Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#251162 - 08/05/04 06:26 PM PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
JJ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: redmond, WA
Here is a lete that PSA sent supporting the overturning of the moratorium. I guess all of us that are against a catch and kill fishery are elitist now.

JJ

PUGET SOUND ANGLERS STATE BOARD

To whom it may concern,

The organization of Puget Sound Anglers, currently representing 14 chapters throughout Western Washington, has held a position opposing ‘statewide non-retention of wild Steelhead’ for several years.

This type of regulation ties the hands of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, in effect not allowing the Department to manage the resource based on science and maximum benefit for the people of the state of Washington. Many rivers, having been under this type of regulation for a number of years, have shown little or no sign of recovery, calling into question the claim that this blanket regulation would help the recovery of wild Steelhead. Tribal harvesters may take advantage of ‘Forgone Opportunity,’ effectively neutralizing any possible saving of wild Steelhead. To deny citizens the opportunity to harvest a wild Steelhead, when harvestable numbers exist, is to cater to a minority, elitist view, not representative of the average sportfisher in Washington. What are our efforts to recover this wonderful icon of Northwest culture for, if not to allow us our traditional heritage of harvest. Are we to treat our natural environment as a museum (look but don’t touch), or should we be able to interact and enjoy what nature provides? It is our belief that science based management should prevail, not emotional idealism.

Clint Muns
State Board President
Puget Sound Anglers

#251163 - 08/05/04 06:38 PM Re: PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
cast and blast Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Frankly, as a PSA member, this is disappointing to see.

#251164 - 08/05/04 07:00 PM Re: PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
Easy E Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Washington
"Are we to treat our natural environment as a museum (look but don't touch), or should we be able to interact & enjoy what nature provides?"

I don't know about you but I don't have to kill a native fish to enjoy it. The enjoyment for me comes from pursuing and catching the fish, not bonking it and showing it off to the neighbors.

#251165 - 08/05/04 07:08 PM Re: PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Mental Note: Parker won't be joining, or donating to the PSA.

#251166 - 08/05/04 07:22 PM Re: PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
BennyBlack Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Yeah, what the hell.

Any PSA members know about this letter?

I thought PSA were out to protect the fish? Isn't that what the dues and donations fund?

#251167 - 08/05/04 07:28 PM Re: PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA , USA
Yes, Ybnormal sent me this letter a while ago. I too was disapointed in the letter, here is my response. I am sure to bring this up at our next meeting, as not many of the guys know that is the state boards stance.

"Thanks Ron (Ybmormal), this is sure to be a topic of discussion at our nest PSA meeting. It is just like politics and the upcoming elections, everyone has their own opinion and agenda.

Remember one of our mottos....I think it goes kind of like this, "Put fish first". I just think this is a step in the right direction, and of course if there are enough fish to be harvested state-wide, go for it.

I am sure that just making all the rivers C/R will not bring the runs back, just look at the nisqually, but then again catch and bonk will definitely not help anything either.

What we need are solutions, and that is what I personally am searching for. The moratorium sounds like the way to do it, short of stopping fishing altogether. That would be opening another can of worms for discussion. Closure, if necessary is something I would like to see for everyone, including the Native Americans.

Steve

Dad, think that if I practice hard, they'll let me participate in the SRC ?
[Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers....Join your local chapter. CCA member

#251168 - 08/05/04 07:32 PM Re: PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
SloMoFishDad Offline
Smolt

Loc: Everett, WA
It's hard to believe the majority of their membership agrees with that stance.

Release a wild fish.....it feels so good! \:\)

#251169 - 08/05/04 07:39 PM Re: PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
"This type of regulation ties the hands of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, in effect not allowing the Department to manage the resource based on science and maximum benefit for the people of the state of Washington. Many rivers, having been under this type of regulation for a number of years, have shown little or no sign of recovery, calling into question the claim that this blanket regulation would help the recovery of wild Steelhead. Tribal harvesters may take advantage of ‘Forgone Opportunity,’ effectively neutralizing any possible saving of wild Steelhead. To deny citizens the opportunity to harvest a wild Steelhead, when harvestable numbers exist, is to cater to a minority, elitist view, not representative of the average sportfisher in Washington. What are our efforts to recover this wonderful icon of Northwest culture for, if not to allow us our traditional heritage of harvest. Are we to treat our natural environment as a museum (look but don’t touch), or should we be able to interact and enjoy what nature provides? It is our belief that science based management should prevail, not emotional idealism."

How could anyone find reason to disagree with such a well thought out position?

I support them absolutely.

Keep up the good work PSA!

#251170 - 08/05/04 07:43 PM Re: PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Below is a portion n of a letter I am sending to PSA tonight:

As a recent PSA member I am deeply disappointed in both the content and tone of this letter.

It most assuredly does NOT represent my position.

I think that PSA should have remained quite on an issue that is this deeply divisive and where such a large minority of members disagree. If the board felt a letter had to be written they should have avoided the preaching tone and they should have honestly stated that a very large minority of the members do support the moratorium.

There is clear and compelling evidence, based on WDFW data, that wild steelhead are in steep decline throughout almost every part of our state, including three of the four major river systems in the area under discussion.

As of now I consider PSA to be on probation. Any further efforts to encourage killing wild steelhead will prompt my immediate resignation.

#251171 - 08/05/04 07:47 PM Re: PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue

I had considered joining this organization. Truly incredible. It amazes me to see a group like this close there eyes to the obvious declines.

When will they pull there heads out?
When the emergency closures start?
Never?

I'm an elitist now. Wait til my beer swilling buddies here that!

#251172 - 08/05/04 07:51 PM Re: PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
Here is omething to consider:

In the Green/Duwamish river system in the Puget Sound region the hatchery production of summer steelhead has introduced a small wild population where no native summer stock had existed and the juveniles of that introduced stock compete for the food and habitat resources with the native winter steelhead. It would be in the best interest of the native stocks to allow harvest of these non-native wild fish as a means of reducing that competition. The moratorium prevents that from happening.

#251173 - 08/05/04 07:55 PM Re: PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
Cigar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Shoreline, Wa.
SHOWING THEIR TRUE COLORS.
NO SURPRISE TO ME.

Cigar :rolleyes:

#251174 - 08/05/04 08:00 PM Re: PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Quote:
In the Green/Duwamish river system in the Puget Sound region the hatchery production of summer steelhead has introduced a small wild population where no native summer stock had existed and the juveniles of that introduced stock compete for the food and habitat resources with the native winter steelhead. It would be in the best interest of the native stocks to allow harvest of these non-native wild fish as a means of reducing that competition. The moratorium prevents that from happening.
Plunker, are these wild fish introduced into the system just hatchery fish that spawned in the river rather then returning to the hatchery. If so how would you tell the difference between them and the true nates?

Oh and PSA bites!!!

#251175 - 08/05/04 08:27 PM Re: PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Quote:
Originally posted by JJ:
It is our belief that science based management should prevail, not emotional idealism.
The science is clear. Wild steelhead are in significant decline. Even in river where our "scientists" have reduced escapement goals, we are still not reaching those goals. The Wild Steelhead Coalition has complied very compelling evidence based upon WDFW’s data that shoe three of the four rivers in the area affected by the moratorium are not reaching even the reduced escapement goals.

I fail to understand how any sportfishing organization can call for increased kill on rivers that are not meeting escapment!

It is not elitist to advocate reducing the kill on stocks that are not reaching escapement. The department should have done this years ago but lacked the guts to take the heat.

#251176 - 08/05/04 08:48 PM Re: PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
“We are the Puget Sound Anglers. We are dedicated to preserving quality fisheries. We believe in the de-commercialization of Steelhead. We believe that our salmon resources can be restored with sound biological management. We believe in the comradeship and wishes of fellow sport fishing anglers. We believe our grandchildren can have a higher quality fishery than any of us ever had .”

HMMMMM!

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#251177 - 08/05/04 08:54 PM Re: PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
BennyBlack Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
It sounds like it might be an election year for PSA too.

Can you say Impeach. \:\)

#251178 - 08/05/04 09:17 PM Re: PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
I had two links on our links page to different PSA chapters. I have removed them today ;\)

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#251179 - 08/05/04 09:41 PM Re: PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
SnowDog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell
Glad I did not join PSA this year. They do not represent my views, obviously!

Wonder why Grandpa has not replied yet?

SA

#251180 - 08/05/04 10:16 PM Re: PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD
Thanks, Bob

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#251181 - 08/05/04 10:28 PM Re: PSA Stance on the moratorium (sorry if repeat
ROCK Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Between 2 Mountains
I think the letter is just the way I feel.
"when harvestable numbers exist"and this
"It is our belief that science based management should prevail, not emotional idealism."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bassmaster, jensen2592, PaulS, ROBYNS, SHARPSHOOTER
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, Carcassman), 1158 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63816 Topics
645856 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |