THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 6 of 16 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#403404 - 01/09/08 03:34 PM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: hohbomb73]
thefishnfool Offline
Spawner

Loc: Mt. Vernon
I would love to attend the meeting but unfortunatly I work saturday's

Tim

#403411 - 01/09/08 03:55 PM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: thefishnfool]
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
The Sky has met escapement but they look at it as a system whole. Throw the Pilchuck in the numbers and the system as a whole doesn't make escapement even though the Sky does.

#403419 - 01/09/08 04:06 PM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: Dave D]
JJ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: redmond, WA
What? Where are your numbers coming from? I would love to see it.

The Bios say the pilchuck is the only reason that the snohomish system is doing as well as it is. The Pill has been the bright spot for steelhead escapement of the 3 rivers. Maybe the bio was blowing smoke up my butt. I know one year the Pill got close to 2/3 of the entire systems escapement from what they told me.

By law they have to treat it as one system. This sucks I agree but it is what they have to work with.

JJ

#403433 - 01/09/08 04:30 PM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: JJ]
blue_jay Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: LOL

Red areas indicate where fishing is good, blue indicates bad fishing.

;\)

#403436 - 01/09/08 04:34 PM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: blue_jay]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Red indicates areas where folks get excited about fishing for catfish, sunfish, and bass.

Blue indicates areas where folks like to fish for challenging fish, ones that don't fight and taste like turds.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#403437 - 01/09/08 04:35 PM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: Todd]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
"Blue indicates areas where folks like to fish for challenging fish, ones that don't fight and taste like turds."

Apparently, the exception to that is chums...some people in the blue areas do like to eat fish that taste like turds...but they're mainly red state dudes in blue areas.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#403444 - 01/09/08 04:46 PM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: CraigO]
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
 Originally Posted By: CraigO
 Originally Posted By: 4Salt
I think the Skagit / Sauk Spring season was closed the year that the Sky closed as well... leading to the formation of the WSC. It re-opened the next year and has been open 'til now.

4Salt I thik your right, it was right around that time and we have decent runs since then. I think its about time they open the Sky back up during March & April, I think it has met escapement the last copuple of years.

Yes ,
The PS closures were the original catalyst 7 years ago that brought about the formation of the WSC. While the WSC agreed the rivers should be closed in the name of conservation, what became questioned is the policies that brought us to that point...and have been working on ever since. What was interesting is when the Skagit/Sauk opened back up the following year we saw a lack of fire from the angling community even though the majority of the rivers were still closed, we were all happy to have something back (crumbs) and became complacent again. My hopes is that this issue will bring the fire back into the fold to inspire us to become more involved and help create change for the recovery of wild steelhead.

I hope many of you take your passion and plan to attend the Commission Hearing in February in Olympia send the message to the Commission we are loosing our runs of wild steelhead right before our eyes, on their watch, and their decisions need to send a message to WDFW that they are accountable andto brush away politics to develop the best conservation management plan for steelhead recovery.

PS: You can follow this link to some of the escapement charts for PS and other streams http://www.wildsteelheadcoalition.org/Repository/main.htm

Edited by Double Haul (01/09/08 04:49 PM)

#403486 - 01/09/08 06:18 PM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: superfly]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: superfly
I am in with Sol, going to buy a board.........
Also going to start planning more Florida trips where this is no netting of any kind.

Peace
Fly

Thats great. Half the people dont want to give Florida any credit and the other have want to move there for the great fishing.

#403489 - 01/09/08 06:23 PM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: Thrasher]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Thrasher
If the fish are on the ESA then we don't need to fish them anyway. They are at least trying to get them off the ESA. They just need to close it now if they are going to close it and get the nets out now, not later.

Adding hatchery stock numbers to wild stock numbers dont change reality, only the nature of the lie. Who is they? what magical politician is going to get rid of gillnets? Thats like asking Novus to go out and sweep the roads.

#403492 - 01/09/08 06:28 PM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: CraigO]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: 4Salt
I think the Skagit / Sauk Spring season was closed the year that the Sky closed as well... leading to the formation of the WSC. It re-opened the next year and has been open 'til now.

4Salt I thik your right, it was right around that time and we have decent runs since then. I think its about time they open the Sky back up during March & April, I think it has met escapement the last copuple of years.

Or we could raise the escapement level 2% each year.

#403553 - 01/09/08 08:25 PM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: Bob]
FishDoctor Offline
Spawner

Anyone that wants to take out their frustrations on this subject, I have a bunch of Canary Reed grass and Blackberries (in prime stellhead habitat) that I could use some help beating up this spring. check me out, make a difference, time is running out.

http://www.northshoretu.org

#403580 - 01/09/08 10:37 PM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: Fast and Furious]
Thrasher Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bellingham
 Originally Posted By: Lead Bouncer
 Originally Posted By: Thrasher
If the fish are on the ESA then we don't need to fish them anyway. They are at least trying to get them off the ESA. They just need to close it now if they are going to close it and get the nets out now, not later.

Adding hatchery stock numbers to wild stock numbers dont change reality, only the nature of the lie. Who is they? what magical politician is going to get rid of gillnets? Thats like asking Novus to go out and sweep the roads.

There are wild fish in the river right now, so close it now if they are so concerned about it.

#403634 - 01/10/08 01:27 AM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: Thrasher]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Im not sure of this, but if they did that, wouldnt forgone opportunity kick in? I dont think the state cares if we fish or not, as long as we spend our money.

Im sure we are on the same side of the issue. But I havent seen any evidence to suggest that closing the river to anglers is the answer. The state will tell us, that increasing bycatch of native steel from 2-6% wont make the resource go extinct, but special regulations arent enough to sustain the run.

I never read about cut backs to the commercial harvest in the middle of the season.

#403662 - 01/10/08 08:36 AM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: Salmo g.]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
 Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Are any of you who are excited about attending a protest in Olympia interested in going to the WDFW Commission meeting in Vancouver this Saturday? So far it's looking like only two from here are planning to attend.

Sg

I think that I'll be going.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#403673 - 01/10/08 09:52 AM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: Jerry Garcia]
CraigO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lake Stevens
Its done, an article in the Everett Herald today said the Sauk & Skagit will be closed during the normal catch & release season. This really sucks, although it mentioned that it may be only a one year deal.

#403690 - 01/10/08 11:16 AM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: CraigO]
SKYSTEELHEAD Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Sure is sad and it sure sucks! \:\(

#403692 - 01/10/08 11:19 AM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: CraigO]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Its done, an article in the Everett Herald today said the Sauk & Skagit will be closed during the normal catch & release season. This really sucks, although it mentioned that it may be only a one year deal.

I think they told us the closure on the Sky was only until things improved. Of course, if you don't address the reasons to the decline things will never improve. Bottom line is we now have almost nowhere to fish in the prime big native season, and the few places we can fish will be overcrowded. This sucks azz.

#403693 - 01/10/08 11:23 AM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: Dave Vedder]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
This is really upsetting. I was just scheduling vacation days for this spring
Spring fishing for nates has become one of my favorite fisheries of the year. Guess I'll just have to put all those dreams on hold for now.

#403696 - 01/10/08 11:29 AM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
bobberdog Offline
Parr

Loc: Snohomish Co
I agree with most of you it's not just this closure, but whenever something bad happens we ALWAYS get the short end of the stick. Someone with the ability hopefully can set something up to make ourselves heard. This post just took me forever to type than retype all the screwups, but i'll be glad to help and or participate.

#403774 - 01/10/08 02:56 PM Re: Rumor Mill - Skagit and Sauk closure impending [Re: bobberdog]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
Thats right Tworod.
So if a stock declines, Sporty's lose the resource and Tribes get a higher percentage of the fish.
I have been fishing, Seen Netters come down clean out a hole and leave in less than an a hour. Where do they go? To report there catch right?

Is the fact that Sportys are forced out, and they get a higher percentage, an incentive not to overfish?

Is there something wrong with this picture???

Page 6 of 16 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
FrankR, fsraffa, hartwell
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 343 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13411
eyeFISH 12612
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63807 Topics
645760 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |