LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83860 - 12/17/99 08:15 PM Any recommendation for a good spinning reel?
First Bite Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: OR
I just purchased a GLoomis STR1025S and would like to get a reel that can hold 100+ yards of 15-17 lb mono and have a quality rear drag to handle the occasional Springer and/or big Winter Steelhead.

I currently have a Shimano Symetre 4000 which is a fantastic reel and would work but it can't hold a lot of heavier line. Anyone know of a reel that would do the trick and not bankrupt me at the same time?
Thanks
Mark

Nobody makes a tougher jig...PERIOD!

#83861 - 12/17/99 10:00 PM Re: Any recommendation for a good spinning reel?
IronFisherman Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Silverdale, Washington, U.S.
Get a penn ss. There industructable and they come in a variety of sizes

#83862 - 12/17/99 11:23 PM Re: Any recommendation for a good spinning reel?
AkBill Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Yup, Penn SS. I use a 5500 for line that heavy, but since you only want 100+ yards you could get by with a 4500, which I use with 10#-12# set-ups. Rear drags aren't as good, although I've heard they're better than they used to be.

#83863 - 12/18/99 12:57 AM Re: Any recommendation for a good spinning reel?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use a Penn SS6500 for saltwater spinning, and I agree: they are indestructible, excellent value-for-money reels. But they are also heavy for their line class, too: there's a lot of iron in there.

One alternative you might consider is the Daiwa SS Tournament Series 2600 (or maybe one size smaller, the SS1300 if you're certain you only need 100 yards of heavy line). The SS2600 is the one I use for light saltwater and spinning for kings. First, it has an excellent drag -- lots of surface area and smooth. (After a few days fishing for mackerel and trevally, you appreciate that few reels have drags worth a hoot. The Penn's and this particular Daiwa measure up.) Second, either the 1300 or 2600 has the line capacity you need: both handle 210 yards of 10lb (I can't read the other marks on the spool as they've worn off, but I get around 130 yards of Maxima 20lb Green or 225 yards of 20lb Fireline). Third, it has a big diameter spool so it casts far. Four, it has a graphite body so it's light and easy to cast all day even if you opt for the bigger SS2600. Five, it has 3 ball bearings and a sure-close bail. Six, I've put the reel through hell and it's held up extremely well.

Price is the only downside. The SS2600 is $130 (plus about $20 for an extra spool). The SS1300 is $120 (both from Bass Pro's Master 1999 catalog, p. 39). This is $40-$50 more than the comparable Penn ($80 + $14 for spare spool). For my money, I'd pay the extra and save on the weight.

#83864 - 12/18/99 03:01 AM Re: Any recommendation for a good spinning reel?
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
I've successfully used a penn 4500ss for ten years now. Haven't had any major problems other than replacing the bail spring every three years or so. Have also travelled with the reel and appropriately matched rod. Was a little light for Christmas Island, but slayed numerous gamefish in Alaska, Hawai'i and on the East and Gulf Coasts. Will easily spool with over 100 yards of 15 lb line, even those with larger diameters like Ande and Maxima UG.

As far as the weight issue; I have one of the old "heavy metal" models. The new 4500's are housed in graphite making them substantially lighter.

#83865 - 12/18/99 05:21 PM Re: Any recommendation for a good spinning reel?
First Bite Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: OR
Thanks to all who replied to my post. It sounds like the Penn reel is the way to go.
Thanks again
Mark

Nobody makes a tougher jig...PERIOD!

#83866 - 12/20/99 12:03 PM Re: Any recommendation for a good spinning reel?
EastCoast Offline
Fry

Loc: Everett,WA
The Quantum EM5 is worth looking into. EMstands for energy metal, this will stand up to saltwater without any worries of corrision. The 5 stands for 5 sets of bearrings. you can get models with less bearings or without the salt water protection. You want your drag on top of the spool. The larger drag surface dissapates the heat better on those long runs and they are much smoother. One of the things I love about this real is the posi lock head. No matter what position the handle is in when you stop reeling the handle will not move a fraction of an inch backwards. The result of this is quicker bone crunching hooksets!

#83867 - 12/20/99 07:17 PM Re: Any recommendation for a good spinning reel?
IronFisherman Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Silverdale, Washington, U.S.
My experiences with Qauntum energy spinning reels is bad. I have had two E-3 spinnig reels fall apart on me and knew someone with an E-5 fall apart on him. All were used for freshwater fishing. Sure they're smooth in the store but they fall apart fast.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
adipose finn, fishingchef
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 534 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27838
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13411
eyeFISH 12614
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63814 Topics
645822 Posts

Max Online: 3937 @ 07/19/24 03:28 AM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |