Stoney,
I like your glass half full approach to being active in exploring different fisheries and being open minded about targeting other species, but where do you draw the line and stop supporting WDFW until things improve?

As a trout fisherman, I've watched many streams being closed to what was once superb resident rainbow/cutt fisheries that also had anadromous species present. Very similar to the Stilly/Skagit issue. I'm not talking about catching smolts, but residents which occasionally reached 14-16." Fun on a 3wt! The issue is just now starting to effect the SRC crowd. The bottom line is WDFW doesn't give a [Bleeeeep!] about river trout fishing. Not realizing that if it's managed correctly along with anadromous species, could be every bit as good as the dry states. We just don't have the density and biomass to support quantity like say the Madison...

Brent is correct about follow the $.... Salmon fisheries and especially saltwater salmon fisheries garner the most attention. The small, remote, quality fishing experience gets shut down while opening day planter lakes, humpies, and quota based openers that generate circus atmospheres are promoted. All of us know how to buck the trend and find out of the way fishing, however it's getting harder to do with less opportunity.

It would be so much easier if they would just shut down all river fishing, aside from a few quota based openers that helped reduce hatchery salmon as needed and focus angling to lakes and saltwater. It's an easy sell to the general public and probably several conservation groups to leave the freshwater environment alone to protect spawners and water quality, and maintain pure genetics by not planting fish. Hell, alot of fisherman would drink that kool-aid!

After all......Washington is loaded with quality fishing if you think outside the Salmon and Steelhead box. lol