Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#70654 - 06/28/03 07:39 PM "German" Brown Trout
Poacher Hater Offline
Fry

What is up with calling brown trout in Mineral and Silver lake "GERMAN" brown trout. Can someone actually tell us all the genus/species name of a "german" brown trout. Let's just call them what they are brown trout. Or how about using genus speices names?:-)

#70655 - 06/28/03 08:27 PM Re: "German" Brown Trout
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA
Brown trout are brown trout. The scientific name is Salmo Trutta. They can be called European or German (that's where they're orginally from) but you aren't incorrect just calling them brown trout.

Here's all you ever wanted to know...and more... about brown trout. http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsaf/sportfishing/species/brn.htm

#70656 - 06/29/03 11:09 AM Re: "German" Brown Trout
Preston Singletary Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
The first brown trout to be brought to this country (1880) were from Germany in the form of fertilized eggs. These eggs were obtained from the president of the German Fish Culturists Association, Baron Friedrich Felix von Behr, by Fred Mather of the U.S. Fish Commission. Many subsequent shipments of brown trout eggs came from Germany as well as from Scotland and England and the fish were initially stocked in New York and Michigan.

Some claim to be able to differentiate between the German and Scottish (Loch Leven, because some of the Scottish eggs were from this lake)) strains, usually based on color differences. The idea being that the more silvery-colored fish are descended from the Loch Leven strain while those with more brown and yellow coloring were "German browns" or "von Behr trout". In fact, the multiple strains have been so mixed over a hundred years of hatchery and wild breeding that it is unlikely that anything like a pure strain of either remains. Color differences are far more likely due to environmental factors; the colors of all of the trouts vary widely due to the "background" colors of their habitats.

#70657 - 06/29/03 02:43 PM Re: "German" Brown Trout
solidsteel Offline
Fry

Loc: Everett
I am going to take a stab in the dark and assume you are talking about my post on mineral.
All I can say is that everyone I know has always called them German browns. At least in Oregon anyway. I've never heard them called anything else, and surely not Salmo trutta. When was the last time you heard someone say, "man, I just caught a really nice Salmo trutta". huh I guess I'll just call them brown trout from now on.
By the way, the web site for Mineral lake resort states that the lake was planted in April 2003 with 5,000 German browns. confused

Sorry for the confusion.
SS

#70658 - 06/29/03 06:36 PM Re: "German" Brown Trout
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA
It doesn't matter much what you call it, I think most will get the idea of what you're trying to say! Like how most NW residents say "pop" rather than "soda."

The WDFW does consider them brown trout, not german browns.

Strange, I've noticed that most fly fishers call them brown trout and bait/spin fishers call them german brown trout.

#70659 - 06/29/03 08:35 PM Re: "German" Brown Trout
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
I've caught browns in the UK, and have caught them in Germany (I was an exchange student there in the late 80's). Much different fishing, you had to PAY to fish the beats in both countries. Germany was more a "club owned" sections of rivers, if not all. I can honestly say that I could NOT tell the difference between the one's in the UK and Germany then the one's I've caught here. Only difference is that I had to pay all my fees to get to destinations, THEN pay to have a ghillie run with me (except for the few times I was able to get in touch with a club that owned the beat and was given more leeway to go by myself).

So, either way, you're good to go.

Northwest River Fisherman

#70660 - 06/30/03 02:02 AM Re: "German" Brown Trout
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
german brown is just another common name for the fish, like calling them brownies

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Ripsnort
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, Krijack), 739 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13397
eyeFISH 12607
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63790 Topics
645515 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |