Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164374 - 11/06/02 11:31 PM Flotilla idea
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
Attention all steelhead fishermen and fisherwomen,
I am considering putting together another one of our (in)famous Flotillas, number it as you will. It will be a drive for almost all of us, except for our most southern members; the Smith River in Northern California. There are a few rules here, which many of you will not like: rule number one, NO motors on the river. That obviously means no sleds, and no kickers on the drift boats. If I recall correctly, that includes electric motors. However, there is TONS of bank access. The river flows through a national forest; no dam(n)s, no nets. The fishery has been somewhat depleted since I started fishing there; the limit is one steelhead per day. The catch 22; they are almost all nates. There are a few stray hatchery fish that need a wood shampoo. I would ask that we CNR all the nates. (see stlhdh20's topic on ethics). Obviously since it is legal to bonk one hatchery fish, I cannot dictate what you do. I will say that when I first started fishing there in the mid 80's, it was legal to kill 3 fish per day. Now it is one. I think that is enough said about the resource. Don't blame it on the Indians, it is high seas fishing that put the hurt on this fishery. This is absolutely beautiful country, and I will share info to all good bank fishing areas that I know. There is an excellent campground, Jed Smith State Park for $14 per night. There are no hookups for trailers, and max length is 26 feet if I recall. There are heated latrines and showers, and there is a motel less than a mile from the campground. There is also a full hookup campground nearby; I will contact them for information if any one would like. This will be over Martin Luther King weekend in January (about the 20th). Other regs include barbless hooks and size one max hooks (5/8 inch gap between point and shank). The regulations I have stated are from last year, I'll need to confirm them. This is where I grew up on steelie fishing, so it holds a special place in my heart; but I have met so many of you that feel the same way about these awesome fish, I'm willing to share it with you as you have done with me. With all of that said, shall we call this Flotilla 7.0 on the Smith?
We will need lots of you with drift boats for this one. If you are not experienced on the oars, I'm sorry but this one is not for you. It's not the Duc, but it ain't the Cow either.

No Gooose, I'm NOT bringing another keg. It didn't turn out so well last time.

what

#164375 - 11/07/02 07:47 PM Re: Flotilla idea
Steve Ericsson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Wa
Wish I could come, but too far. I grew up not too far and the Jed Smith is one fantastic river. Stayed at Jed Smith State Park many times, right smack in the middle of the Redwoods. If you have never seen Redwoods, you must go. Also, for a nice thrill take a trip with the Smith River Mail Boats. For you jetsled pilots, this is a thrill second to none. Blasting up intense white water rapids at 40 to 50mph just feet from the rocks and cliffs is simply awesome! If only I could spare the time, that is one I would love to attend. Sounds like fun.....

Steve

#164376 - 11/08/02 08:20 AM Re: Flotilla idea
RRR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: (Tacoma native),San Diego WA, ...
Sounds good. I might be able to make it since it's a lil bit closer to my current place of confinement.

Man! I'll tell ya, I'm havin the worst case of fishin withdrawls that I can remember in a long time (AND my sentence got extended another YEAR)!! I know, htere's plenty of fishin around here but, ya know, it's just not the same as a NW river, the Straights or Puget Sound. Hope you kin put it together I'd love to meet some of the wonderful people who are helpful with information and advice and thank them personally. Hell, I'd enjoy putting faces to some of the more moronic A-holes too (I probably have met more than a few of 'em alkready).

Sincerely,
Roger

VERY Homesick in San Diego

#164377 - 11/12/02 12:14 PM Re: Flotilla idea
Steve Ericsson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Wa
Come to think the Mailboats are on the Rogue, but still worth a short drive about 10 miles or so! Still, wish I could attend.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bassmaster, jensen2592, PaulS, ROBYNS, SHARPSHOOTER
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Salmo g., DrifterWA), 751 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63816 Topics
645850 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |