Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63666 - 09/05/01 04:16 PM Rivers
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
Anyone know of a good fishing report and forum for river fishing?

While most were out chasing salmon, bass, or perch over the weekend, I hooked into about 80 wild trout between 8 and 24 inches. Half of those (mainly the larger half) were from an Olympic Pen. river and the other from the Middle Fork Snoqualmie by my house.

2 out of 3 fish I caught on the OP were dollies/bull trout (char) - 2 being about 4lbs. The OP wild rainbows were very impressive. They would jump about 2 or 3 feet out of the water several times and even the smaller 14inchers would strip out line (while heading up stream...). The 16 to 20+ inchers were heart stopping. A couple simply spanked me and my ultra light gear and broke my line after a few seconds - I had to switch to 6lb line.
Each night I kept my 2 fish limit and shared fresh trout with my buddies. They were a little big for my usual 'trout on a stick' method of cooking at camp, but with some improvising, we had flavorful fish that melted in your mouth.

On the snoqualmie, the fish were smaller, and less powerful, but they had plenty of spirit - making multiple cart-wheel type jumps each time. This time, I got my 2 personal best for this river - a 14incher and a 16incher. Very beautiful fish (all released of course - but I know where to find them smile

Of the group of guys I was with, 2 of us mostly used spinning gear, and the other 2 were dedicated fly fisherman. By the end of each trip, we were fighting over the spinning rods... But to be fair, we did not fish the evening hatch on the Snoqualmie. I can't keep the trout off my dry fly on that river during the evening.

Oh, and just for the record, oncy my buddy gets his boat this Friday - we'll be out there chasing those salmon too smile

#63667 - 09/05/01 05:50 PM Re: Rivers
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Hi Chad,

The other bulletin board connected to this site has some good info on rivers. Ask a question, and the guys out there are willing to share their answers.

If you need any saltwater tips once your friend gets his boat in the water, let me know. I have fished a number of areas in the central sound, as well as Sekiu. How big is the boat? If it is at least 16 feet, and not a jonboat, you may want to have your friend break it in up at sekiu. That is where the BIG silvers will be.

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#63668 - 09/05/01 06:45 PM Re: Rivers
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
Thanks for the info Andy. His boat is 18.5ft and has a 150 horse outboard and 2 down-riggers. Sekiu sounds great!

What do you think about the Pt Defiance area? He lives in Kent, so we plan to hit the water before work a few times and need some local areas to try...

-Chad

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 920 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13411
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63813 Topics
645816 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |