Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159448 - 09/10/02 01:58 AM Clay Banks
mtlhead Offline
Smolt

Loc: Skagit Co.
I grew up fishing the Clay Banks at Pt. Defiance, and today I realize that I was really blessed to be able to take part in that fishery as a child. I'm just wondering if anyone still fishes from the beach there? We would ride the bus from Parkland to the Point,walk the mile or so down around the corner to the lighthouse and literaly fill garbage bags with silvers almost every day, all summer long. There were even occasionally a few slabs that came from the beach, the biggest to my memory was a 28lb. king that a guy caught on a spinning set-up with 10lb main line. It took him about 45 min. to land the fish, but during the time he was fighting the fish the beach was on fire. Everyone was hooking and landing fish the entire time. I have always thought about returning to my old stomping grounds and seeing if I still "got it nailed" the way I used to. That is where I got the Disease of "fishing" and set the ground work to become the Fisherman that I am today. Can someome out there let me know if this is still a viable fishery, and if anyone would be interested in hitting "The Banks" some time, drop me a line at res173r8@verizon.net
Bryan
cool

#159449 - 09/10/02 09:53 AM Re: Clay Banks
RRR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: (Tacoma native),San Diego WA, ...
I too became infected w/the fishin virus at good ol Pt Dee. When I started fishin it there was a small group of retirees that fished it on most mornings that had a good tide . The first time I fished there I caught a 15 lb king and absolutely FREAKED out. All the ol timers were laughin at me as I SCREAMED for a net. They told me to just walk backwards up the beach and lo and behold it worked. For many years I would religously check the tides and walk down to the lighthouse arriving just at or slightly before first lite. It is such a beautiful place to fish at dawn when you have the place to yourself. There is a trail that you can park at on five mile drive that cuts a third to one-half of the walk off. I had to quit fishin there as it just got too damn crowded. I began to fish under the Narrows Bridge and that worked out pretty well, especially back when you could drve down to the sewage treatment plant. Alas that fishery never yielded any kings, only an occasional blackmouth, and eventually became too crowded. So, I started fishin @ Pt Evans, never got too crowded there but I never had as good of luck as at the other two spots. I did have my best luck catchin Kings @ the old concrete dock on fox island which eventually was closed for safety reasons and, I understand, has been repaired (rebuilt?) and is once again a fishin pier?

As far as I know, the Pt will always be a viable fishery, but I never experienced fishin as hot as you describe. Also you might be dissappointed in the crowds. I'd love to "hit the Banks" with a fellow Pt D afficionado but unfortunately I won't be able to get back up that way this year. I have found that FT Casey on Whidbey Island to be very similar to what Pt D was in my Salad days. Bush and Lagoon Pts are good also. Take care and tight lines

Sincerely,
Roger

ps Lemme know how ya do if ya make back to the PT

VERY Homesick in San Diego

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bassmaster, jensen2592, PaulS, ROBYNS, SHARPSHOOTER
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 920 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63816 Topics
645850 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |