THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#503632 - 04/20/09 12:51 PM Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not?
wabowhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Burien, Wa

If I happened to find a supply of “Non-Ultra” Lemon Joy… and it was 99 cents… should I buy a bunch?

Just curious…

Shawn

Attachments
Joy (small).JPG

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau

South King County - PSA
Save Our Fish - PSA
CCA Sea-Tac

#503640 - 04/20/09 01:05 PM Re: Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not? [Re: wabowhunter]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Why?

Do you have or like to wash a lot of dishes?

rofl

Them Oregon Boys and their *need* for Lemon Joy soap. rofl I see that you have just started a new panic over on ifish. I wonder how many PM's you will get over on that board? rofl

Uh sure. If you *think* it helps you catch more fish, than go for it. Not like it's gonna hurt anything. Besides, you'll end up with really clean rods, reels, plugs, anchor lines, boats....

rofl

Speaking of odd-ball things fishermen do to mask their scent while out piscatorial pursuing, did any of you see that Fishing The West show where the host goes out fishing with the young gal out in the Sound? First thing she does is break out the tube of mint flavored Crest and proceeds to put a big goop in her hands, rubs it all over, and rinses it off in the water. She states to Larry that this is what she uses to mask her scent from those ever keen smelling salmonids.

My Dad saw this and ever since, he *has* to either put tooth paste on his hands before fishing, or more of late since he forgets the toothpast, is to rub some river sand on his hands to mask his scent.

Every time. I just look at my Old Man and roll my eyes, as every offspring should do to their parents. I now know this as my six and four year old do it to me. My kids flat out think their Old Man is way off his rocker kinda looney.

Fun stuff.

Lemon Joy, toothpaste, river sand, and just good old fashioned latex gloves? Anyone got any other good sources of scent maskers you'd care to share?

rofl

#503650 - 04/20/09 01:34 PM Re: Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not? [Re: ]
cowlitzkiller Offline
Spawner

Loc: on the water
I just payed 5 bucks for one so I would buy......

#503652 - 04/20/09 01:43 PM Re: Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not? [Re: cowlitzkiller]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Buy low, sell high.

#503657 - 04/20/09 02:22 PM Re: Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not? [Re: ]
Lofty Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: University Place
yes it's good stuff. add some anise extract and cut it with water. fish on.

#503660 - 04/20/09 02:39 PM Re: Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not? [Re: Lofty]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.
I was down at the Columbia fishing last Friday pulling quikys, could'nt miss all those colorful latex gloves in our lineup, at least four different colors. At least one guy knew what to do with them golves cause I saw a cows udder floating down the river. Just good old river water for me thank you..........Chuck G

#503663 - 04/20/09 02:44 PM Re: Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not? [Re: N W Panhandler]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
When I was a kid, the rage for everyone fishing Kings in the sound was to soak their herring in Lux Liquid overnight.

#503664 - 04/20/09 02:46 PM Re: Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not? [Re: Lofty]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
"BUY".I buy the same stuff from a local small store.The ultra just takes more time to rinse off and kinda leaves a little film if you don't.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#503672 - 04/20/09 03:25 PM Re: Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not? [Re: The Moderator]
NanookWillie Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: God's Country Oregon
Everything Parker said especially concerning some folks.

I do use scents and they at least don't scare the fish away.

I "wash" my hands with WD before touching anything. WD also keeps my
swivels working nicely.

Latex gloves crack me up but that's not a shot at anyone either.

2cents

#503686 - 04/20/09 04:15 PM Re: Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not? [Re: NanookWillie]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Lemon Joy is the stuff. Ted Chamberline used to swear by it and I've always used it to wash hands, old scent off of plugs and flashers, the fish-cleaning tray, deck, etc.

Funny, I had less confidence in it since they changed the formula to ultra figuring they added some fish-off gremlins. The rinsability of the original makes sense.

