LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162755 - 10/20/02 02:36 PM Blackmouth Time Part II (PIC)
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
Hey Gang,

Another successful day at Green Pt. Nailed this
fish at 147' on the Sonic Edge Glo Green Splatter 42" behind a Glo Hotspot flasher. She measured 28.75" x 16" Puts her at 11.3 pounds.
Having some folks over for crab, shrimp and this baby for dinner tonight... Gonna taste mighty good with a few brewskis...

This will probably be my last time to get out until December. Heading south for a few weeks. I'll get on the board when I can.

Downriggin'

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#162756 - 10/20/02 06:41 PM Re: Blackmouth Time Part II (PIC)
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Have you been getting your blackmouth on or near the tide change?

#162757 - 10/20/02 08:19 PM Re: Blackmouth Time Part II (PIC)
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Got this hen three hours (9am) after the change...(6am) I am keeping out of the the main stem of the current... Had a nice fish on at 210' right after this one...

Area 13...two fish limit!!!!

Downriggin'

#162758 - 10/20/02 10:36 PM Re: Blackmouth Time Part II (PIC)
Sullie Offline
Spawner

what are the fish hitting on?

#162759 - 10/20/02 11:18 PM Re: Blackmouth Time Part II (PIC)
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Been nailing them on "Double Glo" Sonic Edge Spoons... Army Truck or Glo Green Splatter Back.

Downriggin'

#162760 - 10/20/02 11:25 PM Re: Blackmouth Time Part II (PIC)
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Is it safe to say you can catch blackmouth all day long? Unlike migrating kings that seem to feed only on the tide changes. Just curious, I have not done much blackmouth fishing.

#162761 - 10/20/02 11:58 PM Re: Blackmouth Time Part II (PIC)
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Easy,

Don't let anyone pull your chain on the "first light" or "tide change" routine with Blackmouth.
Those two times are just optimal times. Might have been a different story if we had clear skies with the 98% moon this morning.

Gotta keep that bait on the bottom to within 10' unless the Candlefish are there- 5 feet then. I lower the ball until its hits and crank 'er up 1-2 feet... This generally keeps my ball at roughly 3' and the bait at 6'-10' depending on how fast I am trolling. Watch the f/finder when the ball hits, stay two feet either side of that depth... This takes a little practice to get the "feel" of where your ball is at.... So try and lower the ball at a slow speed until you get the bounce. Lastly, on the big tide swings (greater than plus/minus 6') , gotta get out in that deeper water out of the current. Don't be afraid of fishing 150'-250' deep. Herring do not tolerate big tide swings... You'll be suprise how many fish you'll catch greater than 200'.

The above is "text book" however, last season, I caught a lot suspended 50'-90' (go figure) in the deeper water... These will be your "first light" fish. Just when you think you have it figured out huh?

Downriggin'

#162762 - 10/21/02 12:43 AM Re: Blackmouth Time Part II (PIC)
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks DR! cool

#162763 - 10/21/02 07:59 PM Re: Blackmouth Time Part II (PIC)
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Good information Downriggin'.

I've wondered how best to keep the downrigger ball close to the bottom without snagging. Based on your post it sounds like it takes some practice. Do you snag bottom very often? If/when you do snag bottom how do you manage to pull loose? Any general tips that you might have for using this technique that you have not mentioned? Thanks in advance for your help.
James

#162764 - 10/21/02 08:33 PM Re: Blackmouth Time Part II (PIC)
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

I do not snag the bottom very often, but when I do, I immediately spin the boat (if I am by myself) to the side of the downrigger I am using and run a course 180 degress back over the spot. 9 times out of 10 this frees the ball.
Not to mention, I had the plastic clip break more times than I have had to cut the wire. I never try and pull it free. That's too much stress on the boat. If I have two riggers in, I just throw the boat in reverse. I would rather have the fishing line wrapped on the wires than the wire(s) caught in the prop any day.

The Scotty's have a clutch system which allows for the line to pay out if you snag. This is a great feature... especially when I am not paying any attention....

Some folks swear by the heavy green snubber.
I personally do not like because the clips are inadequate and a pain. Plus I like the "feel" of a straight wire/ball connection.

The only time you can really worry about snagging the bottom is when you are fishing into ledges or fast dropping/ascending depressions on the bottom. However, you never know what's down there!

Lastly, avoid fishing fast and strong currents while downrigging... This could spell BIG TROBLE if you snag up. If fishing in strong currents is unavoidable, make sure you have the wire cutters sharp and handy- don't delay!

Downriggin'

#162765 - 10/21/02 08:52 PM Re: Blackmouth Time Part II (PIC)
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Thanks Downriggin'.

James

#162766 - 10/22/02 03:38 PM Re: Blackmouth Time Part II (PIC)
dangerous dave Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Orchard, WA
Downriggin...ITN ZBZ, Got the day off tomorrow so let's fish. This will definetely be our last time to bang some blackmouth till who knows when. Call me tonight and let me know the plan.
I bowl tonight so leave a message with Dangerous Dave JR if I'm not at home. Should be back btwn 2045 and 2115. Fish-On laugh

#162767 - 10/22/02 03:40 PM Re: Blackmouth Time Part II (PIC)
dangerous dave Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Orchard, WA
Downriggin...INT ZBZ, Got the day off tomorrow so let's fish. This will definetely be our last time to bang some blackmouth till who knows when. Call me tonight and let me know the plan.
I bowl tonight so leave a message with Dangerous Dave JR if I'm not at home. Should be back btwn 2045 and 2115. Fish-On laugh

#162768 - 10/22/02 04:52 PM Re: Blackmouth Time Part II (PIC)
umrules Offline
Spawner

Loc: wa., usa
Hey DD & DR,
It must be nice! This place I'm at sucks, we hardly ever get time to fish! You two don't know how good you have it!!

Good luck tomorrow!!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bassmaster, jensen2592, PaulS, ROBYNS, SHARPSHOOTER
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (SpoonFed, 20 Gage, DrifterWA), 766 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63816 Topics
645850 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |