Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159161 - 09/07/02 01:51 AM hooking a fish
ladyjessica Offline
Eyed Egg

when drift fishing i know i have had more than a few fish on.sometimes i can feel the bite

sometimes i cant I need to learn how to feel the bite any hints. also when i have a fish on
i always lose them in the first few seconds how do i properly set the hook and are my hooks
to small i use a 4 or a 2 should i use a treble hook or a bigger hook.
please help i really want to catch one i see other people do it and i am getting flustered

#159162 - 09/07/02 01:57 AM Re: hooking a fish
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Everything you are saying sez to me that you have too much slack in your line. Try to use a little more weight, so that you are in a little closer contact with your hook. Not a lot, just try 1/2 inch more or a little less than that, from what you use now.

#159163 - 09/07/02 03:02 AM Re: hooking a fish
Hntr1 Offline
Fry

Loc: North
Good Question smile
Now if you think that there is a fish there---SET THE HOOK and then the next thing is SET THE HOOK again..even if its not a fish you will be glad that your settin the hook hard when it is a fish, accept with these silvers because they have softer mouths which mean a lighter hook set will do fine,
and as silver said maybe increase your led a litle bit or shorten your leader lenght so that its more direct tug from reel to hook...your hook size is plenty and the smaller the hook the less it weighs, thus making it snag less. Just make sure that they are as sharp as possible!!!
Also if you are really having troubles maybe try addin a bobber, they are a great way to learn how to detect bites or hits/strikes.

Now get out there and put the smack down on some fish~~~~!!!!

<*>< eek

#159164 - 09/07/02 10:25 AM Re: hooking a fish
jcw Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Chehalis, Wa, USA
If you are feeling the take then your leader length may be okay but experiment with it. A few inches either way may make the difference. But it sounds as if you are simply not getting the hook in the fish so;

1) Sharpen the hook until it sticks to your thumbnail with very little pressure. It'll also stick to, into, or even through your skin so be careful.

2) Set the hook....HARD....multiple times. This practice usually gets the fish to the surface or even out of it so be prepared. If you miss, the lead/lure may come clear of the water and toward your head. Either thing can obviously be starteling.

3) I admire your desire to learn but I think you need a mentor. Find a person who knows his/her beans and likes to share and teach. You will have someone to talk directly to about fishing. You will see this person read water, rig gear, and hopefully hook fish. There are many such people.

4) Finally, Don't give up. Never say die. You'll get the hang of it. Go fight win. Rah, rah ran. And all them other pep talk sayings.

#159165 - 09/07/02 12:27 PM Re: hooking a fish
Cpt. Mike Offline
Alevin

Loc: Vaughn,WA.
Lady Jessica,

You might try to use a sliding lead. It will help you feel the fish a little faster.

Cpt. Mike

#159166 - 09/07/02 01:33 PM Re: hooking a fish
stilly bum Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SnoCo
Use slinkies. The strike of a fish is easier to differentiate from a slinky than plain lead. Use the slinkies on a snap swivel so they slide on your mainline.
When your slinky first hits the bottom after your cast, pop your rod tip back a bit. This will get the slinky at the very end of your mainline against your swivel, and will reduce the belly in your line.
Drift your gear in an arc that starts straight out in front of you and works its way to the bank instead of trying to cast up stream and run your gear in a straight line with the current.

#159167 - 09/07/02 03:46 PM Re: hooking a fish
Woodsy Wayne Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: everett
You might try a "cowlitz" setup with two hooks and a cheater/corkie between.
If the rules allow!

It helps alot!! and sometimes having the extra hook, helps the reaction time, and gives a little extra chance to get one of the hooks set.

It is pretty simple to make up, I know how to do it, but not good a t explaining, maybe one of the folks that ties alot!! of these could help with rigging one up.

I don't know if you are using yarn, but that can sometimes help too!!

Good Luck!!
Hope ya nail a Chromer!!

Woodsy Wayne

#159168 - 09/07/02 05:35 PM Re: hooking a fish
BASSER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Tacoma Wa,
If it feels funny or not normal set the hook.
You don't have anything to loose. If it is a fish he will be hooked. If it's not a fish, you will look funny and feel stupid, but not as funny or stupid as if you missed the a fish of a life time.

#159169 - 09/07/02 07:23 PM Re: hooking a fish
NANOOK Offline
Egg

Loc: Fairbanks Alaska
L J, You may want to try using SMALLER hooks. A smaller hook is easier to set that a large hook.I have been fishing kings since I was 8 years old,so I have a little experience behind me.I regularly land kings to 50lbs.on sz.2/0 hooks,the only time I will go to a larger hook is in very strong water[up to a 5/0]Also buy and use a good hook file.NEVER fish a new hook without sharpening it first,and often.also after about 3 or 4 sharpenings cut it off and tie on a new hook as the old one will be cut back to where it is too thick to sink in good.hope this helps.C-YA NOOK

#159170 - 09/07/02 09:44 PM Re: hooking a fish
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
LJ...are you really RT returning in drag?
laugh laugh

#159171 - 09/08/02 01:19 AM Re: hooking a fish
Capt. Steelhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Orchard,WA
Hey Lady, Couldn't resist. try to understand whats happening, when you cast out your lead sinks your corky or whatever goes downstream faster than the lead cause it's lighter. by now you shouldv'e reeled in your slack caused by the current against all the line surface area that you threw out with your cast. your weight is bouncing along, your rod being sensitive transfers this touching on the bottom as little hesitations in the drift based on the flow and type of bottom it is. Try to feel the rhythum of the drift, steelhead can pick up your offering and swim towards you slack your drift always set on that. Fish can descend with your drift chewing your eggs the whole way this can be difficult to feel but it can feel like several little taps or just your rod moving a little bit like you hooked a rubberband in fact you can try that at home. Sometimes you'll get a head shake thats like a big throb feel the fish has tasted your hook what kind of action is your rod? I'm not claiming I know everything I'm just trying to help this could go on for days I would be happy to speak to you on the phone if youl'd like laugh

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bassmaster, jensen2592, PaulS, ROBYNS, SHARPSHOOTER
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (SpoonFed, 20 Gage, DrifterWA), 766 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63816 Topics
645850 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |