LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#240208 - 04/11/04 09:05 PM Wonderful weather but...!
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
What an awesome weekend!
Am I really in western Washington in the Spring?

Unfortanely looks as if we and the fish will be paying the price for this wonderful weather come summer.

See:
http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/snow/snow.cgi

Point your cursor at a dot of interest and its name and data of interest will show up to the left of the map. Look closely at the per cent of average. If you click on the dot a graph of the year's readings compared to the average will again show up to the left of the map.

While I have heard some have been talking of good snow pack the data seems to indicate otherwise. While the early snow fall was decent the recent months have been poor with most site's totals peaking early and below average. The upper Columbia and Snake what good early snow falls but have also dropped of considerability in recent months.

The snow pack through out most of Washington is below average. In the North Cascades nearly every snotel site has readings of 65% or less of normal and falling fast. Just 2 weeks ago Rainy Pass (North Cascade Pass) was above 75% and now less than 65%. Looks to me that unless we have a really wet summer (and we all know that we can) the flow levels this summer/early fall may be as low or lower than last year.

Tight lines
S malma

#240209 - 04/11/04 09:10 PM Re: Wonderful weather but...!
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
Good Point. I was excited with our early snowfall but that excitement quickly waned as Febuary then March came and went. The past two months have been unseasonably warm and dry.

I heard a figure yesterday that we are losing about 1% of our snowpack a day.

#240210 - 04/11/04 09:14 PM Re: Wonderful weather but...!
Hairlipangler Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Edgewood
Quote:
Looks to me that unless we have a really wet summer (and we all know that we can) the flow levels this summer/early fall may be as low or lower than last year.

You've jinxed us for sure now..... ;\) I was talking with several oldtimers today, they were worried too.

#240211 - 04/12/04 09:34 PM Re: Wonderful weather but...!
Rockhopper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia
This will have pretty serious consequences for our glaciers. I thought the Hoh was low last summer, but if it gets lower this summer there could be some spots where the water just barely covers the rocks. Although not directly related to snowpack due to dams on the river, we could see a repeat of the Klamath River fish kill.

#240212 - 04/12/04 10:53 PM Re: Wonderful weather but...!
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is worrisome...

The Skagit has been running high and hard the last couple days, and from the Sauk down visibility is almost nil due to the snow melt water that's been added.

Drove out the Skagit to the Sauk, over Gov't Bridge and down to Darrington today. There were a couple guys with a drift boat at the Sauk Launch and they had passed on even putting the boat in...visibility was poor and you would need 3" corkies just to give the fish something to see...that or hit them in the head with your cast..:-(

Other than being able to wade out and collect some of the spoons I lost this year, I can see no good from this low snow pack and impending low water condition later this summer...

On a good note, I have seen large schools of small, 1 1/2" inch sized smolt in the river hanging out in rocky frog water...looks like a good crop of Coho (or Chum?) for a few years out.

Mike

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bassmaster, jensen2592, PaulS, ROBYNS, SHARPSHOOTER
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1045 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63816 Topics
645852 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |