Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#397241 - 12/17/07 12:02 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Timber]
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
 Originally Posted By: Timber
With the weather we had that froze the ground and dumped snow then the temps jumped 20 degrees thawed everything and the ground that storm set us up for some desasters with clearcuts or not...

Are you suggesting this slide would have happened whether this land was clearcut or not?

Edited by Dave D (12/17/07 12:03 PM)

#397242 - 12/17/07 12:04 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Dave D]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
I surely could have! If you drive up hood canal you will see numerous slides like this but they were on ground with timber on it...The weather we had set us up for this...

#397246 - 12/17/07 12:13 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Salmo g.]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
 Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Not to minimize the severity of those slides, but it's probably fortunate that they're on a South Fork trib and not the mainstem Chehalis. There's not a lot of mainstem spawning downstream of the South Fork at least until Oakville. The river gradient is too flat, and a lot of sediment will settle out there - contributing to future flooding problems. The preponderance of Chehalis mainstem spawning is in the main fork upstream of Rainbow Falls and even Pe Ell. Of course, if Stillman Creek was a decent coho spawning and rearing trib, it ain't no more.

If that slope was going to be harvested, it should have been selective cut with no dragging allowed for yarding. But those kind of restrictions likely would have made it unprofitable to cut at all.

The immediately troubling part is the high load of fine sediments. Not that the Halis is a traditionally clear river, but the clay type sediments are not the same river bottom sands/silts that we normally deal with. The river is not it's normal brown color, it is the same color as the slide in the picture. The plunkers are getting really itchy, and those fine sediments tend to carry a lot farther down the river (correct me if I am wrong). If that slide produces that kind of silt level on every rain event, fishing the main stem could be an issue for years to come. I hope they can do some kind of mitigation on that thing, this spring.

That sticky mud is coating everything in the river bottom. We have been cutting brush to blind the boat, and that sticky sh!t just coats everything. Turns a yellow lab into a chocolate lab before he even gets to fetch the first bird.

#397249 - 12/17/07 12:19 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Rocket Red]
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
No Doubt Doc.....
Tier ZERO is on the way.

Peace
Fly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#397254 - 12/17/07 12:41 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: superfly]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
No Doubt Doc.....
Tier ZERO is on the way.

As in......almost no fish available, No harvest, no c-n-r, no season period?

Just want to understand the terminology. Sounds like Chehalis Sportfishing Advisory Group jargon.

#397266 - 12/17/07 01:01 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: superfly]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Anyone surprized the road (on the left) sluffed off? Also, a slope like this should have a buffer at least twice what is shown IMHO.

Perhaps a better phrase would be; " Weyerhaeuser, The fish killing company."

Hans Mak

#397313 - 12/17/07 02:50 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Timber]
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
 Originally Posted By: Timber
I surely could have! If you drive up hood canal you will see numerous slides like this but they were on ground with timber on it...The weather we had set us up for this...

Timber
Fair enough....
How much timber was on the lands with slides, just little pencil trees or was there some adequate ground cover to prevent the water from really starting to run?

Just trying to understand

#397330 - 12/17/07 03:38 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Dave D]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
theres some decent sized timber that slid down on the hood canal..I just think with as much moisture as we had the ground was totaly saturated...Then as the pic above shows logging that didnt help but who's to say there wouldnt have been a slide even if the timber was there? Look at the slide up in the left corner of the pic it looks like it took a bunch of timber down with it..

#397349 - 12/17/07 04:49 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Tillanook]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Seen it on the news the other night.Sad.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#397367 - 12/17/07 05:58 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Jaba'da butt Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kelso, wa.
Who wants to start Golfing! I can get us Tee times at Pebble Beach and Spanish Bay! For a mere $350.00 for 18 and no cart!

#397451 - 12/17/07 09:45 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Jaba'da butt]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Those slopes are greater than 100%. Any soil short of rock is unstable at that degree of slope. Soil like that is classified as unstable, highly unstable when disturbed. As long as it had forest cover, it was only unstable, and that probably allowed it to survive prior events. Highly unstable and more than 14" of rain, and the real miracle is that some of the hill didn't slide.

BTW, I was on the upper Chehalis today. The SF definitely has more red to it, although the mainstem is still like a mocha latte. A lot of small creeks that should have cleared by now are still very silty and turbid. Many houses totaled. I stopped by a friend's house; she got just over a foot of water inside. After she gets it dried out, new insulation, floors, and lower sheetrock and it will be livable again. The river left her about a 10 year supply of firewood in the yard and from zero to almost two feet of silt on the field and garden.

#397457 - 12/17/07 10:01 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Salmo g.]
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
I saw that and read the article and it is bad. Could it be that the State was quick to sign off to keep jobs in economically depressed Lewis County?

#397477 - 12/17/07 11:16 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Idaho Mike]
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
Timber is right, these slides could have occured with or without tree cover. The rain we had was unbelievable. Any steep slope was at risk to sliding with the right soil and drainage conditions. Clearcutting obviously increases the risk by increasing the intensity of the runoff. The roots are still there to hold the soil together, but the water is not slowed down by the tree cover so it flows over and through the ground at a faster rate.... Personally I'm sick of seeing the places I grew up fishing logged with what seems like little respect for anything.

#397488 - 12/18/07 12:25 AM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: Neal M]
Tillanook Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oregon
That unit looks like it was sprayed with a defoliant and it left the ground with zero vegitation. I'll bet it would have held up better had it not been sprayed. When it comes to handling rain fall its like a bare dirt lot vs. a healthy lawn. You know which won is going to have more erosion. I think the defoliant is a bad deal. The seedlings don't need bare ground in able to grow. Besides that the chemical of choice seems to be Garlon, a cousin to the defoliants used in Vietnam. The say it's harmless to fish, but its metabolites have been shown to cause coho to become disoriented, unable to protect themselves from predators or even find their way back to their native streams.

Edited by capt Keith (12/18/07 03:04 PM)

#397652 - 12/18/07 03:01 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: ]
Tillanook Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oregon
It's legal in the U.S. They tried to start using it up in Canada but the locals in the area where they were going to start using it freaked and the forestry people ended up not using it. I think they started using it very quietly here in the US. Google "Garlon" and you will find plenty of info on it.

Edited by capt Keith (12/18/07 03:04 PM)

#397677 - 12/18/07 04:42 PM Re: chehalis mud (resurrected) [Re: ]
Ihookum Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Rochester WA
I've often wondered the same thing about the fertilizer that Weyco applies. Few years back I was Elk hunting in the area of the photo and a helecopter flew over with fertilizer (I think?) spewing from the bucket. I was standing creekside and It felt like it was hailing. The product totaly covered the ground and did'nt even come close to missing the creek. What did that do to the water quality?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bassmaster, jensen2592, PaulS, ROBYNS, SHARPSHOOTER
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (20 Gage), 1075 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63816 Topics
645856 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |