Day 8....

Fresh meat run for the Doc. I don't start keeping my personal eater fish til the day or two before departure, so with this being the last day, I was on a mission to put 12 sockeye in the box to fly home fresh UNFROZEN. Noel and Wayne were out for the morning shift, so I recruited my oldest brother Alex and Tanner to help me get the job done.

My brother Alex almost despises king fishing because he's a sockeye-flossin'-crack-addict. Just can't stand the wait between bonafide bites. I told him we'd go flossin', but he'd have to indulge baby brother with a couple of passes for kings in the upper holes before I parked the Predator on a red bar. He obliged, but after two empty passes apiece thru Stewarts, Fall In, and Honeymoon, it was my turn to fulfill my end of the bargain.

Pulled ashore on the Honeymoon Bar for an hour and a half and couldn't floss up a single sockeye. In the meantime I saw 6 kings plucked from Honeymoon and it was absolutely killing me! I stuck a plug rod out the back of the boat out of desperation. A half hour later, no bite and still no sockeye. This BLOWS! OK guys, let's go. As Tanner picks up my plug rod to reel in the K16X Purple Peril, a suicidal sockeye grabbed it on the retrieve. ONE DOWN... eleven to go!

I motored down to the Eagle Rock Bar where things looked deceivingly quiet. We were the only ones there, and not a single roller/jumper was to be seen.... that is, until one was jumping on the end of Tanner's line on his first cast!

Then another.... and another.... and another!

We all played down and dirty.... rod tips low and methodically walking these trainable torpedoes up the shallow beach to efficiently rack up the creel count. Eleven more unfortunate sockeye lay comatose and bloody on the gravel within a few minutes.

Meat mode instincts fully satisfied, now it was time for some fun and action shots. Raise them rod tips boys and let's see some topwater action! Doubles and triples were the order of the day as each of us hooked a tide-fresh sockeye about every third cast. Obviously no pics of the triples, but Alex and I managed to snap a few doubles.

Attachments
07-23-11 Art landing red.jpg

07-23-11 Art lands red.jpg

07-23-11 Alex fighting red.jpg

07-23-11 FVE Art sockeye double.jpg

07-23-11 Alex Art sockeye double 1.jpg

07-23-11 Alex Art sockeye double 2.jpg

07-23-11 Alex red closeup 2.jpg

07-23-11 Art Alex lands red.jpg

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!