My wife and I made a trip there last year, you know, one of those sunny, sunday olympic penninsula day drives...with fishing rods tactically placed unknowling in the trunk. Of course we get there and "oh honey look at all the fish schooling way out there on the surface, I think I happen to have left my rod in the trunk". Oh yeah, and my waders and yours, and my vest, and yours. You get the picture.

It was high noon, none of the folks on the shore were catching anything. Of course the fish were schooling way out from the shore and they were casting 10 ft infront of themselves. Tide was out bigtime too. So I made myself the worlds largest slinky or two, or three and placed them all on my line and launched a peice of chartreuse yarn about a mile out into the sound there at hoodsport. I was just messing around to try and get all the line twist off my reel. I let my reel free spool for a bit and then I noticed the slack in the line went tight. Usually when your stuff hits the bottom, you get more slack in the line and it lays down limp on the water. Well, I started to retrieve and next thing I know I got a chum on. Wooohooo! So after a 10 min battle I had my first hoodsport chum. A nice chromer about 15 pounds. So I proceeded to make my wife a few slinkys the same size and showed her how to get some more distance on her casts.

Funny think was, there were several bank fishermen by us and they were amazed I had actaully caught one at low tide, and in the middle of the day no doubt. One local guy said, no one catches them in the middle of the day unless your out there in a boat.

Well after about the 3rd fish we hooked...by my wife, people started wondering over to where we were at asking what we were using. I showed them and they couldn't believe it. One guy hollered "They are just snagging them, don't listen to them!!!" So meanwhile my wife is reeling in her legally hooked chum and these guys are watching. So we get it in and one guy hollered back " Nope, she's got this one legal". And next thing ya know people are making slinkys, and tacking on 3-4 oz bananna sinkers and chartruese yarn, then launching them a mile out.

Well as the tide came in and the sun headed down, the chums came in close to shore. After that it was a arm buster! I can't even remember how many fish we caught and released. It was a blast!

Anyway, have fun, let me know if they are there yet.