Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#72464 - 05/17/05 02:07 AM mallow and worm
Julia Offline
Fry

Loc: Puyallup, WA
can someone explain - or better yet post a picture of how to sucessfully put a marshmallow and worm on a hook? When I do this I see one of the baits fly off as I cast (lol). I use 1/2 a night crawler too. Oh and is it worth putting a worm w/a powerbait nugget or paste? I am having great luck w/the power eggs alone...but I think the n/crawlers need to be used some more...so anything you guys can tell me would be appreciated - thanks. Julia

#72465 - 05/28/05 05:43 PM Re: mallow and worm
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Well it's like my grandpa used to tell me... If you have something that works, why fix it?

What I used to do for mallow and worms...

I used to fish for kokanee, and I only wanted to keep them, never released them. I used small hooks, like size eight or ten, and rolled the marshmallow all the way up to the eye of the hook, then put on the worm (a small chunk of night crawler, like you said), and rolled that right behind the barb, so that the barb would hold it on.

In all honesty, I never took to marshmallows, because like you said, they're always coming off. I stuck to power bait or power eggs.

You think figuring this stuff out is tough, try taking up fly fishing... I just started and I feel like I'm learning how to fish again laugh

Curtis

#72466 - 05/28/05 07:02 PM Re: mallow and worm
gsiegel Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Graham
As stated it works best to put the mallow on first.

You may have better luck keeping mallows on if you "age" them a bit in open air. The ones for fishing and plain mallows are all too soft ifyou don't let them dry a bit.

Another trick; attach the main line to a snap swivel. Tie a loop on the end of the leader, and hook it in the snap. When you reel in to check your bait the worm may still be fine, but the mallow is gone or about to go. Now just undo the snap. Get a fine-point crochet hook and thread a new mallow onto it. Hook the leader loop on the crochet hook, and simply slide the new mallow down the leader on top of the worm!

You may also want to try a "worm inflator" needle (like a hypo needle on a squeeze bottle) to inject enough air into the worm to make it float without a mallow. Sometimes the natural wiggling crawler works better than powerbait or anything else.

As you can tell I'm a baiter from way-back. But don't forget to try lures too! Makes it much easier to let them go.

Hope this helps.

"I fish, therefore someone else must tend the cooler!"

#72467 - 05/30/05 03:24 AM Re: mallow and worm
Julia Offline
Fry

Loc: Puyallup, WA
Those are GREAT suggestions - THANK YOU - I'll try them soon and let you know how I do! The air in the worm thing is neat - I've always wondered what that was about - where can I get a thing to blow them up?

#72468 - 05/30/05 10:26 PM Re: mallow and worm
gsiegel Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Graham
I've had my inflator so long I can't remember where I got it, but Sportco or GI Joe's should have them. Bass Pro and Cabelas do, also. You can also use a small hypodermic needle.

Good Luck, lets hear how you do!

"I fish, therefore someone else must tend the cooler!"

#72469 - 06/04/05 12:21 PM Re: mallow and worm
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
I actually just went to a feed store and bought a needle from there. Wasn't very much, I think it was less than $2.

It was kind of fun on one fishing trip: We would cast out these worms that were filled up with air and as soon as the line went slack (meaning it was on the bottom), we would slowly reel it back in. I can't remember how many we nailed that day, quite a few though.

Curtis

#72470 - 06/07/05 02:21 AM Re: mallow and worm
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
instead of mellow try a small piece of foam ear plug. They come in all sorts of cool colors and if you squeze them in a little anise oil or other scent trout love em. They don't fall off your hook and float great. Don't tell the snobby steelheaders on the main board about it though. Our secret. Good luck

#72471 - 06/07/05 03:40 AM Re: mallow and worm
Kent near Monroe Offline
Parr

Loc: Storm Lake near Monroe
Ear plugs work well. You need to age the mallow before you use them. You don't need much nitecrawler. I never use a hook larger than a 4. Size 6 most of the time. First slip on the mallow and then pinch off about 1/2 inch of nitecrawler and thread it lenghtwise on your hook. Often times I can catch 2-3 fish on one chunk of nitecrawler as it slides up the hook when the fish bites. I've found it doesn't matter what order you put the mallow on. If you catch a fish slide the chunk of crawler up the line and put a mallow on. Slide it back down and away you go.

#72472 - 06/28/05 08:30 PM Re: mallow and worm
Born2Boat Offline
Egg

Loc: Snohomish
Kent is right.

I'm from the Spokane area. I grew up bank fishing for trout.

Age the mellows. Open the bag and let them dry out. Not in the sun. or you'll have a mess.

Mellow 1st worm 2nd.

Use a good bait holder hook, and cast smoothly.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 920 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13411
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63813 Topics
645816 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |