Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#67134 - 06/24/02 01:52 PM Salmon Opener
On The Hook Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Post Falls, Idaho
Hey all since I inadverntly opened a can of worms on bait verses artificials I would like to invite whomever wants to come to Port Townsend to fish for Silvers from either Fort Worden or Fort Flagler Sate Parks beaches.
It is a fun way to catch them especially at Worden near the lighthouse(Point Wilson).

If you come up the usual light saltwater or medium freshwater setup in spin or baitcast work well and I use Buzz Bombs pearl(white) with green stripe.

And again hope you can come if interested call 360-379-0712 if I am not home leave a message.

#67135 - 06/24/02 02:17 PM Re: Salmon Opener
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Hey PT, do you get Silvers in that area right at the begining of July? If not, when is the "hot" time? That sounds like fun fishing for them from shore.

#67136 - 06/24/02 04:08 PM Re: Salmon Opener
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
I grew up fishing Pt-no-Pt, we lived their for 11 yrs. The Silvers were never in real heavy until the end of July. Last year we started fishing silvers right after the poener and caught tons of them right from the start. There definatly will be fish to be caught,but it won't be red hot until later in the month.

PT Nut...thanks for the invite but I'll be fishing Pt. Defiance,I've got a date with a big King! Shhhhh,don't tell anybody,but I'll be using bait. laugh

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#67137 - 06/24/02 05:05 PM Re: Salmon Opener
On The Hook Offline
Returning Adult

Hey EL yes there are a few silvers this time of year and HBP is right pretty much most of the "HOT" fishing is toward the end of July but being closer to the strait we get the fish a bit (not much sooner they kind of mull around point wilson) sooner than point no point but the biggest benifit is fewer fisherman in July (though you never can tell when everyone will show up LOL!!!).

But maybe come up early and scope it out and maybe have lunch.

HBP-- Any pointers on fishing pt no pt ive never fished it.

#67138 - 06/24/02 11:03 PM Re: Salmon Opener
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Sounds like fun, count me in!

#67139 - 06/25/02 12:26 AM Re: Salmon Opener
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
Hey PT NUT...

Fishing for silvers at No-Pt is really easy. If you look on a map that has some detail, you'll see a point which is NW of No-Pt is Norweigen Pt.Just around the bend is Skunk Bay, Last year we trolled from the Boathouse at Norweigen into Skunk Bay. The funny thing was that early in the season the fish were all in less than 30ft of water. There are alot of kelp beds in Skunk Bay and that's where the fish were. Most times we fished in 10-15ft of water. It didn't matter as to time of day,just fish some kind of tide.

Rigging up was simple to,all we use is 1/2 - 2oz. of lead with a mooching leader. Troll fast enough to get your bait really spinning,with plug cut herring the bait of choice. It's just like anywhere else...look for the boats and you'll find fish.

A word of warning though...the ramp at the resort was closed by the state until repaired. The only place to launch is Kingston and it's a 15 minute run north to the Pt. You may hear rumors of a launch at Eglon...Stay away from that place unless it's a really high tide. Anything less and your truck will get a saltwater bath trying to launch mad

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#67140 - 06/25/02 01:11 PM Re: Salmon Opener
On The Hook Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks HBP

I figured trolling would be best but didnt want to screw it up LOL!!! But thanks for the advice on the run and where to look.

And EL if you want to come up just for the hell of it and try fishing call me.

#67141 - 06/29/02 08:51 PM Re: Salmon Opener
Asteiger Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Los Angeles
Hey HBP, what days are you gona be at Defiance?

#67142 - 06/29/02 11:09 PM Re: Salmon Opener
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

PT, what would be a good time to come out there? I am out of town all of next weekend. Maybe next weekend after that (the 12th)? I have to be careful with my planning. People want to fish with me on certain days and I have to make sure I don't double book myself.

#67143 - 06/30/02 01:00 AM Re: Salmon Opener
On The Hook Offline
Returning Adult

Carl

Any day between the 6th and 22nd I can be available to fish up here.

As of right now my boat is still being fixed and most of my fishing is from shore.

With a boat in a lake I know my stuff but still learning about boating on the salt laugh .

Just give me a call or leave and email.

Robert

#67144 - 06/30/02 01:53 AM Re: Salmon Opener
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Right on! Are the days you are refering to in July or August? Looks like the Elliott Bay fishery is going to be the big draw this year. I am booking up fast. My buddy Barry just called to reserve four days with me. I should get a bigger boat. rolleyes

#67145 - 06/30/02 09:38 AM Re: Salmon Opener
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
Fort Warden was the childhood summer vacation spot.We would camp at the park and me and dad would fish in the boat all day,while mom and the girls did whatever.Used to come home with alot of salmon.The last two years dad got reel mad because I opted to not go out in the boat and outfished him from shore.I would out fish dad and still have time to chase girls!Neat place.The fort was a good place for making out with the girls!!

You can fish pt. no point from shore just as easy as pt wilson.It gets even more crowded though.

If you ever see a guy breaking the mold and tossing BAIT instead of the usuall lead jig it is probably is me.I have perfected a way of casting cut plug hearring that is deadly.The only guys that could out fish the method were a couple of fly guys.

#67146 - 06/30/02 11:44 PM Re: Salmon Opener
On The Hook Offline
Returning Adult

Carl

I was talking July and to clarify I have no plans yet from the 7th Of July through August except for July 23rd(going to a Mariners game) and July 24th(wifes last day of vacation).

Do you have my # if not tell me and I will email it to you.

Also if you want to bring your boat be my guest might be a nice change to get on the water I havent yet this year.

ltlCLEO

Were you up here last August if so I probably saw you as I was there alot until the run slowed.

Give me a buzz by email when you come up.

#67147 - 07/01/02 12:07 PM Re: Salmon Opener
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
Cut plug herring is the ONLY way to go while shore casting for Silvers. It took me a year and a few pointers from a really cool guy in his 80's to perfect the proper way of hooking the herring and getting that proper spin. Now that i have it, i expect fish everytime, i don't guess at the thought of "is my buzzbomb working is it the right color or too big or small" or whatever. Or use these as an excuse to myself for not catching any. As long as they are there, they will hit it. No question or doubt. Even in the roughest surf. Master the power of the herring. It is your destiny...

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 776 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13411
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63813 Topics
645816 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |