Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#64781 - 02/04/02 11:58 AM Hi Everyone & Klineline question
Stacie L. Kelsey Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver
Sorry I have been absent. Actually, I have been having a lot of problems with the speed of getting into the Forum, so I had given up completely. It may be due to our server here.

At any rate, I will try this again!

Regarding Klineline Pond, the stocking change should be temporary. In the past we used to have the water as seasonal. For the couple of months that fishing was not allowed, the pond was able to 'turn over' a natural occurring functions for many bodies of water.

It was thought by Vancouver Parks and Recreation, that because we went to year-round, the pond was not allowed enough of a break. It was suggested to me that the overabundance of fish was more than partially to blame.

Well that is pretty much a pile of pooey. The fact is that the pond suffers from over abundance of garbage, unfortunately from the users of the pond and a certain amount of run-off from the houses above.

This pond has such an enormous 'put and take' fishery that the fish are never in there long enough to cause a problem.

I would recommend that anglers contact Vancouver Parks and Recreation with their concerns about the pond. I have done my part as far as cutting the stocking of the pond by 70%+. There is still algae and slime... which can't be coming from too many fish because there hasn't been hardly any there for months now.

I understand your frustrations as anglers. It is a great little pond, especially for kids.

I will go down and take a look and see what its current condition is and start figuring out a way to get the fishery back.

I will be checking in here often, so if there is anything you need, please let me know.

For those of you who do not know me, I work for Washington State Fish and Wildlife out of the Vancouver Regional Office. I cover the six counties in southwest Washington along with my supervisor John Weinheimer in the Inland Fish Program.

I work with all species of trout, warmwater fish and grass carp.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you!

stace
smile

#64782 - 02/04/02 06:02 PM Re: Hi Everyone & Klineline question
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
Welcome back Stace! Thanks for the info on Klineline.
Where'd you put the excess fish (that would normally have been headed for klineline - were it not for that 70% cut-back)??

-Chad

#64783 - 02/04/02 06:52 PM Re: Hi Everyone & Klineline question
Stacie L. Kelsey Offline
Returning Adult

They went into Battle Ground Lake and Lacamas.

The silly thing is that all these fish are in Battle Ground and no one is targeting them. I think there is still concerns about the e.coli mess. Even though it never involved the fish.

stace

smile

#64784 - 02/05/02 12:30 AM Re: Hi Everyone & Klineline question
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Wow, I was just about to email you! Never got a chance to over the weekend and figured I'd do it on Monday because you wouldn't get it over the weekend anyway. Thanks for the response. smile Too bad about the slow connection.

Klineline certainly used to be a great pond. Not equivalent to a high mountain lake in terms of scenery, but a nice place to go and have some fun and maybe bring home a few trout for dinner. Good place for kids too like you mention. Too bad that there has to be a littering crowd. And too bad about those houses (that sure was a heck of a place to put them, right on the edge of the cliff and all). As far as the birds go, I guess that's a natural thing. I think you folks (WDFW) tried relocating them at one time, but they ended up coming right back. Or maybe that was the Sand Island relocation I'm thinking of? But with the algae, would it be possibe, as RipDatLip from this forum suggested, to plant a few hundred grass carp (or how ever many you think would be suitable) in there to keep the algal population down?

Thanks again for your time and comments. smile

#64785 - 02/05/02 07:54 PM Re: Hi Everyone & Klineline question
Stacie L. Kelsey Offline
Returning Adult

smile

We did plant grass carp and the birds ate them!

Then we planted bigger ones and they seemed to do pretty good.

Grass carp are not big on algae, they will eat that last. They did a great job cleaning out the excess submergent weeds.

The algae is a different beast altogether. Too much phosphorus and I am not sure why that is. Parks will try and say it is the fish and it isn't.

I will be really focusing on Klineline over the next couple of months and will keep you updated.

We did just plant 2000 fish in last week. So they will last a little while!

stace

#64786 - 02/09/02 03:09 PM Re: Hi Everyone & Klineline question
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Stacie L. Kelsey:
I will be really focusing on Klineline over the next couple of months and will keep you updated.
Sounds great! smile Hope you come up with a workable solution and yes, please keep us updated. About the larger grass carp that were planted-I wonder if they're still in there? I thought if they were caught it was mandatory to release them, but it seems those underwater weeds are popping up like crazy especially around the shore. So maybe they've died or been taken out of there by anglers? Anyway, thanks again for your time and concern. smile By the way, do you know if the triploid program is going to be done again this year? Sure did enjoy those big ones last year at a particular place that opens the last Saturday in April. laugh Also, will the numbers of stocked fish be about the same as last year? Thanks.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
arroem, Bill G, eddie, MetalheadMatt
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, Denham, steely slammer), 916 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13411
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63813 Topics
645816 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |