Originally Posted By: Kaiser D.
I'm still trying to fully "appreciate" the sickle hooks.

I'd say that along with getting a good part of the mouth, setting the hook on a cast spoon WHILE THE BOAT IS MOVING is generally tough. Unless you are working overtime, the line is losing tension with every inch the boat moves downstream. Which is actually the OPPOSITE of what happens with "doggin".

Not sure that's the whole story.

So what about backtrolling and backbouncing? If done right, the boat continues to move downriver thru-out the strike. Yes, technically the boat is moving downriver, but at less than current speed, so part of the current is still helping to keep things tight for you. You're not really losing tension.

Two of the three fish I hooked, line was leaving the reel when they came unbuttoned. The third toad just wallowed under the surface without budging (no gyrations, no violent head shakes) about two rod lengths port of the drifter, and the rod was bent to the corks.... suddenly, pop went the hook! Go figure!

I'll stick with the "not enough meat" theory for now. But if the situation makes a nasty habit of repeating itself, I might have to concede to trying another hook. Doubt it.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!