn't mention them.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20000215&slug=4004949

#529775 - 08/18/09 11:27 AM Re: Sharks in Puget Sound [Re: stlhead]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Unless there's a different one, I've always thought that when folks around here say "Sand Shark" or "Mud Shark", that they are actually referring to Spiny Dogfish.

Out in MA9 last week every king we brought up would have six or eight doggies following it all the way to the net, and they were not small ones...several in the 4 foot plus range every time.

If you were unlucky enough to hook a bullhead or flounder, the sharks would be on it in a few seconds if you didn't immediately get it up and off the hook, and several times we reeled up dogfish hooked on the back of flounder, reeled 'em both up.

More often we just reeled up the back half of a flounder.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#529780 - 08/18/09 11:44 AM Re: Sharks in Puget Sound [Re: Todd]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
While diving a sheer ledge out on the Sunshine Coast of Canadia, as I was hovering along side the ledge doing some decompression obligations, I got to watch a 4-5' doggie swim out from the green abyss and run right in the middle of my chest. It never tried to bite me - was more like a moronic dogfish torpedo. Just came out of nowhere with me in it's sights, and hit me center of mass. Fortunately, the sharkhead must have been a dud, as it didn't explode.

It sorta bumped (hard) off of my chest, did a couple of quick turns in the water and then swam off back in to the green abyss as I tried to grab it's tail.

Of all the thousands of dives I did off of Alki and up in Barkley Sound, I've still never personally seen a 6-gill, or any other oceanic shark while diving. frown

Just some chinarks.

#529785 - 08/18/09 11:54 AM Re: Sharks in Puget Sound [Re: The Moderator]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Poor buggars

Attachments
P7260118_resize.JPG

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#529788 - 08/18/09 12:02 PM Re: Sharks in Puget Sound [Re: NOFISH]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
When i was a kid, it was more or less a given that fishermen would kill every dogfish they caught. I remember one time when my Dad took a knife and slit open a big dogfish and then cut the line. I saw the the dogfish swim around beneath the boat eating its own guts. Pretty cool. Obviously left an impression on me.

#529797 - 08/18/09 12:26 PM Re: Sharks in Puget Sound [Re: milt roe]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Maybe they were six gill pups? In fact my dad's bro from MN brought two back to the house once. Why? Who knows. But definitely grey and not even close to being a dog fish.

"It sorta bumped (hard) off of my chest"

It was marking you. He made you his.....

Mudshark legend:

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/mudshark.asp

#529813 - 08/18/09 01:31 PM Re: Sharks in Puget Sound [Re: stlhead]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Guy at work was fishing Whidbey yesterday and caught a doggie well over 4' from the beach.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#529826 - 08/18/09 01:59 PM Re: Sharks in Puget Sound [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
NOFISH--aint them hooks a bit far apart?

#529915 - 08/18/09 06:23 PM Re: Sharks in Puget Sound [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
The mudshark has an theme song by Frank and The Mothers of Invention, so they got that going for 'em.

#529945 - 08/18/09 07:51 PM Re: Sharks in Puget Sound [Re: Chuck E]
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
I think I see barbs too, Cheater smile I always thought the six gilled chinarks stayed deep, like over 300' deep. Maybe not? I've caught some big doggies in my day, but none over 5 feet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, Krijack), 218 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13411
eyeFISH 12612
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63806 Topics
645743 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |