THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#756342 - 04/27/12 12:58 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Dan S.]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Don't know. I grew up just down the road from the Samish. It is important to me. I don't fish roe. I don't know what to do. The fishery is dead to me now.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#756344 - 04/27/12 01:02 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

And add to that all the other closures in recent years around Whatcom/Skagit County and things just plain suck around here now. I fish in BC almost every week because I have to. Just counting the days until I get my tires get slashed. Thanks WDFW!

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#756348 - 04/27/12 01:16 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Iwant2fish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Whatcom County
Originally Posted By: Jason B
Don't know. I grew up just down the road from the Samish. It is important to me. I don't fish roe. I don't know what to do. The fishery is dead to me now.

You can try something revolutionary on the Samish, you can suspend that jig under a float WITHIN the water column . rofl

#756353 - 04/27/12 01:26 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Iwant2fish]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Originally Posted By: Iwant2fish
You can try something revolutionary on the Samish, you can suspend that jig under a float WITHIN the water column . rofl

Sounds like a good way to go down there and only snag fish.....At least you could get them in the mouth before......

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#756354 - 04/27/12 01:29 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Snagging them in the mouth is still snagging them, even if it's productive...at least if they are suspended below a float and you don't rip it around it should be an actual bite when the float goes down.

Hatchery fish or not, I just can't abide a fishery where the main technique is to floss them...it takes the fair chase out of the equation, and without that you may as well be using a gillnet, in my opinion.

Your mileage may vary.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#756355 - 04/27/12 01:40 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Moravec Offline

Loc: Snoqualmie WA/Cordova AK
Originally Posted By: Moravec
This is getting me excited to read more crap about snag fisheries and the elitists that call them home...

The only elitists I see here are the ones that don't hit these fisheries.......

The rest of you try and play it off Iike you are the Mother Teresa of the fishing world.....

That is easy to do over the net. A lot harder to do in the real world. I guess you can buy all your Samish kings in a grocery for 20$ a pound, caught oh so ethically in one of hundreds of gill nets......

There's a big difference between being a snob, and just trying to keep your experiences high-quality by avoiding a low-quality (albeit high-tonnage) fishery like the Ditch...sorry if I rubbed you wrong...I wasn't trying to rub you at all.

And for anyone out there that might not be able to figure it out for themselves...there are plenty of options between "Ditchin'" it and the Grocery Store.

#756356 - 04/27/12 01:44 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
gvbest Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Silverdale, WA
Originally Posted By: Moravec
This is getting me excited to read more crap about snag fisheries and the elitists that call them home...

The only elitists I see here are the ones that don't hit these fisheries.......

The rest of you try and play it off Iike you are the Mother Teresa of the fishing world.....

That is easy to do over the net. A lot harder to do in the real world. I guess you can buy all your Samish kings in a grocery for 20$ a pound, caught oh so ethically in one of hundreds of gill nets......

Sorry but I will be getting my fish out of the salt using my boat. Although for the amount of fish I catch vs the money I spend, buying them in the store would save me money. I doubt Samish king is $20 a pound though.

#756428 - 04/27/12 07:06 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Bunker Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: River that your fishing!
Don't know. I grew up just down the road from the Samish. It is important to me. I don't fish roe. I don't know what to do. The snaggery is dead to me now.

Fixed it for you.

#756530 - 04/28/12 04:07 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: JTD]
EarthMan Offline
Smolt

Actually I was trying to explain how the entire fishery is about fish being hooked without the fish trying to eat a bait. If you think you are catching fish by the fish running down your bait and swallowing it, then you are mistaken and hence, you too are a snagger.

If you have never fished it, then your comments aren't worth much.

They are hatchery fish in an artificial situation. The dike is artificial. The salmon follow each other up that "river" (read that as a ditch), using exactly the same path within inches. You put a hook in front of that path, the fish are going to end up running into it. You can delicately fish your eggs in that path, and the fish will run into them too. It might make you feel better to think that you are outfoxing those hatchery fish into biting, but it ain't true. If you catch one salmon that actually bit your eggs under your float, then you hooked 10 others that just ran into it and I defy you to tell me which salmon took it, and which didn't.

I am not fishing the ditch anymore and I guess that makes me feel like a have perspective to call it like it is. If you fish that, then you are snagging. It is all snagging. Use bait or jigs, under a float or whatever. Those fish aren't biting. I call BS on anyone who says otherwise for the vast majority of fish there.

You want to call me a snagger, fine. I call you a snagger too.

#756533 - 04/28/12 07:38 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: EarthMan]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
I'm thinking that it is a good thing to have places where people can go to catch a fish, or many fish, in most any way they want.

(this is where some opportunists jump in.....so come on down smile )

At least it keeps some of the other rivers less crowded.
I fail to see much of a downside in that.

#756546 - 04/28/12 11:29 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: ]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Originally Posted By: Abu-Loomis
[quote=Jason B]

What an elitest comment, you think you're Mother Teresa or what?

How close minded of you though, Jason B. You go to that shi.t hole to floss (SNAG) your fish, but now that you can't do it the way you want....you stop going and like Dan said, snivel for days. Apparently your not bright enough to think outside of your little box and figure out that using a float shouldn't keep you from flossin up your limit of bathwater kings. If you use your brain power, you can probably figure out a way. If your as retarded as the average snagger, you can just snag em in the [Bleeeeep!], since it's no different that snagging them in the side of the head. This whole thread is a fuckin joke and should be deleted, a snagger bitching about rules changing belongs on gaymfishin.

You sound like a dick.

If I could fish like a bear and grab these fish in my hands I would but that is illegal so I can't. This fishery is not a sport fishery.

Maybe you have no idea what you are talking about or you are just. bored dick.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#756548 - 04/28/12 11:53 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: Abu-Loomis
[quote=Jason B]

What an elitest comment, you think you're Mother Teresa or what?

How close minded of you though, Jason B. You go to that shi.t hole to floss (SNAG) your fish, but now that you can't do it the way you want....you stop going and like Dan said, snivel for days. Apparently your not bright enough to think outside of your little box and figure out that using a float shouldn't keep you from flossin up your limit of bathwater kings. If you use your brain power, you can probably figure out a way. If your as retarded as the average snagger, you can just snag em in the [Bleeeeep!], since it's no different that snagging them in the side of the head. This whole thread is a fuckin joke and should be deleted, a snagger bitching about rules changing belongs on gaymfishin.

You sound like a dick.

If I could fish like a bear and grab these fish in my hands I would but that is illegal so I can't. This fishery is not a sport fishery.

Maybe you have no idea what you are talking about or you are just. bored dick.

If the fishery is not a sport fishery you should be happy to get your fish from the hatchery.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#756552 - 04/28/12 12:20 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
I used to fish eggs under a bobber in the lower end of the "river"and never had a big problem getting them to eat. Snagging them incidentally shouldn't be much of an issue unless you are actively trying to do that.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#756557 - 04/28/12 12:44 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: ColeyG]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Hey Jerry, if that is the way you feel delete this thread. Delete it now. PLEASE.

I thought more people would care that the state is forcing folks to use a bobber. Boy was I wrong.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#756629 - 04/28/12 11:02 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

I have better luck with floats than bobbers.

#756669 - 04/29/12 12:51 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: ]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Originally Posted By: Steelspanker

The state also forces us to drive on the right side of the road. Sometimes the State (us) forces us to do things to protect us from us.

Really?

I don know where to start.....

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#756735 - 04/29/12 10:47 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: steelhead59]
Rag N Steel Offline
Feel Free to make small talk ;)

Loc: South MILF Hill
Originally Posted By: steelhead59
You can actually fish a spinner under a float . Seen a guy doing this year for winters on the coast. It was a slow morning for fishing, this guy showed up with a center pin reel, float and spinner and he put on a clinic. Rat bastard caught like 6 fish in a hour or less.

that was a fun day to put on a clinic thumbs

www.badcatboats.com

#756910 - 04/30/12 09:37 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Rag N Steel]
SkykomishSunrise Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: Rag N Steel
Originally Posted By: steelhead59
You can actually fish a spinner under a float . Seen a guy doing this year for winters on the coast. It was a slow morning for fishing, this guy showed up with a center pin reel, float and spinner and he put on a clinic. Rat bastard caught like 6 fish in a hour or less.

that was a fun day to put on a clinic thumbs

Lets just keep the great Canadian spinner trick to ourselves.

P.S. It's nice to learn that someone else (at least south of the border) discovered that it actually works.

Bill McMillan

#756922 - 04/30/12 09:58 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: SkykomishSunrise]
Moravec Offline

Loc: Snoqualmie WA/Cordova AK
I am still trying to master the "K15-under-a-float" technique...once I get it dialed I'll post a youtube vid...it will forever be known as Moravec-Doggin'

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
RockLizard, tj592004
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 590 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63817 Topics
645865 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |