Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83937 - 12/18/99 10:12 PM Aeroflies?
IronFisherman Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Silverdale, Washington, U.S.
I was in the tackle shop today and I picked out three different types of Aeroflies. The original purple, the original red, and the new Aeropuff. Anyways I was wondering if these things work as good as everyone says they do, and if so what are some good colors?

#83938 - 12/19/99 01:57 AM Re: Aeroflies?
HSL Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle
Iron, I've had good luck with Aeroflies, but haven't tried the Aeropuff yet. Steelies seem to hang onto the Aeroflies and chomp on 'em, giving some of us slow guys a chance to set the hook. As far as colors go, I like the black one (which has a little tuft of red) in low, clear water. In water with some color to it, I like the pink marabou Aerofly. Good luck! Let us know how they work for you.

#83939 - 12/19/99 02:12 AM Re: Aeroflies?
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I have had good luck with the Aeropuffs on the Queets. The fish seem to have loved them.

#83940 - 12/20/99 01:18 AM Re: Aeroflies?
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
I also have had success using the larger-sized Aeropuff on the Queets and on other Western Peninsula rivers. They work as well as homemade rags when coupled with a shrimp tail or egg cluster. One advantage that an Aeropuff has over a rag is the drift rig itself dosen't have to be premade. With this in mind, I always keep a few Aeropuffs handy while drift fishing with rags. Every so often my leader will rip through the backer rod. When this happens the rag becomes off-centered, spins and dosen't work as well. If the leader is still good, I just rip off the old rag and slide on an Aeropuff. You're back in action without having to use a brand new rig.

#83941 - 12/20/99 02:42 AM Re: Aeroflies?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just thread your rags with small water hose. It is available at hobby shops and some petstores........Just like areo puffs. You can make your own gooey bob lures with it as well......

#83942 - 12/20/99 10:20 PM Re: Aeroflies?
Erik Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: North of Seattle/ South of For...
TIP: I keep a "bobbin threader" handy for threading rags. you can find them in any tackle store with the fly tying supplies. they're much easier than using a needle, and it doesn't take any longer than sliding a corky on your leader

#83943 - 12/21/99 02:11 PM Re: Aeroflies?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
The original purple is excellent with a small glob of eggs ... usually, though, I fish the marabou styles with shrimptails when we can ... pink and cerise are my favs. The purple does well also under clean flows. I also fish the all black a lot (with a blackened head) for summer fish on the Zipperlip with very good success. The aeropuffs also fish very well, straight or with bait ... they do fish differently than a rag with the rear placement of the yarn ... fished the two side by side with similar colors and there are many days the aeropuff opens up a can of whoop-A$$ on the rags.

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#83944 - 12/21/99 09:26 PM Re: Aeroflies?
SBC Offline
Parr

Loc: Post Falls, Idaho 83858
Do any of you tie your own fly's? I've done very well on steelies drifting black wooly buggers with a pink or red corkie. It's much cheaper than the aeroflies. Use a toothpick to keep the corkie next to the woolly bugger. You can also slide the corkie over the eye of the hook.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
adipose finn, fishingchef
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 534 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13411
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63814 Topics
645822 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |