LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133598 - 01/05/02 01:41 AM drift boats Willies vs. Fishrite which is better?
O.Pen. drifter Offline
Egg

Loc: oly
I'm looking at buying a new drift boat. I've looked at and have rowed a Willies boat and it handled real nice. This last weekend I spoke to a guy down at the river who had a Fishrite boat. It was a really nice looking boat. The guy said that it rowed easier than his old Willies boat that he had previously. So my question is which is the best boat or is there another brand of boat I should look at before making my purchase?

#133599 - 01/05/02 02:48 AM Re: drift boats Willies vs. Fishrite which is better?
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA

#133600 - 01/05/02 04:00 AM Re: drift boats Willies vs. Fishrite which is better?
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Koffler makes a great driftboat, real light and easy to row. Plus they're pretty aggressively priced.
Keith laugh

#133601 - 01/05/02 09:58 AM Re: drift boats Willies vs. Fishrite which is better?
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
O.Pen,
What you need to do is go row a Willie then go row a Fish Rite. Then choose for yourself. If you can get the chance to row both brands of boats, Make sure you have some wieght in the boat. Move the weigt around until you find where the boat rows the best. Do this with both boats. Then you can make the choice.
In my opinion most of the Top aluminum boats row pretty much the same. Te only difference I can see between Willie and Fish Rite is, A Fish Rite will trck a little straiter when pulling plugs do to less rocker in the Bottom. A Willie Handles faster then a Fish Rite because it has a full rocker bottom. And I an Alumaweld Rows just like a Fish Rite. I own a Willie and I have friends that own Fish Rites and Alumawelds, So I have been able to row all 3 brands.
If you want a decent boat and save yourself some money, Check out Diamond Back boats.A good friend of mine bought one not too long ago, I like it.

#133602 - 01/05/02 12:54 PM Re: drift boats Willies vs. Fishrite which is better?
plug puller Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: At FL410
The old woldridges are the best. laugh Ok, that is just the boat that this poor college guy got. Look in to a wild hair my buddy's uncle has one and it is a great boat and very good looking. I haven't rowed it so I don't know how it handles. Good luck on choosing one after all of the different suggestions that people on the board have given you. laugh wink

#133603 - 01/05/02 04:21 PM Re: drift boats Willies vs. Fishrite which is better?
Diana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I have a Koffler.
I met Willie when his Willie Boat was still in his mind. It was during the interim of his Alumaweld to Willieboat thing.
He designed the Willieboat as a plugging boat. It has a low bow so you can see where your plugs are. It flares out enough to knock down white water so it doesn't fill your fishing buddies boots when you go through the rapids. He has primarily designed it with Oregon rivers in mind, and it's supposed to be highly manueverable.
All I know is what his intentions were at that time.
I've never rowed a Fishrite. But Willie has been building boats a whole lot longer than Fishrite has been. The first time I ever heard of Fishrite was at the 1982 Sportsman's Expo. Willie was building boats for what? 15-20 years by then?
diana

#133604 - 01/05/02 06:18 PM Re: drift boats Willies vs. Fishrite which is better?
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
OP Drifter, I have a Diamondback that I bought because the price was right. I've rowed fish rites before, and I can not tell the difference between the two. If you would like to give mine a try before you buy, shoot me an e-mail and we'll see if we can hook up laugh . It would really hurt my feelings getting off of the oars and fishing for a bit!!
Mike

#133605 - 01/06/02 02:04 PM Re: drift boats Willies vs. Fishrite which is better?
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Love my willieboat.

#133606 - 01/06/02 04:03 PM Re: drift boats Willies vs. Fishrite which is better?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
Comparing Willie to anything els is like comparing Eagleclaw rods to a GLoomis. Willie biulds their boats to last. the grade of metal they use to their pat. gunal. you will not go wrong with them. I have one of their 17' drift boats and the only thing I would trade it for would be one of their Predators.

dc laugh

#133607 - 01/06/02 07:44 PM Re: drift boats Willies vs. Fishrite which is better?
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
I mst have been really tired when I typed my reply. the spelling is all messed up.
O. Pen.
2 boats not to even think about buying are RB and Hyde. Just look at them and you will see why.can you say Junk?
North River now builds drift boats. Go check out one of those......

#133608 - 01/07/02 12:20 AM Re: drift boats Willies vs. Fishrite which is better?
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Oly Pen, Your question is like asking someone which to buy Chevy or Ford. Analyze what you really expect to do with your boat and how you plan to fish out of it. Rowing a couple different models will help, but remember a boat might row differently unless it is set up to fit you. Most of the well known names provide a quality boat. I would also look hard at your rowing system,i.e, high quality oars, oar lock system adjusted to your height and reach etc. Good luck on your purchase.

#133609 - 01/07/02 02:34 PM Re: drift boats Willies vs. Fishrite which is better?
Kyle_A Offline
Spawner

Buy my Willie. They're Bulletproof. This boat has seen it all and you can't hurt it. See ad on this site. I'll have photos in a couple days.

#133610 - 01/07/02 04:16 PM Re: drift boats Willies vs. Fishrite which is better?
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
I have a 1992 16' Alumaweld, talk about built to last! This thing is an absolute tank! I think the boat is incredibly well built but very, very tiring to row, or maybe I'm just getting old. I have never rowed a Willie but after putting a thousand hours in my Alumaweld would definitely look at weight as a final consideration! Have fun!

RM

#133611 - 01/07/02 06:10 PM Re: drift boats Willies vs. Fishrite which is better?
FISHNBRAD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton,WA
rowed alot, liked few, own a willie just my .02

#133612 - 01/07/02 07:27 PM Re: drift boats Willies vs. Fishrite which is better?
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
Sold my 16 foot Fishrite last year and bought a new Willie's. Not only is it a nicer boat but the resale is really good on the Willie's if you ever need to sell it.

#133613 - 01/08/02 01:31 AM Re: drift boats Willies vs. Fishrite which is better?
BILGERAT Offline
Parr

Loc: TROUTDALE OREGON
When I mentioned that I was considering buying a Wille Boat several of my clients said they would then be using another guide.These are guys who have fished with me for nearly 25 years.They claim the extent of the rocker in the Willie makes them uncomfortable for the passengers.They did not like having their legs in their chests.I have a Fish-Rite and an old Clackacraft.
Who you going to please ? Driver or Passengers ?

#133614 - 01/08/02 02:00 AM Re: drift boats Willies vs. Fishrite which is better?
O.Pen. drifter Offline
Egg

Loc: oly
I appreciate everyones input on my question above. I've found several other brands of boats on the net here and they all look pretty nice on the comp. screen, so I'm hoping to make it down to Portland to the boat show this weekend.

P.S. has anyone heard of or seen a boat called River Wolf?

#133615 - 01/08/02 02:19 AM Re: drift boats Willies vs. Fishrite which is better?
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
Both are nice boats! Heck, driftboats are a tool, the guys that know how to use the tools have all the fun!

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#133616 - 01/08/02 10:49 AM Re: drift boats Willies vs. Fishrite which is better?
Grass Hopper Offline
Smolt

Loc: Woodinville,Wa
Remember to check out Diamond Back. Lifetime hull warrenty and the best price in the business. Pay the welder not the marketing dept. he is a one man show in bus over 15 years. You can see them @DOUGSBOATS.COM

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
fishmaster, kayak dan
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 435 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13397
eyeFISH 12607
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63790 Topics
645517 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |