THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#811745 - 01/02/13 03:54 AM Check it out: Old Fenwick ad....
Audball Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton, WA
This ad is from my Jan '73 STS magazine. Thought some might find it interesting.....

[img]http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac180/Audball0770/73STSpg6.jpg?t=1357114573[/img]

[img]http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac180/Audball0770/73STSpg8.jpg?t=1357114598[/img]

#811751 - 01/02/13 10:34 AM Re: Check it out: Old Fenwick ad.... [Re: Audball]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Have 2 friends that still fish with ol' Fenwicks; one a FS79C and the other a FS83C. Both with ABU Garcia 5000's, of course. Built a nice Lami X96JC rod for one this Xmas and his main concern was whether he would still be able to fish his Fenny on my boat. Some things die hard.

Weird, I bought my first Fenwick at Warsahl's and they aren't even listed as a dealer. I also worked at Jafco Tukwila a few years later and don't remember them even carrying fishing gear.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#811754 - 01/02/13 10:47 AM Re: Check it out: Old Fenwick ad.... [Re: Mooch]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I still fish my 1970s Fenwick trout rod. Did you know Fenwick was once owned by Lamiglas?

Edited by Dave Vedder (01/02/13 10:48 AM)

#811755 - 01/02/13 10:53 AM Re: Check it out: Old Fenwick ad.... [Re: Mooch]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

I had two FS79C's and loved them. I thought I was really stepping up when I upgraded to a $35 rod. Ernst Hardware circa 1975?

They were great plug rods and my last one was stepped on, in the side tray, as a friend jumped out of the boat to fight a fish.

He landed it, I snapped a photo and made him a copy framed so he could remember his first steelhead and the fish that broke my rod.

smile

Edited by JTD (01/02/13 10:54 AM)
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#811756 - 01/02/13 11:09 AM Re: Check it out: Old Fenwick ad.... [Re: JTD]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
I have a minty fresh FS79C that was my Dad's. I found it at my mom's a while back in a rod tube. They're killer plug rods but also work great as a downrigger rod for coho out in the sound and baker lake sockeye. My goal is to hook a big wild steelhead on it, have a replica of the fish made, and retire the rod to hang it up next to the fish.

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#811757 - 01/02/13 11:22 AM Re: Check it out: Old Fenwick ad.... [Re: steeliedrew]
Audball Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton, WA
Originally Posted By: steeliedrew
I have a minty fresh FS79C that was my Dad's. I found it at my mom's a while back in a rod tube. They're killer plug rods but also work great as a downrigger rod for coho out in the sound and baker lake sockeye. My goal is to hook a big wild steelhead on it, have a replica of the fish made, and retire the rod to hang it up next to the fish.

Very cool idea !

#811760 - 01/02/13 11:37 AM Re: Check it out: Old Fenwick ad.... [Re: Audball]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I still fish a Fenwick FS85C that was my dad's.

JAFCO had fishing and hunting gear in Olympia.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#811900 - 01/02/13 11:33 PM Re: Check it out: Old Fenwick ad.... [Re: Dogfish]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
I have a FS83C that I use as a DR and plug rod. The add talks about using a sensitive rod, these are about the least sensitive rods you could ever find, it's almost like the goal was see how well they could insulate any tip movement from the cork.

#811915 - 01/03/13 12:24 AM Re: Check it out: Old Fenwick ad.... [Re: Audball]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

I've got a couple that are still in service and still kickin' azz.

The hottest of the bunch is this relic FS79... 7'9" w/ old school metal guides and still sporting the original 1970's Pay'N'Save price tag of $54.88 (on the butt section just above the classic Fenwick eagle logo). Great plug rod, but a bit undersized for the some of the critters we hooked last year...

Hey dogfish, I still remember JAFCO as a kid... my folks did a lot of catalog Christmas shopping there. Just don't recall them having much (if any) in the way of fishing tackle.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#811917 - 01/03/13 12:28 AM Re: Check it out: Old Fenwick ad.... [Re: eyeFISH]
Dub Offline
Returning Adult

I bought my first shotgun from Jafco in North Everett a long time ago. Really don't remember what they had for a outdoors department except for that purchase. It was the summer between Freshman and Sophmore years of high school.

#811923 - 01/03/13 12:51 AM Re: Check it out: Old Fenwick ad.... [Re: Dub]
Roy Otis Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Still have the old Fenwick Fenglass I caught my first steelie on in '82. Silver and black tadpolly just above the Sunnyside access on the Skokomish. Those things are still a great plug rod. The old man had them for both pluggin rods and drift rods. I have an M2 tied on it right now from coho season.

#811928 - 01/03/13 01:41 AM Re: Check it out: Old Fenwick ad.... [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: avidangler
Fenwick was THE rod when I was a kid. Wish I still had my ultralight trout rod. That company was never really able to break into the graphite market

Huh ?

Jim Green (Fenwick) started the graphite revolution with the HMG line.
He also developed the modern ferrule that we all use today.
Business decisions caused the Fenwick of old to die in about 1988.
I scarfed up a small bunch of the last Fenwick USA blanks that I could get my hands on in 1988.

http://rodbuilding.org/read.php?2,89440

#811929 - 01/03/13 01:47 AM Re: Check it out: Old Fenwick ad.... [Re: ]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: avidangler
That company was never really able to break into the graphite market

No... never really? Really?

For the record, they were the pioneers who pretty much paved the way for production graphite blanks/rods. They just never really took it seriously beyond that 1st generation graphite to maintain their market dominance.

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/about_history.php

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#811930 - 01/03/13 01:48 AM Re: Check it out: Old Fenwick ad.... [Re: eyeFISH]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I have 4 of their graphite rods, and I'm still fishing them.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#811941 - 01/03/13 02:36 AM Re: Check it out: Old Fenwick ad.... [Re: eyeFISH]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
I've got a couple that are still in service and still kickin' azz.

The hottest of the bunch is this relic FS79... 7'9" w/ old school metal guides and still sporting the original 1970's Pay'N'Save price tag of $54.88 (on the butt section just above the classic Fenwick eagle logo). Great plug rod, but a bit undersized for the some of the critters we hooked last year...

Hey dogfish, I still remember JAFCO as a kid... my folks did a lot of catalog Christmas shopping there. Just don't recall them having much (if any) in the way of fishing tackle.

Nice pics, Doctor.

I have two FS79Cs.
One retired with a stress fracture....maybe I'll wrap over it someday.
One is still a virgin blank.

#811948 - 01/03/13 02:56 AM Re: Check it out: Old Fenwick ad.... [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

learned to baitcast on my dads Woodstream, still have it..

#812012 - 01/03/13 11:52 AM Re: Check it out: Old Fenwick ad.... [Re: ]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

I broke three rods in my life and two of them were Fenwicks. One, an original HMG and another new HMX a couple years later - one of them wasn't even a month old. Both broke during a completely typical encounter with a fish and, in both cases, Fenwick refused to warranty either rod... as a result, I am done with their graphite series.

In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#812028 - 01/03/13 12:40 PM Re: Check it out: Old Fenwick ad.... [Re: JTD]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
Their old glass rods must rather durable, seems like there are many still being used in normal service.

#812046 - 01/03/13 01:48 PM Re: Check it out: Old Fenwick ad.... [Re: ]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
i have an FS79 that i built from a blank i picked up a few years ago. probably was one of the few un-wrapped blanks still in existence(i was told it was from someone who worked at fenwick who had a bunch of blanks, and he had died).

i put alconite guides and an old-school weibe handle kit on it, with contrasting dark green wraps. makes a wonderful egg pitching stick for small rivers...just say no to plugs.

#812053 - 01/03/13 02:29 PM Re: Check it out: Old Fenwick ad.... [Re: Chum Man]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: Chum Man
i have an FS79 that i built from a blank i picked up a few years ago. probably was one of the few un-wrapped blanks still in existence(i was told it was from someone who worked at fenwick who had a bunch of blanks, and he had died).

i put alconite guides and an old-school weibe handle kit on it, with contrasting dark green wraps. makes a wonderful egg pitching stick for small rivers...just say no to plugs.

There's something special about those Fenwick Fenglas blanks.
They even look different than their factory built rod equivalent.
The factory rods that I have handled (and own) have an opaque "chocolate milk" color and the blanks are a translucent root beer brown with barely visible, tiny gold specks.

I've always thought that the Fenglas blanks represented the highest evolution of the form.
Lighter/quicker than Lamiglas S-glas even though they were both S-glas.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bassmaster, jensen2592, PaulS, ROBYNS, SHARPSHOOTER
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 680 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63816 Topics
645857 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |