Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#72523 - 05/29/05 04:09 PM Where to shore fish for panfish Federal Way
littlefish Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Federal Way
area. Any ideas where to catch panfish/perch from shore or public dock around Federal Way? Any favorite methods? I'm trying to get my youngster daughter started on fishing this year (about 3 years old smile ...). She's already learning how to reel in, but there's nothing on the end of her line! Thanks much for any help!! I love this website for its content and info..

#72524 - 05/30/05 02:02 AM Re: Where to shore fish for panfish Federal Way
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
You might try North, Five Mile, Star, Fenwick, or Doloff.

#72525 - 05/30/05 10:28 AM Re: Where to shore fish for panfish Federal Way
littlefish Offline
Eyed Egg

Thanks Carl, I've tried North with little luck from the public area. Managed a couple small pumpkinseeds. The dock doesn't cover much area... Haven't tried 5-mile, but everything I've heard seems disappointing from the dock. Guess that'll be my next target. Dolloff doesn't have shore fishing access (the boat launch area is all, and is only 20-30 feet wide without 'good' looking fish water.. I've obviously tried there too). Haven't tried Fenwick. Thanks! I'll give reports for the lakes as I try them..

#72526 - 05/31/05 12:20 PM Re: Where to shore fish for panfish Federal Way
littlefish Offline
Eyed Egg

Went to Star and found no access from shore there either, so tried North again. Did a little better catching small perch. Daughter caught her first fish! The fish weighed less than the weeds wrapped on the line, but she enjoyed it and reeled the thing all the way in (I helped hold the rod). She even knew to lift the rod up when she had it reeled in and laughed at the site of a little perch wiggling underneath some bottom 'greenery'. Good day overall, she kept interested for about an hour. Pretty good for someone that hasn't yet turned 3!

#72527 - 06/06/05 03:03 PM Re: Where to shore fish for panfish Federal Way
littlefish Offline
Eyed Egg

Welp, North was good for little pumpkinseed sunfish and perch. Perch were small though. Caught maybe a dozen fish in an hour and a half. Caught a lunker 16 1/2 inch bass. Didn't have a scale though, so not sure how big it was. Anybody have an estimate? It was not thin at all, but wasn't a fat-bellied hog either. Man it was fun to catch after fighting small perch and even smaller pumpkinseeds. Good day. My little daughter held the rod or reeled in some of the perch, pumpkinseeds. She loved it! It was definitely Daddy's turn with the bass! It fought a long time. I land steelhead quicker than that.. Took about 10 minutes on very light tackle, but I got it!
-littlefish

#72528 - 06/07/05 01:48 AM Re: Where to shore fish for panfish Federal Way
longday Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Kirkland, WA
I would research some public docks on Lake Washington. I've panfished Log Boom and Waverly Park with great results. Catching 12"-14" perch is fairly common. Both these parks are in the north end of the lake, but I'm sure you could find some holes in the southend (closer to federal way that is).

Good Fishing!

#72529 - 06/12/05 12:34 PM Re: Where to shore fish for panfish Federal Way
littlefish Offline
Eyed Egg

Thanx Longday! I found a lake pretty close to home with lots of small perch, I'll have to try Lake Washington next time we (wife and daughter too) head that way. Seems lots of people talk of catching perch there that are worthy of frying-pan sized status.

#72530 - 06/13/05 02:52 AM Re: Where to shore fish for panfish Federal Way
islandtrucha Offline
Fry

Loc: Federal Way WA
littlefish,

I live in Federal Way. I know that Steel Lake has perch in it and it also has a decent dock.

I fish here mostly out of convenience and because I don't have a boat.

Most folks fishing Steel Lake target trout. The lake also contains sun fish, largemouth bass and bullhead catfish.

Maybe I'll see you there. Just look for the only guy who targets the bass unless he's with his little girl, a real trout angler at at 5! cool

Oh yeah! It is north east of the Walmart off of 112th I think. Definitely behind the Walmart though. Good luck!

#72531 - 06/21/05 05:39 PM Re: Where to shore fish for panfish Federal Way
littlefish Offline
Eyed Egg

I'll keep an eye out trucha! I go to steel lake occassionally. They have a great kids area. Haven't caught any perch there. Any idea where to target them from the dock? Trout fishing has been slow there this year... Thanx for the info!. Good luck out there...

#72532 - 06/23/05 02:46 AM Re: Where to shore fish for panfish Federal Way
islandtrucha Offline
Fry

Loc: Federal Way WA
hey there, littlefish! I regret to say that I have never targetted perch at Steel Lake. frown

I have only met two people on the dock who did target them and both used earthworms.

I was just there earlier today and the best I could do was coax out some big bass under the dock. Unfortunately, no takers.

If you see a short, stocky guy with two rods targetting bass, that's me. wink

#72533 - 06/30/05 01:13 PM Re: Where to shore fish for panfish Federal Way
FishFreaky Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Kent
I have four year old and he is getting into fishing too. I've fished Fenwick, Dolof, The Fishing Hole, Angle lake. To my surprise it has all been quite slow. We caught a few trout a couple days after the plant at Fenwick but not much else. I am going to turn to the panfish and perch as well for the action. I called the Fish and Game guys. They said don't eat too many out of L. Washington due to PCB levels.

#72534 - 07/07/05 01:53 PM Re: Where to shore fish for panfish Federal Way
Jenri Offline
Egg

Quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
area. Any ideas where to catch panfish/perch from shore or public dock around Federal Way? Any favorite methods? I'm trying to get my youngster daughter started on fishing this year (about 3 years old smile ...). She's already learning how to reel in, but there's nothing on the end of her line! Thanks much for any help!! I love this website for its content and info..

#72535 - 07/07/05 01:55 PM Re: Where to shore fish for panfish Federal Way
Jenri Offline
Egg

[Has anyone ever fished at Fishers pond in FW off 320th, I hear that there are some big bass there but access is difficult

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 726 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13411
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63813 Topics
645816 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |