Lots of good d-boat advice posts. I agree with what Paul (WW) said about sveral of the top boat brands - they are all very good now days. And I agree with looking at used boats because you save a lot of money on boats that are close to good as new if you look around (always seems to be lots for sale).

As for type, I would lean toward an aluminum boat for a beginner. While I agree with what S'ilton said about the better chine strength of modern fiberglass boats, they still are not near as durable as the metal boat chines (where the most punishment occurs). You will be chipping your glass chines and putting Marine-Tex super fiberglass repair putty on them often, if you run rapids much; and you will want to be running good rapids after you learn to row well - for both fish opps and fun.

Don't overlook the best of the wooden boats; if you can keep it garaged to avoid finish deterioration (it's a lot of work to re-finish them). The modern Don Hill and Keith Steele wood d-boats out of Oregon are the most beautiful aesthetic boats on the river. And the most quite over rocks, and also quieter when crackers keep dropping steel pliers on the floor, etc. rolleyes Metal boats also transfer anchor rope pully noise the worst - usually not wanted; especially in clear water conditions. The wood boats now have jetage super 'shoes' screwed on the bottom - 1/8" or 1/4" sheets of these tough protective compounds. And they can be cut and fit on the outside of the chines and lower 4" of the sides to protect from rock damage. But with all this they are just a bit heavier than the other boats.

If money was not a factor, I personally would get a brand new 17' Willie driftboat with all the goodies; including a good coat of graphite enhanced "Coat It" on the bottom and chines to better slip over rocks (too many guys overlook coating the chines, and that is where they hit and stick on rocks the most). With 3 guys aboard the 17' actually floats this heavy load a little shallower than the 16'. But it doesn't pivot quite as quickly; small diff though. But for tough tactical use I'd rather row a 16'X 54" Willie, double oar pivoting my way down thru the boulder gardens on such as the 'Duc, or upper 6th bridge down on the Nestucca we rowed thru yesterday (with Gary Tills 16x54 Willie). Good luck.

RT