Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158202 - 08/25/02 11:50 AM Egg brine
steelheadslayer Offline
Parr

Loc: Longview, WA
My question on the brine recipe in the tips column is twofold. First, do you use distilled water or will tap water work? Second, won't the wet mix milk the eggs out? Just curious as how alot of people on some other boards thought a dry mix was the way to go.

#158203 - 08/25/02 02:20 PM Re: Egg brine
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
"Slayer", Couple of months ago I bought 10 lbs of springer eggs from (fresh) from Ammermann. I tried an experiment. Did 1/3 of eggs Pro Cure method, 1/3 'Bobs' recipe (very similar to PC, and 1/3 using Sure Cure, which is a dry prep. These were really nice eggs so I started with quality. It was no contest, the Sure Cure eggs turned out really really nice... I've tried Bob's method before and haven't had good results. They were turning hard in the drying process, had to rescue them with extra egg syrup I had on hand ...ditto PC. and seal in jars.
Iv'e bought Ammermann eggs before, he has a cure on market now, they are highly thought of, but I thought kind of soupy,,,don't know if his is dry or wet brine, I suspect dry and they juice up.

You certainly live in the right part of our state to be a true Steelheadslayer......Good luck. smile

#158204 - 08/25/02 08:11 PM Re: Egg brine
lamiboy Offline
Alevin

Loc: Poulsbo, WA
Slayer i have a very basic way of curing my eggs. First i will rinse them off and pat them dry with paper towell. Next i put them in a container sprinkle pro-cure on them and rub it into every layer on the skiens. Put them in the fridge for 2 hours then turn over and make sure thet are getting soked eavenly, then put them back in the fridge for another hour. Take hem out and rinse them off, then place on a piece of screening and let them drip dry until they are the way you like them. It takes mine about 8 hours to get the a bit firm. But these produce fish!!

#158205 - 08/25/02 11:44 PM Re: Egg brine
dobberbown Offline
Fry

Loc: Oregon
SteelheadSlayer, if you want a high smell, high taste, high impact egg, a dry cure like Amermans is the way to go.

#158206 - 08/27/02 02:08 PM Re: Egg brine
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rochester, WA USA
If I had a dime for every time I said this, I'd be a millionaire by now.... "What the hell is wrong with plain old borax?" Why is everybody always trying to re-invent the wheel when it comes to egg cures? Sure, there's nothing wrong with the brines and the sulfite based cures, but borax is tried and true and is also just about idiot proof. Don't get me wrong, sulfite has it's place, I've seen sulfite cured eggs outfish borax eggs from time to time on silvers. That being said, It is my opinion that Steelhead will hang on and munch on borax cured eggs much better than on sulfite cured eggs. Anyhow, not wanting to start a big egg cure debate, but seriously, What the hell is wrong with borax?

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bassmaster, jensen2592, PaulS, ROBYNS, SHARPSHOOTER
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Salmo g., DrifterWA), 751 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63816 Topics
645850 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |