LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83676 - 12/11/99 02:09 PM What is the best book on NW Steelies?
G-spot Offline
Fry

A search on Amazon revealed about 25 different books on steelhead fishing (nearly 1/2 of those concern catching a steelie on a fly).

I'd appreciate any opinions on what is the best book for for a newly obsessed, non-fly metalhead angler to learn more about these NW fish and how to hunt them.

Many thanks,

Fish on.

G-spot

#83677 - 12/11/99 02:37 PM Re: What is the best book on NW Steelies?
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Herzog's book, Color Guide to Steelhead Drift Fishing is a good beginner's book

[This message has been edited by Rich (edited 12-11-1999).]

#83678 - 12/11/99 03:42 PM Re: What is the best book on NW Steelies?
Duck In The Fog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima Wa. U.S.A.
Stan Fagerstrom's Beginning Steelhead.
If you can still find it. I lent mine out and the person lost it. Would love to buy another one if I could find one. The Duck

#83679 - 12/11/99 08:12 PM Re: What is the best book on NW Steelies?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think I've bought most of the non-fly books in print (and a few of the fly books, too). I agree that the best overall book is Bill Herzog's 'Color Guide to Drift Fishing'

For my second choice (hey, it's Christmas!) I STRONGLY recommend Trey Combs' 'Steelhead Fly Fishing' even if you're a gear guy (like me). In paperback it costs $23 via Amazon and is the best bargain in fishing as it's a large format 500 page book. Combs writes beautifully and there is no way you could read this book (skipping the parts on assembling shooting heads and the like) and not end up a much better fisherman given his analysis of the fish, holding water, presentations, etc. Along the way, you learn about the great steelhead rivers and some of the nutcases who spend their lives fishing them. It's a must-have book.

Third pick is Jed Davis' 'Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon and Trout'. This is an excellent all round book (even if you don't fish spinners) as it talks in detail about water temperature and color, size of lures and likely steelhead behavior. Changes the way you fish, for the better.

If you're some sort of reading demon another OK book but lacking the focus and detail of the previous three is Jim Bedford's 'Steelhead Saavy'. However, the advantage of Jim Bedford's book is that it addresses every technique -- drift fishing, float fishing, spinners, plugs -- though not in as much detail (and it's aimed at anglers fishing in Great Lakes-type rivers).

I've also got a bunch of specialty books on jigs, plugs, etc, and particularly recommend Dave Vedder's Float Fishing for Steelhead (though to be honest I've yet to really put his advice to work, but his instructions and descriptions are very clear).

I bought all of these through Amazon.

#83680 - 12/11/99 08:52 PM Re: What is the best book on NW Steelies?
HSL Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle
Armed with nothing more than enthusiasm, a bit of general fishing knowledge (trout, bass, panish) and three great books, I learned how to fish for steelhead last winter (and managed to land 4 fish!)...

1. Herzog's "Color Guide to Steelhead Drift Fishing"

2. Keizer's "Western Steelhead Fishing Guide"

3. Vedder's/Harthorns' "Steelhead Jig Fishing"

I'm forever indebted to these authors for sharing their expertise. Good luck to you!

#83681 - 12/12/99 02:44 AM Re: What is the best book on NW Steelies?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
I ditto the last one ... except replace number three with Jed Davis' book ... that's all for how-to ... The Steelhead Trout, by Trey Combs ... 1971 is my all-time favorite.

Lots of neat info about life histories, range, etc ... and a rude awakening as to why many of our runs went sour ... look at some of the harvests off rivers years ago ... in 1954, the Puyallup had more than 16,000 steelhead taken from it ...

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#83682 - 12/12/99 04:15 AM Re: What is the best book on NW Steelies?
joe Offline
Parr

Loc: Port Townsend, WA
FOR THE FLY I THINK DEKE MEYER "ADVANCED FLY FISHING FOR STEELHEAD" IS BETTER THAN ANY OF COMBS BOOKS, ITS ABOUT HOW TO, NOT WHO I FISHED WITH.

#83683 - 12/12/99 04:58 AM Re: What is the best book on NW Steelies?
fishrmn Offline
Smolt

Loc: Shelton, WA
My favorite is Milt Keizer's "Western Steelhead Fishing Guide". So much good information.
-Mark.

#83684 - 12/12/99 10:35 AM Re: What is the best book on NW Steelies?
G-spot Offline
Fry

Thank you very much for all the excellent feedback on steelheading books - my Christmas budget is now officially blown.

The rivers in this area are also blown, so... I'm off skiing today (they got 1 foot of fresh snow at Stevens Pass last night).

Fish on.

G-spot

#83685 - 12/13/99 11:02 PM Re: What is the best book on NW Steelies?
Pete Offline
Alevin

Loc: Portland, OR
Another book which should be on every steelheader's shelf is Trey Combs' "Steelhead Fly Fishing". While part of the book relates to fly fishing, the focus of the book is on steelhead behavior and steelhead rivers. It's a big hard cover book, check it out at the library.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
bassmaster, jensen2592, PaulS, ROBYNS, SHARPSHOOTER
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, Carcassman), 1158 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13413
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63816 Topics
645855 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |