The other thing to remember is that... when the deer leave the clearings and head to the trees (older growth - not reprod)... my advice is that you want to enter the trees away from clear cut and then walk toward the clearcut... understanding that the deer/bucks will bed down within the first 10-15 yards of the old growth and be looking towards the clearcut for danger... if you find oldgrowth with ferns and folage that is less than 2 feet high you should be in the money... and yes... a slight drizzle (rain falling from the trees) and slight breeze is a help... and then go slow... staying back in the trees and walking a parallel path to the edge of the clearcut... watching ahead of where you will walk...

Once when my buddy had spotted a 2x3 buck at the edge of a clearcut... I worked my way back into the trees to maybe pick him off when my buddy made an approach from the clearcut... well I got into the trees (with ferns and food) and made it about 20 yards, keeping the location of the buck in the clearcut in sight... well all of a sudden I am busted buy a massive 4x4 (thick mass beams) laying in his bed and actually rubbing his antlers on the small sapling right next to his bed... well he jumped up before I could nock my arrow and he bolts up hill and in runs the buck from the clearcut and joins the bigger buck... and then they both stop and look back at me from about 100 yards away.... SO keep your eyes open and scanning near and far...

Edited by wabowhunter (10/18/08 01:44 PM)

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau

South King County - PSA
Save Our Fish - PSA
CCA Sea-Tac