Dan

#503695 - 04/20/09 05:41 PM Re: Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not? [Re: OceanSun]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
lets go back to 1930s to the 1970s. long before the goofy stuff came along. i've seen many old timer pics of salmon being caught without any gloves.... i'm certain that nobody was scrubbing down anything with soap. they used clumsy bulky rods. not so good reels either. their line looks like 12guage wire too. they caught spring salmon just fine.....

i know several very successfull troller salmon guys who never wear any gloves or wash anything. last year they sleyed the springers. this year with fishing very tough so far, have put 15 in the boat. something to be said about thier success.

#503700 - 04/20/09 06:13 PM Re: Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not? [Re: Brewer]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Originally Posted By: Brewer
lets go back to 1930s to the 1970s. long before the goofy stuff came along. i've seen many old timer pics of salmon being caught without any gloves.... i'm certain that nobody was scrubbing down anything with soap. they used clumsy bulky rods. not so good reels either. their line looks like 12guage wire too. they caught spring salmon just fine.....

i know several very successfull troller salmon guys who never wear any gloves or wash anything. last year they sleyed the springers. this year with fishing very tough so far, have put 15 in the boat. something to be said about thier success.

+1

#503704 - 04/20/09 06:34 PM Re: Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not? [Re: Dave Vedder]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The best reason to use funny looking latex gloves while fishing...is to be funny looking enough that your fishing buddies have something to laugh about.

Give the Lemon Joy a sniff...it doesn't smell like lemons at all...not even close...it smells like anise. I don't think any fish are attracted to it, but it sure masks human scent just fine, and I guess that's good for some fish, especially finicky salmon.

Not only do I not wear gloves, but I smoke, eat, drink, and row with the same ungloved hands all day in no bait, no scent waters...sometimes I even bleed on my lures a bit when the damn barbless hooks poke me under the fingernail...steelhead don't seem to mind.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#503716 - 04/20/09 07:16 PM Re: Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not? [Re: Todd]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: Todd
sometimes I even bleed on my lures a bit when the damn barbless hooks poke me under the fingernail...steelhead don't seem to mind.

Ouch. OTOH, I can't count the number of times my fingers have been cut or poked and have bled all over whatever baits I'm using. Fish don't care.

#503719 - 04/20/09 07:39 PM Re: Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not? [Re: The Moderator]
Brewer Offline

wabo, buy the soap. if washing everything gives you confidence in catching a springer.... then you need it. look at things this way. women have to get all dolled up when they go out. it gives them confidence about wether they look good to guys. well guys (the springer) don't really care a whole lot how the makeup looks. a tight fitting skirt and lots of cleavage gets the hard bites! so basically the soap thing is all about thinking your fishing right.

just a brewers thought.

#503752 - 04/20/09 10:27 PM Re: Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not? [Re: Brewer]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
The stuff is for removing fish stink from the boat and gear and you. Not for masking anything. If your odor offends fish, then maybe you need it, but commercial fisherman have used Joy for years to clean the boat......again, the boat.

Plastic gloves are fine for those who use dyes, IMO. Other than that, it makes it easier for the guy across the river to see you waving that you just lost one "that big". wink

#503761 - 04/20/09 10:56 PM Re: Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Brewer Offline

whats the opinion over on cryfish?

#503766 - 04/20/09 11:44 PM Re: Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not? [Re: Brewer]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Fish like the bubbles, they think it's extra oxygen so they gulp it up..... That's my take on it....... wink

Keith laugh

#503775 - 04/21/09 12:43 AM Re: Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not? [Re: ]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Originally Posted By: ChuckS
pretty soon some wierd dude will be sticking a motorcycle battery in his pocket and runnin a damn black box to the rod tip while hes castin rofl

I'm all over it. Let's design a prototype and post photos of it it on some other boards. We will get rich!

Edited by Dave Vedder (04/21/09 01:39 AM)

#503780 - 04/21/09 01:26 AM Re: Non-Ultra Lemon Joy - Buy or Not? [Re: Dave Vedder]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
For fawks sakes folks, its dish soap. 3 pages?

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
arroem, Bill G, eddie, MetalheadMatt
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Carcassman, FleaFlickr02), 506 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13411
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63813 Topics
645812 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |