THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55557 - 12/14/03 06:10 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
Sambo Offline
Smolt

Loc: Kennewick, Wa 99336
Little Fish,

You are right. I gues one needs to priortize what he wants, then see which one fits best. You could also do the Pros Vs Cons and see where you come out. I have been in the back of the Chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab and there seems to be quite a bit of room, but not as much as the Tundra double cab. Maybe when I go out and start driving the trucks I am interested in, I will get a better feel for what I like and come up with some logical conclusion. I realize that I can't get everything I am looking for but hope to get close.

Sambo

#55558 - 12/15/03 11:18 AM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
They are all good rigs,with all of them having some high points the others don't.It all depends on what you want.
If your looking for reliability and future resale value,I dont know how you could beat the Toyota.
If you do a little research Im sure you will see what I mean
Also,Toyota just passed ford as the #2 selling rig behind chevy.That should tell you something about them.

#55559 - 12/15/03 05:58 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Sambo:
Need some input. I will be buying a new 2004 truck in the next 3-5 months and have been doing lots of research on the Totyota Tundra Access Cab, 4 x 4, V-8, SR5, the Chevy 1500 Ext. Cab, 4 x 4, LS, 5.3L V-8, Short Bed, and the GMC Sierra 1500, Ext. Cab, 4 x 4, SLE, 5.3L V-8, Short Bed. I have two elementary aged children so room in the back is a must. Main purpose of travel: Pull my 14 ft Lowe, take kids to school, keep open the option of buying a camper, hunt, fish, trips over the mountain pass, etc. I have come up with a couple of my own conclusions but would love to hear from you. Thanks.

Sambo

#55560 - 12/15/03 06:14 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Sambo,

I purchased a 2000 Tundra 4x4 Access Cab Limited V8 in April 2002. Toyotas are known for their reliability and safety. Overall, the Tundra I purchased has been great. In the first two year models there were some issues with the braking system which toyota replaced under warranty. I believe they have since upgraded the braking systems in the newer models (you should ask them about it). I think when choosing a truck the most important issue to consider is "what will you be using it for". Toyota Tundras are not as big or as powerful as Chevy or Ford trucks but for me the Tundra has more than enough power and load carrying capacity for my needs.(and I can still park it in normal parking spaces....) This year Toyota is offering a 4-door Super Cab model Tundra, which should be perfect for trucking the family around while still giving some hauling and payload ability (you give up bed length in this case). If you have any other questions you can email me at tailwalk@aol.com

#55561 - 12/17/03 04:23 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
If you would like a really great price on a Chevy try looking at Dave Smith in Idaho. they sell Dodge (gag) and Chevy. my buddy has an 02 dodge (gag) that he saved over 8k by buying from Dave Smith. I think you could do a search and find his dealership and get a price right over the www. worth a try for 8k?

dc

#55562 - 12/17/03 07:58 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
cast and blast Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
I have an 02 GMC 1500 xcab, short bed. It is the best truck I have ever owned. 5.3 with goodies puts out 300 horses and I have never had any problems towing other vehicles, trailers or my old boat (6000 lbs).

I would but this truck again in a heartbeat.

#55563 - 12/18/03 05:52 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Quote:
Picking up my new rig next week sometime.....should be my last truck for quite a while.

2004 F-350 King Ranch, crew Fx4 SRW , 6.0 powerstroke, etc.

Have had a powerstroke since 99 and I LOVE it.
What......the old truck couldn't carry the payload of that Avatar fish? laugh

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#55564 - 12/22/03 01:44 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Sierra's and Silverados are basically the same thing... Sierra's just cost a lot more.

I'd go with the Silverado Ext.... More room then the F150 (If you are sticking with half tons), and its not goofy looking like all those "king cabs" and "double cabs". My bro had no troubles hooking up a 4horse trailer half loaded with his 1500, so I don't think your boat will really hurt either... just observations.

I've noticed Ford engines are pretty badass.... But thats about the only nice thing about them. My ranger is always having electrical problems and I had the seat rail just BREAK on me while I was on the freeway... nearly wrecked and Ford got a nice letter from me.

Curtis

#55565 - 12/24/03 01:51 AM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
Hey Steve,

I just bought the F350 PS 6L Diesel myself....

Although the kids won't be going to college now, I couldn't be happier. I have long been a Chevy fan, but this truck is DA BOMB.. Everything I could ask for- gas mileage is great, a lot of power (I needed it), lot's of room for the rug rats. This truck has more juice than the 7.3L- hands down.

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#55566 - 12/24/03 02:46 AM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA , USA
John, like I have to agree with the 6.0 eating up my 99 7.3, lots of power without the help of a Superchip or anything. The Torqshift tranny is sweet too, I can hardly tell it shifts anymore. I moved on up from a supercab to the crewcab in the King Ranch edition....estate green, easier to keep clean. That is a must in my book, the size of these things are incredible to wash, takes up too much fishing time.

Take it easy, Steve.

Dad, think that if I practice hard, they'll let me participate in the SRC ?
[Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers....Join your local chapter. CCA member

#55567 - 12/24/03 06:23 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
Rivernut Offline
Juvenille at Sea

DURAMAX!!!!!
NOTHING ELSE TO SAY

#55568 - 12/24/03 06:30 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA , USA
Sorry RiverNut, in tests done between the Diesels, the Ford always has outpulled the Duramax.
I will give them one thing, they are quieter than the ford and dodge, and have a great tranny from what I heard.

Steve

Dad, think that if I practice hard, they'll let me participate in the SRC ?
[Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers....Join your local chapter. CCA member

#55569 - 12/25/03 02:53 PM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
bullshooter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: graham wa.
in 03 dodge came out with the common rail diesel engine. which i believe is every bit as quiet as the duramax. the high output model originally came with a 6spd. trans. @305 hp. the autos were rated @ 250. later in the year they came out with high output autos with beefier trannys. and to top that, the last time i was at tech training i was told that the hp ratings were going to be bumped up to the 340-350 range. the exact number was classified due to the one-upmanship battle between the big three.

as far as a 1\2 ton truck with a roomy back seat and a full bed. check out a dodge. with the hemi i dont thik there would be any problem towing anything. i think there are some huge rebates on them right now too. and what ever you do. make sure you deal with a fleet salesperson or fleet dept. alot of dealers have them. you will avoid the dealer markup.

#55570 - 12/26/03 12:38 AM Re: Which Truck to Buy?
bear Offline
Parr

Loc: federal way
My Duramax runs circles around my old 87 6.9 no smoke or oil consumption . The torque curve is around 1500 rpms. thats where it likes to pull and so quiet. Nice smoth shift on the Allison and the tow haul feature is a + you can go down hills hit the button and it sences the load and shifts down to 4 th gear and acts like a retarder with little or no brake reqiered.The payload is great to with the 2500HD and I love the 4 doors with the family and the Arima. thumbs
Bear

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
luvcatchinem, only sage, seastrikeathome
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (fp, 1 invisible), 383 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13411
eyeFISH 12612
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63807 Topics
645760 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |